5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key fob programming

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Tonight my new key fob programmer came in. I successfully programmed a new fob(now with tailgate open function)for my 22 5th gen that didn’t have that function before. The new programmer will do most makes and models and should pay for itself after a couple uses.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
What kind is it? Can you share a link to it?

skyhawk42

Reaction score
It’s the T-ninja 1000 by topdon. I found it many places online but the best deal was at key4.com. It was on sale for $399 and included the 12+8 SGW bypass harness

Georgf

Reaction score
Tonight my new key fob programmer came in. I successfully programmed a new fob(now with tailgate open function)for my 22 5th gen that didn’t have that function before. The new programmer will do most makes and models and should pay for itself after a couple uses.
Does it require a pin to program the key fob? If so, where did you get the pin? Also can it program only new fob, or used too?

skyhawk42

Reaction score
It did require a pin, but it reads the pin as well. I don’t know about used fobs, it doesn’t mention that at all

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully one wouldn't need to use it more than once per vehicle, if that. Probably not something the average owner would ever need to spend money on.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Probably not for everyone, but I know several people who have wanted the tailgate feature or new fobs with factory remote start and now I can program and charge less than the $175 the dealer wants if you provide your own fob, or even more if you buy it from them. Even locksmiths around here charge $150 just to program it. The way I see it I wanted it, I used it, I have several others that want me to do keys for them as well, and it does many makes and models so it will pay for itself.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
what package 1 or 2 or A or B does one need to have this?

skyhawk42

Reaction score
To my understanding, all of the 5th gens with factory keyless and the electric tailgate release can program a new fob with the tailgate button and it will work. If someone else knows if that’s true please chime in

skyhawk42

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I bought the fob on eBay for $28 new, but doesn’t have the ram logo on the back

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lol, pretty sure the FBI is watching you now. This is exactly how a lot of thieves are stealing Dodges and Rams. Buy a key fob programmer, buy cheap key fobs, smash a window, program a new key, and drive away.

Georgf

Reaction score
Did you find instructions on YouTube on how to do this using a programmer, or is everything simple there? How to get a pin and then program the key?

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Lol, pretty sure the FBI is watching you now. This is exactly how a lot of thieves are stealing Dodges and Rams. Buy a key fob programmer, buy cheap key fobs, smash a window, program a new key, and drive away.
Lol. It’s not super fast and you do need to start with the ignition on, unless you are doing all keys lost, which takes a bit longer. Plus during programming you need the hazards on so it does draw a bit of attention.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Did you find instructions on YouTube on how to do this using a programmer, or is everything simple there? How to get a pin and then program the key?
Everything is included with the programmer. You get the pin in one of the menus and then write it down or remember it and enter it when asked in program mode. All the instructions are on screen and easy to figure out. When I first opened the box I had to create an account and update the software on a pc and download it to the programmer and then it’s ready to go until a new update comes out

deepc6

Reaction score
What brand did you get?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a 3rd key fob for myself from eBay for $39 recently (w/shipping). My fobs all have the buttons for opening the tailgate, remote start, and lowering the air suspension. The fob I got appears IDENTICAL to my factory fobs except for not saying "RAM Limited" on the back.

I took it and one of my originals to a local lock and safe place. They charged me $80 to program the new key and also cut the valet key that is stored inside the fob.

I will probably never need the 3rd key. Or even the second, since I'm single. But, it was cheap enough and gives me a little peace of mind.

ya3coub

Reaction score
It’s the T-ninja 1000 by topdon. I found it many places online but the best deal was at key4.com. It was on sale for $399 and included the 12+8 SGW bypass harness
I will look into it, my car is with one key, my wife lost hers twice, this tool should be amazing as dealers over here are a rip offs more than $1000 for a key replacement.

Never thought of it, thanks allot

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online