5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keep the 1500 or move onto a 2500?

Carcrazy72

Reaction score
This is where I sit currently. I own a 2019 (bought in 2018) 1500 Bighorn 4x4 with the appearance package. I enjoy the truck besides the poor gas mileage constantly. Ive owned a 2500 Cummins before and it sustained better MPG even towing.... This is where I come to you all for advice. With current interest rates going on and stuff not selling well, Ive looked at trading my 1500 in on another 2500 Cummins with similar options or even going down to a Tradesmen.

The reason being, long term life span. I plan on keeping either this current truck, or next 2500 until payoff and well after. With this, I consider which would be the better option to go with for the long duration. A 1500 with the bells and whistles with the 5.7 or a pretty bare 2500 Cummins Tradesmen?

My towing is pretty basic with a small boat and trailer across a few states over the course of a year and the occasional car trailer or utility trailer. Any of which, my 1500 will pull but at 11MPG....

With my current job, I only drive around 10k miles per year on my truck. If I change jobs, thatll quickly change to 20k plus.

So, For you. Would you pick a 5.7 Hemi or a 6.7 Cummins as your truck to keep for say the next, ten years?

Maconi

Reaction score
How come you aren't considering the gen 3 ED? The 4X4s are rated at 29mpg highway. Can easily tow what you're talking about.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

Cost of ownership of the ED is higher (and you're not really saving any money with diesel fuel costs anyway). The only reason to buy one is if you need the extra towing ability.

Wrecktal

Reaction score
Cost of ownership of the ED is higher (and you're not really saving any money with diesel fuel costs anyway). The only reason to buy one is if you need the extra towing ability.
I disagree. ED cost of ownership is more than a 2500 diesel? The EDs don't tow much more than a Hemi if at all. The ED checks off all the boxes that the OP is asking for.

Maconi

Reaction score
I disagree. ED cost of ownership is more than a 2500 diesel? The EDs don't tow much more than a Hemi if at all. The ED checks off all the boxes that the OP is asking for.

Oh, sorry. I meant vs the 5.7 Hemi 1500. Basically it's better to go with Chevy or GMC if you want a half-ton diesel for towing (if you're laser-focused on cost/MPG). As far as the 2500 I don't know which is better between the 6.4 Hemi or the 6.7 diesel.

(skip to 21:22)

maddog49

Reaction score
That's easy. The 1500. If your not towing allot and heavy no reason to have the diesel. More expensive maintenance, lousy ride and comfort, higher fuel cost. Plus your current truck should be closer to being paid off. A small boat and car trailer a few times a year does not justify a 2500..

GreatWhite

Reaction score
I'd love to jump to a cummins in a 2500, but for right now I can't justify it. I pull a 3,500lb boat ocassionaly throughout the year haha. I'm extremely happy with the 5.7 hemi, and for right now it's perfect for what I need.

In my opinion, it would take a lot of fuel to make up the costs that are associated with trading into a 2500, if you ever make it up at all. Granted, I have absolutely no idea what the details of your trade in are, and frankly it's none of my buisness. It's your money to do with what you please!

parnine

Reaction score
If a purely financial decision (since you don't want the 11mpg when you tow with the 5.7), do the math and unless you basically 'tow all the time, and heavy towing' you will find financially the 1500 w/ 5.7 cost less over the 'life of the truck'. But know one knows your numbers but you, but simple excell spreadsheet with some formulas will let you play with the numbers .....

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends how much you tow, but 11 mpg isn't that bad if it's only occasionally. A Cummins would probabablly get around 16 mpg I'm guessing on higher price diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread