5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just level or lift with slight increase in tire size 275/70R18-295/70R18

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got a 2022 Backcountry that comes stock with the ORG. I would like to go up a size or two to 275/70R18 or maybe 295/70R18. It looks like I have a good deal of rake that I would like to level out. Curious what others have done? Right now with the stock Backcountry 275/65R18 it looks like my truck skipped leg day :LOL: Want to get rid of that look and get it leveled at the same time without making the ride worse.

Also, eyeing the Readylift group buy and trying to figure out if something they have would work well.

DAVE

Louhound88

Reaction score
I've got a 2022 Backcountry that comes stock with the ORG. I would like to go up a size or two to 275/70R18 or maybe 295/70R18. It looks like I have a good deal of rake that I would like to level out. Curious what others have done? Right now with the stock Backcountry 275/65R18 it looks like my truck skipped leg day :LOL: Want to get rid of that look and get it leveled at the same time without making the ride worse.

Also, eyeing the Readylift group buy and trying to figure out if something they have would work well.

DAVE
I have a 21 Ram with just a 2.5" motofab leveling kit. Non-org suspension, so maybe 1" higher than what yours is stock?

I have 295/65r20 that come out to 35.1x11.6x20. Installed on the truck it measures more like 34.8"x11.8" with Yokohama Geolandar MT's. No rub. Only concern was with the inner tire sidewall touching the UCA. But with the slight angle change using the front spacer, it clears easy. No rub anywhere else. Truck is level now, with maybe .5" rake.

My ride wasn't worsened at all with the leveling spacer. Do have some bump steer because of the extra unsprung weight of the heavier tires, but not too bad really. Definitely manageable, and I live in Louisiana where driving in the ditch would be smoother than driving on the actual paved roads at times.

20220106_164552.jpg 20220106_164847.jpg

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Subscribed. I wanna do the same but waiting till my stock tires are worn out.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks @Louhound88 . Looks like it sits pretty level. Those tires fill the wheel wells out nicely but are bigger than I was looking to do but it gives me a good idea.

baltorex

Reaction score
I first installed the 295/70R18 on my stock Backcountry (First Pic). It rode fine with a tiny bit of rub at full turn. I recently had the Rough Country a 3.5 in lift to get a little more clearance. I haven't driven it yet but the tech sent me a pic (2nd+ 3rd) Maybe this will help with your decision. IMG_0858.jpg image000001 (1).jpg image000000.jpg

Reaction score
I have a 21 Ram with just a 2.5" motofab leveling kit. Non-org suspension, so maybe 1" higher than what yours is stock?

I have 295/65r20 that come out to 35.1x11.6x20. Installed on the truck it measures more like 34.8"x11.8" with Yokohama Geolandar MT's. No rub. Only concern was with the inner tire sidewall touching the UCA. But with the slight angle change using the front spacer, it clears easy. No rub anywhere else. Truck is level now, with maybe .5" rake.

My ride wasn't worsened at all with the leveling spacer. Do have some bump steer because of the extra unsprung weight of the heavier tires, but not too bad really. Definitely manageable, and I live in Louisiana where driving in the ditch would be smoother than driving on the actual paved roads at times.

View attachment 133274 View attachment 133275
What is the front spacer that adjusted the angle??

Louhound88

Reaction score
What is the front spacer that adjusted the angle??
Just the motofab 2.5" leveling spacer did it. The strut connects from the truck down to the lower control arm. Leveling spacer goes on top the strut, making the strut longer. Now the lower control arm is being pushed further away from the truck mount. Now the truck sits higher.

The upper control arm follows the lower control arm and angles more down too. Making it move slightly away from the tire.

Booch

Reaction score
I put Readylift spacer and control arms on my Rebel (just the spacer, not the coil spacer), and a 1" Motofab spacer in the rear, with a Hellwig swaybar. I've got about 1.25" of rake. Initially had 295/70R18 Fuel Rebels -12, but had problems with the caliper clearance, and they rubbed a lot on the driver side. I have 295/60R20 -12 now, and they occasionally rub a little (it's a slightly smaller diameter), but do ride better than the 295/70R18.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@baltorex now that you have had the lift for a while what are your thoughts on tire/lift combo? Do you have any straight on side shots?
Thanks!

Kemcar

Reaction score
Ok adding to this because I have a 2022 1500 on the way from the factory and reallyyyyy enjoy the leveled look and want slightly larger tires and dont want to have to worry about rubbing. However, as I research the options and weight what I want to do I am torn between a small front level with spacers/pucks and a more aggressive over haul (shocks/struts, control arms, etc.). My family has land and cattle so I will be towing occasionally, and I go hunting in Colorado yearly so light off-roading will be done as well. My biggest fear and question I guess is I have a brand new truck I want it to look how I want but I don't want the suspension falling apart in 3-5 years due to the changes I made. I plan on keeping this truck a good while. So thoughts? Leveling kit vs. new struts and control arms to level a new Ram.

Looking at this as of now:
RC 2in leveling pre loaded struts w/ RC upper control arms.

Users who are viewing this thread