5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

K&N Throttle Control Module

Omiester2

Reaction score
Has anyone installed the K&N Throttle Control Module; PN #20-1576, $275 direct from K&N. Worth the cost? Looks like a straight forward install that's not supposed to bust factory or extended warranties.
Tks
O'

TX_Phil

Reaction score
Following ...
First ive heard of this but want to know more.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

RSConsulting

Reaction score
First off - it only seems to be available for CLASSIC Ram - not the NEW (DT) Rams. At least, according to K&N's Website.

Uses a manual KNOB (instead of software or app), which means you need to find a place to PUT THE KNOB. I can honestly say with the PedalCommander, once I found the "perfect setting", I haven't been in the app in months. It would probably be similar with the K&N Unit, and after you're happy with the setting, you could just tuck it under the dash somewhere. I'm just not that enthused with devices that use more wires than necessary.

While the manufacturers "say" that it won't void any factory warranty - we're pretty well acquainted from stories here, that FCA will do so at the slightest provocation. It really doesn't do any more than modify the signal coming from the sensors on the pedal.

I have a DT Tazer and PedalCommander - BOTH COME OUT when I'm going to the dealer if the truck has to go into the shop. Takes about 2 minutes to pull both (and re-install later). Not worth the chance it's going to end up in some service ticket notes. The Magnuson Moss Act likely DOES NOT COVER add-on electronics designed to modify engine performance. Easier to take the damn thing off.

Totally happy with my PedalCommander - and group buys come up one in awhile to soften the blow.

Rick

20-2599.jpg

Omiester2

Reaction score
Has anyone installed the K&N Throttle Control Module; PN #20-1576, $275 direct from K&N. Worth the cost? Looks like a straight forward install that's not supposed to bust factory or extended warranties.
Tks
O'
So I went ahead and ordered the part. The adventure began! Easy install. Fired up the truck and no throttle response.

Omiester2

Reaction score
The dash board looked like Art Griswald house at Christmas. Unistalled, went back to factory set up and no issues. Reinstalled the K&N part and back to no go and fancy light show. Called K&N and the sent a replacement. Would have been nice if it went to the correct address,they put in the wrong zip. OK, they send the new part, I'm ready for some full throttle fun. Easy install, my back has adapted to cramming my big butt in there. But, wait for it...same issues. Not sure if K&N knew this didn`t in a DT. But I can't be the first person who has tried this with bad results. So I sent it back. And yes it does get worse, the refund could take up to two months. So you've been advised, K&N isn't up to a 5th Gen challenge. Take care all.

Users who are viewing this thread