5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

just ordered a Laramie yesterday

Reaction score
Hi there, been lurking around for the last couple months finalizing a decision on a new truck. Finally went with a Laramie with some options larded on top.

This'll be my second (Dodge) Ram, first was a '94, first year of the big-rig style. I'm currently driving an '86 Chevy C10 short bed, with a big block dropped in by the previous owner. It doesn't have the benefit of any smog control, and I'm tired of erasing a month off my life expectancy every time I drive it. It sounds good though!

I've had a variety of trucks from the big three (and an ancient Toyota), so I'm not really a brand loyalist. I ordered this truck because it beats the competition like a rented mule. Nobody wins in every category, but this has all the capability I need and treats the driver like royalty. Ford interior looks and feels like it was designed to be cleaned out with a hose. Worse, Chevy forgot to redesign the interior (can you see them slapping their foreheads over that oversight?). The current Toyota is old enough to vote. Nissan? 'nuff said.

Anyhow, you guys have already been helpful even if you didn't know it. So, thanks.

S. Whiplash

S

Smashy71

Hi there, been lurking around for the last couple months finalizing a decision on a new truck. Finally went with a Laramie with some options larded on top.

This'll be my second (Dodge) Ram, first was a '94, first year of the big-rig style. I'm currently driving an '86 Chevy C10 short bed, with a big block dropped in by the previous owner. It doesn't have the benefit of any smog control, and I'm tired of erasing a month off my life expectancy every time I drive it. It sounds good though!

I've had a variety of trucks from the big three (and an ancient Toyota), so I'm not really a brand loyalist. I ordered this truck because it beats the competition like a rented mule. Nobody wins in every category, but this has all the capability I need and treats the driver like royalty. Ford interior looks and feels like it was designed to be cleaned out with a hose. Worse, Chevy forgot to redesign the interior (can you see them slapping their foreheads over that oversight?). The current Toyota is old enough to vote. Nissan? 'nuff said.

Anyhow, you guys have already been helpful even if you didn't know it. So, thanks.

S. Whiplash

Congo rats! Hope you got the 33 gal tank.

M

Mdegen93

I’m dead with the Toyota being old enough to vote :ROFLMAO:. Glad you chose to get a Laramie. I have one and love the thing more and more every day.

S

Smashy71

Err, no. Was that a fatal error? I figured I'd get over 400 miles of range @ 18mpg combined. Is that a case of unwarranted optimism?
With 3.92 gears you will be lucky to get 15 combined. I’m getting 14.7- 15.3 with 3.92 gears. I’m not heavy on the foot either.

Reaction score
You get coil suspension or air ride?

Coil. Air ride sounds great but trying to fly under the WAF.

The partial enchilada:

quad cab
4x4
V8 e-torque
3.21 axle
equip. Level 1
trailer brake controller
center console
bed step
bed utility group
mats

They're actually putting the order in tomorrow, not too late to add 33 gal tank.

S

Smashy71

Coil. Air ride sounds great but trying to fly under the WAF.

The partial enchilada:

quad cab
4x4
V8 e-torque
3.21 axle
equip. Level 1
trailer brake controller
center console
bed step
bed utility group
mats

They're actually putting the order in tomorrow, not too late to add 33 gal tank.
You won’t regret it. Trade in your etorque for air ride. Lol. To each its own on those really. I tow a bunch and wanted the air ride and bought extended warranty if the air ride malfunctions.

S

Smashy71

Hmm. It's a quad cab so a little lighter maybe, and 3.21 axle. But maybe I'm being overly optimistic.
Ah Ok. I thought you ordered 3.92. Only thing with 3.21 if you decide to raise it and add bigger tires it will get confused between 7th and 8th.

Reaction score
Ah Ok. I thought you ordered 3.92. Only thing with 3.21 if you decide to raise it and add bigger tires it will get confused between 7th and 8th.

I thought about it. But I'm never going to tow anything big and I'd rather get better efficiency. I don't need a crew cab and the quad setup helps on payload which is more important to me.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Err, no. Was that a fatal error? I figured I'd get over 400 miles of range @ 18mpg combined. Is that a case of unwarranted optimism?
I can get over 400 miles with 3.92 /4x4 and my 26 gallon tank on the highway. I usually get over 400 miles driving city/highway going to and from work everyday. I average 15.5 to 17 in combined driving; around 19 on the highway if I stay under 75 mph. I have a pretty light foot and keep that ECO light on like I'm playing a game. But even for the times I get on it; it isn't that bad. Idling in traffic with stop and go is the real killer.

Reaction score
I can get over 400 miles with 3.92 /4x4 and my 26 gallon tank on the highway. I usually get over 400 miles driving city/highway going to and from work everyday. I average 15.5 to 17 in combined driving; around 19 on the highway if I stay under 75 mph. I have a pretty light foot and keep that ECO light on like I'm playing a game. But even for the times I get on it; it isn't that bad. Idling in traffic with stop and go is the real killer.

I'll be happy if I can get a 400mi range. My tank is 23 gallons, probably because of Quad Cab. Maybe etorque will add a bit, but I strongly suspect that's going to be a wash at best given the added weight and cost. But based on how it performed on the test drive I won't have to turn off start/stop. It was pretty seamless- I was smoothly underway with no lag. I also got the standard wheel/tire package. Larger, heavier wheels do no favors for gas mileage.

My only concession to weight was 4-wheel drive, because 4-wheel drive. Also saved weight and money on roof windows I can't see out of. Maybe you've noticed I don't want anyone getting too comfortable in the back seat.

Reaction score

I seem to be seeing a lot of Rebel owners getting disappointing mileage numbers. I'm thinking larger tires, higher ride height and (I think) no retractable air dam. It would be nice if manufactures gave EPA numbers for trim levels that varied significantly from the norm.

You're right about the e-torque. I almost left it off the build sheet. We'll see if it pays off but my expectations are not high. My biggest concern is that I've added more points of failure.

S

Smashy71

I seem to be seeing a lot of Rebel owners getting disappointing mileage numbers. I'm thinking larger tires, higher ride height and (I think) no retractable air dam. It would be nice if manufactures gave EPA numbers for trim levels that varied significantly from the norm.

You're right about the e-torque. I almost left it off the build sheet. We'll see if it pays off but my expectations are not high. My biggest concern is that I've added more points of failure.

I’m completely satisfied with my mpg. 14.7 total mpg from my trip B with 3200 miles. Half was towing a tahoe half way across the country.

Reaction score
Half was towing a tahoe half way across the country.
That's pretty amazing. I'm not sure how much towing I'm going to do but at most a small single axle RV trailer.

I was on the mpg thread for awhile though and it seemed like everyone was all over the map. Luck of the draw? I'm concerned but not going to lose sleep over this. And I'll wait for break-in before I pay too much attention to my own results.

S

Smashy71

That's pretty amazing. I'm not sure how much towing I'm going to do but at most a small single axle RV trailer.

I was on the mpg thread for awhile though and it seemed like everyone was all over the map. Luck of the draw? I'm concerned but not going to lose sleep over this. And I'll wait for break-in before I pay too much attention to my own results.

I don’t know how much this has to do with break in or what. When I started the the tow from northeast Oklahoma to north Idaho my average was only 12.7 and I had right at 740 miles when I started the tow. I wasn’t sure how much weight I was towing so I googled the weight of the Tahoe (2door) 4500ish pounds trailer 1900ish pounds. That alone roughly 6500 tow weight. I also had the bed the crewcab and the Tahoe insides stuffed to the brim. I guessing another 1,000 pounds. If I had to guess overall weight including the rebel was over 12,000 pounds. Going 1800 plus miles towing that weight, did it have an affect on break in, who knows? But, what I do know is my eco light stays on like a Christmas’s tree and my mpg average has increased for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread