5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just installed the S&B CAI, and my impressions so far

Firebird

Reaction score
Finally got around to installing my S&B, and dang, that thing is huge! Fairly simple install, roughly 30 minutes. It is definitely a quality unit all the way, and I decided to run it with the plug out. Sound is very sweet, however, it is quieter than my 2015 Hemi, which surprised me. I am not disappointed, as my 2015 was too loud to me. Under normal around town driving, you don't hear any difference on the intake side, under hard acceleration, it roars! It has made my exhaust sound a little deeper too, not really louder, just a deeper tone.

Under full throttle, it pulls very hard and fast. Driveability is excellent, throttle response feels improved. I do not feel any loss in bottom end (which I did in my 2015) and I love how it pulls above 2500 rpm's! For $299, I am very pleased, and feel that it is worth the money. Did it add any hp? probably not, but it definitely added to overall driveability and enjoyment. I'm sure it will get even better as I continue to add additional mods. Oh yeah, I went with the non-oiled filter.

Lit_AF

Hardware Geek - Pro Detailer
Reaction score
Awesome, which filter media are you running?
I agree on the CAI its huge I had to ditch my billet catch can haha.
Did you have any top poly carbonate cover tolerance issues? I had to sand mine for some time to fit flush.

Firebird

Reaction score
Fi
Awesome, which filter media are you running?
I agree on the CAI its huge I had to ditch my billet catch can haha.
Did you have any top poly carbonate cover tolerance issues? I had to sand mine for some time to fit flush.

Fit is pretty good, it could stand just a little sanding, but it sealed just fine.

Lit_AF

Reaction score
Fi

Fit is pretty good, it could stand just a little sanding, but it sealed just fine.

Hmm, I could've forced it close, BUT with heat it may wrap.
You running the dry filter? It sounds beast specially at low rpms.

Firebird

Reaction score
Hmm, I could've forced it close, BUT with heat it may wrap.
You running the dry filter? It sounds beast specially at low rpms.
Yes, I went with the dry filter. Really quality filter too!

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
I just ordered the S&B with the dry filter today. I ordered through S&B directly and I added the filter wrap too. Can't wait to install.

Lit_AF

Reaction score
I just ordered the S&B with the dry filter today. I ordered through S&B directly and I added the filter wrap too. Can't wait to install.
My only advise is do not be scared to tighten the filter harder, mine fell due to vibration. Yea talk about over tightening OCD.

agjr85

Reaction score
I picked up a used AFE pro and I feel the same way in terms of performance. Quiet and when you womp the pedal it roars.
A slight increase in mpg (less than 1mpg), and feels a hint smoother when accelerating.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
Just installed today and I'm really liking it so far. S&B with filter wrap. Makes the truck sound a bit meaner. My satellite radio, backup cam and seat controls haven't come back yet, but its only been about 45 min since I reconnected the battery. Like I've read, I'll just give it a couple hours.

Attachments

• 20191109_130112.jpg
    20191109_130112.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 20191109_130100.jpg
    20191109_130100.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 20191109_130054.jpg
    20191109_130054.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 87
  • 20191109_130048.jpg
    20191109_130048.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 90

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
Just installed today and I'm really liking it so far. S&B with filter wrap. Makes the truck sound a bit meaner. My satellite radio, backup cam and seat controls haven't come back yet, but its only been about 45 min since I reconnected the battery. Like I've read, I'll just give it a couple hours.
*Update

So I have been driving around for the last two days and here is my impression so far. I like the added sound from both the engine and exhaust, cant really comment on any gains. I'm also feeling increased vibration from the engine through the accelerator pedal around 2K rpm. This happens when I'm already moving and trying to accelerate. It seems there is a lag and vibration before it gets going, anyone else notice this?

Then there is mpg. It's a little early still, I know, but this is what I've seen so far. It seems that accelerating from a stop is worse by 1-2 mpg and I can feel it. However, it seems when I'm maintaining speed the mpg is better then it was. For example, my last tank driving mostly to work and back averaged 16.3 (computer was 16.8). Today to work and back the computer is saying 17.3 so it seems a little better.

Overall I'm wondering how everyone elses experience has been. Right now I have the dry filter with wrap and the plug is out. I'll run it this way for this tank and then put the plug in for the next tank and see how that changes things. Also, my exhaust is stock so I'm wondering if a less restrictive exhaust would make for lest strain on the engine pulling in air. Or maybe the system needs some time to readjust to the increased air flow. Thoughts?

Firebird

Reaction score
*Update

So I have been driving around for the last two days and here is my impression so far. I like the added sound from both the engine and exhaust, cant really comment on any gains. I'm also feeling increased vibration from the engine through the accelerator pedal around 2K rpm. This happens when I'm already moving and trying to accelerate. It seems there is a lag and vibration before it gets going, anyone else notice this?

Then there is mpg. It's a little early still, I know, but this is what I've seen so far. It seems that accelerating from a stop is worse by 1-2 mpg and I can feel it. However, it seems when I'm maintaining speed the mpg is better then it was. For example, my last tank driving mostly to work and back averaged 16.3 (computer was 16.8). Today to work and back the computer is saying 17.3 so it seems a little better.

Overall I'm wondering how everyone elses experience has been. Right now I have the dry filter with wrap and the plug is out. I'll run it this way for this tank and then put the plug in for the next tank and see how that changes things. Also, my exhaust is stock so I'm wondering if a less restrictive exhaust would make for lest strain on the engine pulling in air. Or maybe the system needs some time to readjust to the increased air flow. Thoughts?

I probably have 200 miles on mine now, and drivability is still excellent. It seems more responsive all over the power band no matter what gear or rpm. It rev’s so much faster now too! I can’t say I feel any vibrations, but definitely throaty when throttle is applied. I am also running with the plug out, but no sock.

Planning on getting the Moe’s throttle body next (had it on my 2015) and that adds even another level of drivability, was thrilled with it before. Nothing I have added ad’s monster HP, but it sure helps maximize what we already have in these Hemi’s.

Users who are viewing this thread