5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key fob detection issues after LED install

Bitwise

Reaction score
I installed Lasfit rear cargo LEDs and a Lasfit interior dome festoon LED earlier today and noticed afterwards that there are issues detecting my key fob. I've had a few cases where the fob was in my pocket but I got a 'fob not detected' message on the instrument cluster and the truck would not start until I took the fob out of my pocket and put it in the cup holder. I've also noticed that the proximity keyless/touch entry does not seem to be as sensitive as it was before. I've had to literally take the fob out of my pocket and find a 'sweet spot' in order for the doors to unlock by grabbing the handle.

This was definitely not an issue until I installed the LEDs today.

Is this all just a happy coincidence or do these aftermarket LEDs introduce some known interference with the key fob?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You need the new style 3rd Brake light from Lasfit and this problem will be solved. Below is the new style you should be using...if not, return the old one for an exchange.

D04EED9C-75D9-43BA-810B-37672C9F0DD3.jpeg
71C47995-B7CC-4CFF-B223-AA5F3702EEB1.jpeg

Bitwise

Reaction score
You need the new style 3rd Brake light from Lasfit and this problem will be solved. Below is the new style you should be using...if not, return the old one for an exchange.

View attachment 76545
View attachment 76546
I didn't replace the third brake light, just the two white cargo lights on either side of it. The third brake light is still the stock halogen. Is the solution the same?

B.Ras

Reaction score
I installed Lasfit rear cargo LEDs and a Lasfit interior dome festoon LED earlier today and noticed afterwards that there are issues detecting my key fob. I've had a few cases where the fob was in my pocket but I got a 'fob not detected' message on the instrument cluster and the truck would not start until I took the fob out of my pocket and put it in the cup holder. I've also noticed that the proximity keyless/touch entry does not seem to be as sensitive as it was before. I've had to literally take the fob out of my pocket and find a 'sweet spot' in order for the doors to unlock by grabbing the handle.

This was definitely not an issue until I installed the LEDs today.

Is this all just a happy coincidence or do these aftermarket LEDs introduce some known interference with the key fob?

I’ve read of others that have had this same issue but I haven’t had any problems with any of the Lasfit LED bulbs that I have installed in my 19 Lonestar. Some LED bulbs output to much RF that interferes with the key fob.

Lasfit LED packages for RAM 1500
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...-RAM-1500.23790/&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like B. Ras, I’ve never had even one problem with the Lasfit LEDs. The solution I provided is from Lasfit for those who have a problem after replacing the 3rd brake light. I’d recommend calling Lasfit tomorrow and speak with them as they have fantastic customer service and will help you get it figured out.

RickWaz

Reaction score
I believe that the Lasfit ("flat") style below is the type that may produce the Key Fob Not Detected error. But the Lasfit ("round") style does not. I have the round style as replacement bulbs for my (2) White Cargo Lights w/ no issues.

1607970591011.png

1607970668361.png

Bitwise

Reaction score
I believe that the Lasfit ("flat") style below is the type that may produce the Key Fob Not Detected error. But the Lasfit ("round") style does not. I have the round style as replacement bulbs for my (2) White Cargo Lights w/ no issues.

View attachment 76584

View attachment 76585
Thanks, sounds like you all have identified my issue. I’m wondering if I’d be better off to just return the lasfit stuff and go with diode dynamics. Any thoughts?

RickWaz

Reaction score
I read that Lasfit will accept the older, flat style and exchange for the newer, round ones that I use w/o issues. But I did go w/ the Diode Dynamics 921 red LED for my 3rd brake light (CHMSL), as I read that even the newer Lasfit red 921 LED might produce the "Keyfob not Detected" error.

Good luck!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lasfit is being a good corporate citizen and exchanging the LEDs. Many of us have had great service from the LEDs...I’d just ask them to swap them out...but have also heard positive things about DD.

J MO

Reaction score
What a 2021 Ram 1500, are they having issues If you change out the cargo lights/3rd brake light with DD or Lasfit LEDs, anybody know???

stlracing289

Reaction score
What a 2021 Ram 1500, are they having issues If you change out the cargo lights/3rd brake light with DD or Lasfit LEDs, anybody know???
Lasfit did not work for me and I have a 21 RAM 1500

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They have a note on their website that the 2021s are different, and their bulbs don't work (or don't work well).
1622592101804.png

J MO

Reaction score
Thank you for your response, do you know which brake light leds works on 2021s???

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for your response, do you know which brake light leds works on 2021s???

For 2021s, other than the official Mopar LED 3rd brake light, I do not.
Mopar unit is part # 68444540AB. However, it gets a little spendy, as it also includes the built-in camera. Seen them going for $350-$400 recently.

To get the camera to work, you'd have to buy the special rear view mirror and appropriate cables (discussed in other threads here on the forum), but the LED lights themselves are plug and play for 2019-2021. Many here just leave the camera unplugged.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You might want to check with Lasfit again as their website now indicates they have LEDs that have been checked and work with the 2021 Ram 1500. (“Bulbs replacement for 2021 Ram 1500. All LED bulbs recommended for the Ram 1500 have been tested. All LED bulbs are plug-and-play. No need for any modification. Choose the bulbs you want and get a new look on your 2021 Ram 1500!”):

Likewise,I’d recommend calling Diode Dynamics to see if their LEDs really fit a 2021. They have great customer service and will tell you straight up of there are any issues or what they would recommend for a 2021 Ram:

Users who are viewing this thread