5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key fob not working (got washed)

iupui1299

Reaction score
A while back I accidentally left my key fob in my pants and They got washed. Dried key fob out but will no longer work. Even tried new battery and no luck. I see used ones on eBay for fairly cheap. If I buy one from there can I program it to my truck myself? Thanks for any tips!

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A while back I accidentally left my key fob in my pants and They got washed. Dried key fob out but will no longer work. Even tried new battery and no luck. I see used ones on eBay for fairly cheap. If I buy one from there can I program it to my truck myself? Thanks for any tips!
If you are talking about reprogramming a key fob the answer is no. It is in the owner's manual that a key fob can not be reprogrammed. I am not knowledgeable on programming a new key fob.

iupui1299

Reaction score
If you are talking about reprogramming a key fob the answer is no. It is in the owner's manual that a key fob can not be reprogrammed. I am not knowledgeable on programming a new key fob.
If that’s the case then buying a used key fob wouldn’t work for me. I’ll have to look for a new one. Just wondering if I could program that keyfob to my truck or if I would need to pay a dealer to do it?

McBroom

Reaction score
Put new battery in it? May have to take it apart and dry the chip board.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

iupui1299

Reaction score
Put new battery in it? May have to take it apart and dry the chip board.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Tried a new battery, no go unfortunately. It’s been dry for a long time, will have to replace it.

Jako

Reaction score
Tried a new battery, no go unfortunately. It’s been dry for a long time, will have to replace it.
I believe people have put their cell phnes in a bag of rice to dry out. Never tried it but a you tube or google search for a cell phone may give you some ideas. Best of luck. There are also non OEM fobs, no idea of what is available for Ram or price range.

RedSox10NG

Reaction score
What did you wind up doing?

My used 2019 only came with one fob, I would like to buy and program a 2nd fob somehow.

Thanks!

HAL9001

Reaction score
To protect your key fob from water damage, try one of these.

1610337991067.png

I accidentally washed the fob to my previous car with this type of cover on and there was no damage.

tyromeo55

Reaction score
I’ve never actually done it but I’ve heard the following

only new virgin keys are meant to be programmed
Use keys would need to be unlocked. I saw an eBay seller offering the service.

programming by one of three ways... dealer
Alphaobd possibly but must get 4 digit pin from dealer
Dedicated token type programmer like Autel

hope that helps

t-

Jako

Reaction score
I’ve never actually done it but I’ve heard the following

only new virgin keys are meant to be programmed
Use keys would need to be unlocked. I saw an eBay seller offering the service.

programming by one of three ways... dealer
Alphaobd possibly but must get 4 digit pin from dealer
Dedicated token type programmer like Autel

hope that helps

t-
2019 owner's manual states a FOB can not be reprogrammed. But it has also been said that passive entry could not be done.

tyromeo55

Reaction score
2019 owner's manual states a FOB can not be reprogrammed. But it has also been said that passive entry could not be done.
Yep. Like I originally said. it can only be reused if it has been "unlocked". There are people out there soliciting the service for about $20.

Users who are viewing this thread