5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JUST RELEASED! UPDATE THE NAVIGATION

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is an over-the-air update or is it a dvd disk that has to be inserted and read? Anyone done the upgrade yet? I'm considering it as there are quite a few newer existing roads in my area that do not appear in the current system I have (July 2020 build). I also use Apple Car play so maybe I'll just stick with it. Still on the fence.

Thanks !
Don't sweat it, the update you get is a year old map from 2020Q4.

stronbl

Reaction score
Don't sweat it, the update you get is a year old map from 2020Q4.
Thanks for your reply, I'm not sweating it, I just want to know how the update will be managed.

Is it OTA or a physical DVD? Anyone know? Thanks.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You will get 2 USB Sticks. One for the software update and one for the maps.

Reverse

Reaction score

HAL9001

Reaction score
Ironically, if you use the exact same maps on the HereWeGo app on your phone, updates seem to be free. So, if you are attached to the built-in maps, just download the app and use them over Android Auto / Apple CarPlay . Maps can be downloaded, so no data connection necessary.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps
Apple: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id955837609?mt=8
Here's updates may be for free for their own HereWeGo app but this generates thousands of new users which broadens Here's reach which in turn generates more data for its location cloud. A lot of companies may appear to give away things for free or below costs but this generates increased popularity, market share, and/or revenue in some other manner. This is a strategy companies use to grow. Amazon undercut prices and offered two-day shipping to gain global market share. This cost them dearly. It took them five years to realize a profit. Now they're a behemoth. So this strategy can work and many companies try it.

I'm part owner of an emerging ISP that offers low prices. Currently, we're three years old and have yet to make a profit. But we're on target to gain enough customers within a year to become profitable and within five years to become highly profitable.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you're upset about being charged for this update, see this post for an explanation.
Wouldn't be so bad, and I'm sure would be more willing to pay for updates if the UI was better for the factory Nav. I've heard the 12" uconnect works on a form of Android OS, so wouldn't be bad for them to offer google maps for the stock Nav. Or partner with Garmin/Magellan.

HAL9001

Reaction score
Wouldn't be so bad, and I'm sure would be more willing to pay for updates if the UI was better for the factory Nav. I've heard the 12" uconnect works on a form of Android OS, so wouldn't be bad for them to offer google maps for the stock Nav. Or partner with Garmin/Magellan.
I don't think Google sells their map info directly to automotive GPS OEMs other than with Google Automotive Services (GAS). Instead, they are pushing automakers to adapt Android Automotive. Android Automotive, not to be confused with Andriod Auto, is an entire OS for OEM automotive GPS hardware units. However, Stellantis remains committed to Uconnect.

Uconnect 4 does allow you to use Google Maps via Andriod Auto and Car Play but it's currently still limited to the upper half of the 12" screen so the display is not so great.

Magellan products purportedly use Navteq-based maps. Here Technologies acquired Navteq. RAM uses Here maps for Uconnect 4.

Garmin maps are costly from what I hear, Stellantis probably gets a better price from Here Technologies.

The UI for Uconnect 5 is supposed to be significantly better, but that doesn't do us Uconnect 4 owners any good.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think Google sells their map info to automotive GPS OEMs, instead they are pushing automakers to adapt Android Automotive. Android Automotive, not to be confused with Andriod Auto, is an entire OS for OEM automotive GPS hardware units. However, Stellantis remains committed to Uconnect.

Magellan products purportedly use Navteq-based maps. Here Technologies acquired Navteq. RAM uses Here maps for Uconnect 4.

Garmin maps are costly from what I hear, Stellantis probably gets a better price from Here Technologies.

Uconnect 4 does allow you to use Google Maps via Andriod Auto but it's currently still limited to the upper half of the 12" screen so the display is not so great.

The UI for Uconnect 5 is supposed to be significantly better, but that doesn't do us Uconnect 4 owners any good.
You’re rhetoric is getting tired. What skin do you have in this game?

HAL9001

Reaction score
You’re rhetoric is getting tired. What skin do you have in this game?
Seriously?

I'm simply trying to help readers here know how this all works and how it's all interconnected. Most people tune in to these forums for such info and are interested. I always appreciate it when I learn new and interesting things from others in forums that are hard to find anywhere else. Isn't that why we're all here?

I have no skin in this game at all, I'm just a retired industrial engineer who has inside info that I thought people would like to know. Sorry if you find it tiring. But at least you now know more about it than you did before.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I dont understand why android auto can only use half the screen in U4. The phone is doing all the work so it can't be a processor issue with the U4 hardware?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I dont understand why android auto can only use half the screen in U4. The phone is doing all the work so it can't be a processor issue with the U4 hardware?
Phone really isn't doing "all the work". Head unit still has to process the information to properly display it on the screen. And it's probably purposely limiting to make you want to use the built in options that do work full screen.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh nice….good map update with “ bend me over in the butt” pricing.

Hate that stuff isn’t free or automatically included anymore.

2021 Ram Rebel
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (wife)

yellowboy

Reaction score
what a joke, I have a 2019 that I got in June of 2019 it currently doesn't show a road that built here is 2016 !!!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
what a joke, I have a 2019 that I got in June of 2019 it currently doesn't show a road that built here is 2016 !!!
That's because they do annual updates, but only really update larger metro areas, and a then different areas. So it may be in the next update

Users who are viewing this thread