5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keeping Black Clean

spaightlabs

Reaction score
I have to agree with you there. If I didn't work at a car wash I would have never gotten black.

Last 3 rams have been black. I have a monthly unlimited membership at the carwash mile from my house. Hit it every 2 or 3 days on average...

WasatchBack

Reaction score
Touch wash or any wash?
More like wash yourself only, ZERO exceptions, not once ever. And learn proper wash techniques, high quality chemicals, and use meticulously clean and maintained tools and sponges.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my second black Ram. I don't do automatic car washes, hand wash only and they stay looking brand new over the years.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I owned a black car, once. I almost bought a Black Rebel because it was a $1,000 cheaper with the same equipment, but after realizing the sheer size & scale of the RAM in black, I realized I wasn't committed enough to do that.

Black is usually the best looking color clean, but looks dirty after 30 minutes.

I've noticed however that black RAMs really seem to hold up better than other vehicles. I wonder if it's the metallic color in the paint that does that?

JJWerline

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep a black exterior clean for more that a few minutes after coming out of the wash? I work for a car wash and run my truck weekly but it still looks dirty the moment it rains or anything. I have heard mention of an after market wax/finish that is supposed to be helpful in this department but wondering what the group has to say about it.

Thanks!
The only way to keep the black clean is to paint the truck....anything but black LOL

NDRam

Reaction score
More like wash yourself only, ZERO exceptions, not once ever. And learn proper wash techniques, high quality chemicals, and use meticulously clean and maintained tools and sponges.

I would was at home more, but, we have very hard water here and I have had difficulty in the past not getting water spots. Even drying as soon as I rinse I end up with water spots. The car wash where I work softens their water, blow dries and then hand dries the cars. I don't get water spots.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From a long time black vehicle owner-

Use products and an application where you do not have to do an intensive cleaning each time. $2.00 wash soap from walmart or dishwash soap (oh, the humanity!) and generic protectants will not cut it. Unfortunately, you have to pay $ for decent products and mitts/towels, etc. The key is to clean it and protect it so that when you do regular washes it is more of a maintenance wash (a lot quicker and easy where the dirt and grime should be more quickly removed).

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would was at home more, but, we have very hard water here and I have had difficulty in the past not getting water spots. Even drying as soon as I rinse I end up with water spots. The car wash where I work softens their water, blow dries and then hand dries the cars. I don't get water spots.
Look into buying something like wolfgang uber rinseless wash and dilute properly with distilled water in a hand sprayer. After washing and rinsing the truck spray this on and dry with a microfiber. It will act as a quick detailer and help with buffing out the water spots with ease as you dry the truck.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've always had black vehicles and only ventured slightly off to max steel this time around. I have done sealants in the past, and put a ceramic on myself on the Ram. Hand wash each time. But the real time saver is using ONR for all those light dirty episodes or times it got rained on, etc. I fill one bucket with ONR and high quality microfiber towels. Grab a towel, do a panel, dispose of towel into wash basin. Dry with another towel and a light mist of a detailing booster (I'm using Echo2 for both the ONR and detailing boost diluted at different ratios.)

Using ONR like this for all light washes has been a time and sanity saver for black vehicles. The whole thing looks brand new within 20 minutes.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've always had black vehicles and only ventured slightly off to max steel this time around. I have done sealants in the past, and put a ceramic on myself on the Ram. Hand wash each time. But the real time saver is using ONR for all those light dirty episodes or times it got rained on, etc. I fill one bucket with ONR and high quality microfiber towels. Grab a towel, do a panel, dispose of towel into wash basin. Dry with another towel and a light mist of a detailing booster (I'm using Echo2 for both the ONR and detailing boost diluted at different ratios.)

Using ONR like this for all light washes has been a time and sanity saver for black vehicles. The whole thing looks brand new within 20 minutes.
This is similar to what I do. Good example of a quick maintenance wash.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I should have specified I said "ONR" (which is actually a specific brand, and excellent) instead of a rinseless wash. There are many quality brands out there. Like Jtr mentioned.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Look into a deionizing filter. I had the same problem. I bought the Griots garage portable water deionzer. The nice part about this unit is it has bypass valves so you can quickly switch from regular water to filtered for the rinse.

I'm on well water and my TDS (total dissolved solids) was about 240. With the filter it's 0. Spotless rinsing.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I enjoy washing my truck and trying to keep it clean. I only wash it once every couple weeks and I live in Seattle so it basically looks clean for 30 seconds after I’m done haha! I also ensure I only wash it using the double bucket method.
7892D84D-1406-46C9-AC0D-7C3BA126B384.jpeg B5E08E88-BFD1-4B5B-B3C8-8AD941D45B33.jpeg

Last edited:

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep a black exterior clean for more that a few minutes after coming out of the wash?
Thanks!

11107_16.jpg

Repsol69

Reaction score
Started on this yesterday didn’t get to finish before the rain moved in... gotta love the Florida summers... Anyway did Mothers Clay Bar followed by this stuff .... so far nothing has stuck the the finish like bugs so I’m thinking dirt won’t stick as much too the truck finish was so dry I think the dealership forgot to put any type of wax on it when they detailed it for delivery ... now it’s as slick n smooth
c663591555ef0e4b9ef76e9fe6f02b9a.jpg
6938db32095992f4def15438a953e53a.jpg
as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online