5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

just realized I lost my front license plate.... what's next?

Thr33BlindMice

Reaction score
Just placed an order on an OEM Mopar front bracket for $22...and a new frame (a pair) for $15 on Amazon.

Im in California...front license plate MUST be mounted....will rarely get pulled over but if they do...it's a hefty fine.

also just looked up on DMV.... must surrender the other plate... new plates, new license plate number will be given....and you pay the replacement fee (I dont even know how much).
My question is..... if given new plates... do I have to pay for new sticker? or I can peel off the current sticker and re-use on the new plates?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just placed an order on an OEM Mopar front bracket for $22...and a new frame (a pair) for $15 on Amazon.

Im in California...front license plate MUST be mounted....will rarely get pulled over but if they do...it's a hefty fine.

also just looked up on DMV.... must surrender the other plate... new plates, new license plate number will be given....and you pay the replacement fee (I dont even know how much).
My question is..... if given new plates... do I have to pay for new sticker? or I can peel off the current sticker and re-use on the new plates?
Not familiar with CA but in GA they print the plate# on the tag sticker so it wouldn't be transferable. I would think they would give you a new sticker with the new plates. Sounds like a big hassle, glad we only have 1plate in GA.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

CJR28

Reaction score
I

I would also contact the police and see if you need to file a report like in here in NY. They put it in their system as lost/stolen in case someone uses it on a different vehicle. Good luck

GaryT

Reaction score
Youll need a new sticker, but that may be included with the new plate. Those are intended to be non-removable.

spiG

Reaction score
Don't need to call the police but you need to report it to DMV that it was lost. Now unless you believe it was stolen (actual crime) then contact PD so it can be entered into NCIC as stolen.

Ride with one tag, when you report it to DMV you should be given something as proof to carry around with you until you get the new ones. That way if you are pulled you can provide proof that it was lost and waiting on new tags.

As far as paying for a new sticker i'd assume it would just come with one with the same expiration date as the old one just with a new tag number on it. Haven't lived in Cali since 05 when I was stationed in Camp Pendleton so cant remember how they do it.

Thr33BlindMice

Reaction score
UPDATE:
Decided to get up early and go to DMV at 7:15am.
7:30am.... waiting line already wrapped around the building, I think I got about 40 folks in front of me. DMV opens at 9am (COVID hrs)
9am... body temperature checked, got the proper form to fill out.
9:40am .... my number called
10am... got my new plates and new stickers

Total cost: $22.51 for plates. Stickers were no charge.

It sucks but I feel better now. Now I just have to wait for Amazon to deliver new bracket and frame..... that will be this Sunday. In the meantime, I will be driving without the front plate mounted.... I have proofs to show to the cops if I get pulled over... lets hope NOT.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would suggest when you get the new plate mount/bracket that you don't use the little plastic screws it comes with. As I have my Vision X licence plate bracket with a LED light on it those little plastic screws weren't going to cut it so I mounted it with some longer bolts with locknuts.

Thr33BlindMice

Reaction score
I would suggest when you get the new plate mount/bracket that you don't use the little plastic screws it comes with. As I have my Vision X licence plate bracket with a LED light on it those little plastic screws weren't going to cut it so I mounted it with some longer bolts with locknuts.
the new bracket came with 4 stainless screws for the mounting....and 2 self tap metal screws for the plate.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
If you were close, you could have my front bracket, I'm not putting the front plate on

FYI, TX, front plate mounted on front of vehicle required. But, do as U wish.... (going off yer locale as it says TX)

BowDown

Reaction score
FYI, TX, front plate mounted on front of vehicle required. But, do as U wish.... (going off yer locale as it says TX)
Yes it is and none of my cars have front plates.
Its an "enhancement" ticket for the most part when you've pissed off the police, your stop is "enhanced" by one more ticket. I haven't been given a no front plate ticket since my street racing/cruising the strip days.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California

They'll give you new tags with the new plates. I swapped mine out at AAA. If you're a member, it'll only take a couple minutes.

shurik74

Reaction score
OP... I see you live in NorCal as me, for past 20 years I never had front plate and never been pulled over.

Well... well... I do have front plate but different :cool:
IMG_20200724_191109.jpg

turkeybird56

Reaction score
OP... I see you live in NorCal as me, for past 20 years I never had front plate and never been pulled over.

Well... well... I do have front plate but different :cool:
View attachment 68438
Uzbekistan plate??? As in Eastern Europe>

The last European PLates I had on my ride were USAREUR plates. When I got back to USA to TX, I was running a USAREUR plate on MY MC till I got new TX plates, LOL...

shurik74

Reaction score
Uzbekistan plate??? As in Eastern Europe>

The last European PLates I had on my ride were USAREUR plates. When I got back to USA to TX, I was running a USAREUR plate on MY MC till I got new TX plates, LOL...

Yep... Uzbekistan! :p all plates before were from Moscow, RUS

SacRebel

Reaction score
I’m in California and had someone steal my front plate a couple years ago. They got scared off and never got the back. I actually had to go to the police station to file a police report and then take that police report to the DMV in order to get new plates. I don’t recall any fee involved but if there was it was nominal.

TinyDancer

Reaction score
I actually need to replace either the mount or get new screws for the frame I have for mine.

I’d rather just get screws but how difficult is the install? Seems simple enough but I thought the same about my bike’s cable clutch install and now she’s in the shop

Thr33BlindMice

Reaction score
I actually need to replace either the mount or get new screws for the frame I have for mine.

I’d rather just get screws but how difficult is the install? Seems simple enough but I thought the same about my bike’s cable clutch install and now she’s in the shop
I got this and it was super easy to install...took less than 5 minutes... so far so good.. my plate is still there, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread