5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just picked up a 2022! I have a etorque question.

SCA

Reaction score
Hello! A couple of days ago I traded in my 2012 Ram Crew Cab Express that served me well for 130,000 miles. I picked up a black, 2022 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 with the level A group, bucket seats and 3.92 gearing. I absolutely LOVE this truck.

I have a question about etorque. I have not experienced the auto start/stop function yet. I have about 180 miles on it so far. The menu just says "Not ready". It doesnt give a reason. Has anybody else experienced this?

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello! A couple of days ago I traded in my 2012 Ram Crew Cab Express that served me well for 130,000 miles. I picked up a black, 2022 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 with the level A group, bucket seats and 3.92 gearing. I absolutely LOVE this truck.

I have a question about etorque. I have not experienced the auto start/stop function yet. I have about 180 miles on it so far. The menu just says "Not ready". It doesnt give a reason. Has anybody else experienced this?

I keep my AC on low at all times and it never kicks in which I’m happy with.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me. There are a number of stars that must align for the start/stop feature to work. The drivers seat belt must be on, or it won't work. If the climate control hasn't reached the temp you set...it won't come on. Even if I don't have the heat or AC on...if my fan is blowing...it won't come on. The fan thing is comical. I come to a stop light and the truck continues idling, if I push the fan speed down to zero...thunk...the motor stops. :ROFLMAO: Mine didn't start doing it regularly until I had over 300 miles on it if I remember correctly. I bought my truck from a dealer three hours away and the stop/start never kicked in once on the way home.

SCA

Reaction score
I keep my AC on low at all times and it never kicks in which I’m happy with.
Yeah, I have no idea if I will like it or not because I haven't experienced it yet. I cannot see a reason why it should not be working and the truck isnt telling me what the problem is. It's strange.

SCA

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me. There are a number of stars that must align for the start/stop feature to work. The drivers seat belt must be on, or it won't work. If the climate control hasn't reached the temp you set...it won't come on. Even if I don't have the heat or AC on...if my fan is blowing...it won't come on. The fan thing is comical. I come to a stop light and the truck continues idling, if I push the fan speed down to zero...thunk...the motor stops. :ROFLMAO: Mine didn't start doing it regularly until I had over 300 miles on it if I remember correctly. I bought my truck from a dealer three hours away and the stop/start never kicked in once on the way home.
Thanks! I read the check list and had everything turned off. Maybe it will behave normal once I add some miles.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I have no idea if I will like it or not because I haven't experienced it yet. I cannot see a reason why it should not be working and the truck isnt telling me what the problem is. It's strange.
can you post your VIN number. I'm nosy and want to see your window sticker and build sheet

german88

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing for 200-300 hundred miles after I bought it. Almost never kicked in. Once I drove my normal routine trips for a week, it works 99% of the time regardless of AC/heat fan speed etc.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score

Mine worked from day one when they dropped it off to me last week. My wife has it in her 2017 Cherokee but it hardly ever works because she works from home so it sits all week. The issue is the battery isn’t charged enough for it to work. If we drive it for a long road trip(it took almost all of 1100 miles) it works again like it should. Not saying it will take 1100 miles but that’s what it took once for hers.

I didn’t read the above posted thread but also make sure you don’t have it disable. I can’t imagine the hvac or anything else would be an issue. Easiest thing is to take it to the dealer if it continues.

BNeal

Reaction score
...I have a question about etorque. I have not experienced the auto start/stop function yet. I have about 180 miles on it so far. The menu just says "Not ready". It doesnt give a reason. Has anybody else experienced this?
Count your blessings - I hate that damn thing. I wish they would allow you to permanently turn it off.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Trucks on the lots currently are slim picking and most of the higher trim models on the lots have this system. And wait times to order one are growing, even when you order a truck there is no telling if you will get exactly the options you want.

Not buying a truck you want simply because it has this system is a bit silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Again: Just buy the truck you want and not spend the $100 to disable a feature you just spent $2295 to have on the truck.
If I had ordered my truck, I would have ordered it without etorque. I looked for weeks until I found the truck with the features I wanted. Who knows how long it would have taken to find a truck with those features but without etorque would have taken? I considered buying, but they had stopped taking orders for 2021's and it didn't look like they would be building 2022's for months (this was early May). Turns out I chose well, since I was able to use my truck for almost 6 months before the first 2022's started being delivered to customers. I honestly didn't want etorque but it wasn't a deal-breaker.

As far as paying more for it, both engine choices cost the same on my 2021. There is no longer an up charge for etorque. So you're statement about spending $2295 is false for many of us.

I've owned two trucks with etorque. On both of those the stop/start function worked from the day I test drove them. Both trucks were dealer trades, so there were a couple hundred miles on each when I took delivery. The first one had a little over 200 miles and the second one had about 150 miles.

Last edited:

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Trucks on the lots currently are slim picking and most of the higher trim models on the lots have this system. And wait times to order one are growing, even when you order a truck there is no telling if you will get exactly the options you want.
Not buying a truck you want simply because it has this system is a bit silly.
In late August I looked for 3 days at 5 major citys within 600 miles for the 2021 truck I needed, not wanted. I found no less than 10 trucks I would have purchase but all were E-torque. No Way !!!! Ram couldn’t give these things away so they made them same price for either Hemi version and sent them to the dealers and they sat while regular Hemi were selling. Imagine that…lol. I don’t buy what I don’t want and ordered Exactly what I wanted knowing the 2022 lead times.

I was prepared (borrowed a truck) to wait 4 -5 months to get it, and made the wise choice, because I got what I wanted and now happy with my purchase.

Today the 2022’s are on the lots. My dealer has five 2022’s, all regular Hemis. They also have two 2021 with e-torque still sitting from when I ordered my truck Sept 1st.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To Activate The Autostop Mode, The Following Must
Occur:
1. The system must be in STOP/START READY state. A
STOP/START READY message will be displayed in the
instrument cluster within the Stop/Start section. Refer to
“Instrument Cluster Display” in “Getting To know Your
Instrument Panel” for further information.
2. The vehicle must be completely stopped.
3. The transmission Gear Selector must be in DRIVE and the
brake pedal depressed.
The engine will shut down, the tachometer will move to the
zero position and the stop/start telltale will illuminate indi￾
cating you are in an Autostop. While in an Autostop, the
Climate Controls system may automatically adjust airflow to
maintain cabin comfort. Customer settings will be main￾
tained upon return to an engine running condition.

Possible Reasons The Engine Does Not Autostop
Prior to engine shut down, the system will check many safety
and comfort conditions to see if they are fulfilled. In
following situations, the engine will not Autostop:
• Driver’s seat belt is not buckled.
• Driver’s door is not closed.
• The vehicle is on a steep grade.
• Cabin heating or cooling is in process and an acceptable
cabin temperature has not been achieved.
• HVAC is set to full defrost mode at a high blower speed.
• Engine has not reached normal operating temperature.
• Engine temperature too high.
• The battery is charging.
• The transmission is not in DRIVE.
• Hood is open.
• Vehicle is in 4LO transfer case mode.
• Accelerator pedal input.
• Excessive 12 volt loads.

To Manually Turn Off /ON The Stop Start System
1. Push the STOP/START Off/on switch (located near the gear
selector). The light on the switch will illuminate or turn off.
STOP/START OFF Switch Below 4x4 Switch
2. The STOP/START OFF message will appear in the
instrument cluster display. Refer to “Instrument Cluster
Display” in “Getting To Know Your Instrument Panel”
for further information.
3. At the next vehicle stop (after turning off the STOP/
START system) the engine will not be stopped.

Users who are viewing this thread