5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fob Not Detected.....but....it's in my pocket!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hi all,
I been having the same problem with my 2019 RAM1500 Big Horn Crew Cab, I started to get "key fob not detected" about a month after I had the truck.
I's been in the shop now 6 times for the "key fob not detected" problem, they can not figure it out.
I also replaced the 3rd break light with LED, I can not believe that would be the cause of this whole "key fob not detected" problem. But I'm going to the dealer and putting the original incandescent bulbs in and see if it fixed the problem. I also replaced all incandescent bulbs inside the truck as well as head & tail lights.
Actually, if your LEDs are the cheapo chicom kind found on AMZ or eBay, it very well may be the cause of this. Several other here have had the same issue which was resolved by putting in quality LEDs from Diode Dynamics, VLEDS, etc.

Hope you get it figured out.

bonebro

Reaction score
Took my amazon led cargo bulbs out a couple months ago and I have had no key fob issues whatsoever since putting incandescent back in!

RobertB67

Reaction score
Actually, if your LEDs are the cheapo chicom kind found on AMZ or eBay, it very well may be the cause of this. Several other here have had the same issue which was resolved by putting in quality LEDs from Diode Dynamics, VLEDS, etc.

Hope you get it figured out.

I can not believe that an LED would cause this whole key fob problem. I replaced with original bulb and no more key fob problems. Then I replaced with a different LED bulb and so far no problems.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can not believe that an LED would cause this whole key fob problem. I replaced with original bulb and no more key fob problems. Then I replaced with a different LED bulb and so far no problems.
Different brands emit different amounts of electro-magnetic interference, the noisier ones can swamp
the remote receiver.

Konrad

Reaction score
Different brands emit different amounts of electro-magnetic interference, the noisier ones can swamp
the remote receiver.

In my 20-year old Mercedes ML320 with cheapo Amazon LEDs, the FM radio stops playing when I press the brake LOL ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
the remote receiver.
Yep, and if you think about it, you are pressing the brake pedal when starting the truck, thereby energizing the LED light, which causes the interference.

mtbiker033

Reaction score
installed cheap amz led's for cargo & 3rd brake light, started getting this immediately

diode dynamics it is!

just ordered the 3rd brake light from diode dynamics for the 2020 and it was $45

got it yesterday and threw it in, no key fob not detected so far!

Last edited:

Pep_594

Reaction score
I recently replaced my 3rd brake light and cargo lights with Lasfit LED’s. Now two days later I am getting the “no key fob detected”. Same issues as everyone else. All functions of the remote work flawlessly except when I try to start the truck by pushing the brake pedal. I will remove the 3rd brake light LED bulb only and replace with the factory bulb to see if this works. If not I will replace all 3 bulbs. I will update once I do it.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I recently replaced my 3rd brake light and cargo lights with Lasfit LED’s. Now two days later I am getting the “no key fob detected”. Same issues as everyone else. All functions of the remote work flawlessly except when I try to start the truck by pushing the brake pedal. I will remove the 3rd brake light LED bulb only and replace with the factory bulb to see if this works. If not I will replace all 3 bulbs. I will update once I do it.
Replace the build with an LED from Diode Dynamics. That's what I found to work based on a recommendation from another member here.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
194 HP5 LED Red (single)
DD0030S
$10.00

Ordered1
Shipped1
$10.00

Pep_594

Reaction score
194 HP5 LED Red (single)
DD0030S
$10.00

Ordered1
Shipped1
$10.00
Thank you for the info. Do they also offer the cargo LED lights? I replaced the LED brake light with the factory halogen bulb and nothing changed. It is all 3 bulbs causing the issue. I can turn off my cargo LED lights and the truck will read the key fob immediately and I’m able to start the truck per normal operation.

bcliu430

Reaction score
installed cheap amz led's for cargo & 3rd brake light, started getting this immediately

diode dynamics it is!

just ordered the 3rd brake light from diode dynamics for the 2020 and it was $45

got it yesterday and threw it in, no key fob not detected so far!
Is it the third break light or do you have to change the cargo light led as well?

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Is it the third break light or do you have to change the cargo light led as well?
As long as the cargo lights are not illustrated when you go to start the vehicle (such as the door open), you should not get the key fob error.

I put the Diode Dynamics 3rd brake light LED in, but left the cheap Amazon cargo LEDs in with no key fob error.

bcliu430

Reaction score
As long as the cargo lights are not illustrated when you go to start the vehicle (such as the door open), you should not get the key fob error.

I put the Diode Dynamics 3rd brake light LED in, but left the cheap Amazon cargo LEDs in with no key fob error.
Thanks man. I just swapped back to stock bulb today, doesn’t have key fob not detected issue. I am gonna return lasfit and get diode dynamics!

Clint1500

Reaction score
i had key fob interference when i put in a new red LED for the high mount brake light. Found a new LED that said it doesnt cause radio interference and it works fine now. Just another thing to check
I got LEDs for the top brake light and installed them 3 days ago. The next day I started having the issue with my fob signal. I immediately thought the LEDs had something to do with it and you have definitely given me a reason to swap them out and see if it reverts back. Thank you.

brewty

Reaction score
Hello all. I just started having this issue a couple days ago. New batteries installed, battery cycled. Ran the truck for 30 minutes in the driveway with the key near by.... no luck. Anyone find a magic bullet on this? Truck has 33k miles 2019 Laramie.

mtbiker033

Reaction score

Just replaced the 3rd brake light and the issue was gone, when you put your foot on the brake to start it the brake light comes on and caused the interference with the shark fin

brewty

Reaction score
Okay, I dropped my truck off to get looked at on December 28. They determined it was the rear antenna that was bad and ordered a new one... a week later the part arrived and they said it would be ready the next day. The next day they said there was an additional antenna needing to be replaced and ordered that. At this point I said I had to have a loaner vehicle, on day one they said that wasn't an option, and they talked to the Ram Cares people and said I could have one for two days. The rental car policy is they only pay for Chrysler products and the local rental place didn't have any. So, today they got a van back at the rental agency and I picked it up but am told it is due back tomorrow.... waiting to hear from Ram Cares and the dealer on when I can expect to get my truck back and what they want me to do in the meantime...

Forever3297

Reaction score
Just picked up my 2021 Ram Rebel 3 weeks ago, I’ve had issues from day one with both key fobs. I have trouble locking/unlocking from close proximity and truck won’t detect my key fob in my pocket. Very annoying. I have a 2014 Dodge Durango that will work from what seems like a block away; it’s very consistent. Very disappointed with my new Ram.

Users who are viewing this thread