5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just found out my truck is from Canada.. no more warranty.. a week after purchase

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
AG is just a mediator. If you want to take action, you’ll need to contact an actual attorney which will result in some out of pocket expense. Worth the consultation
If the attorney is worth their weight, and it's a slam dunk case, they will work attorney fees into the compensation from dealership so, in the end, he wouldn't be out any money. Will probably have to pay something up front just for initial consult though

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
If the attorney is worth their weight, and it's a slam dunk case, they will work attorney fees into the compensation from dealership so, in the end, he wouldn't be out any money. Will probably have to pay something up front just for initial consult though
Yes, finally had one call me Saturday.. he is looking into it and getting back to me Monday. Said normally a formal letter sent by an attorney office to the dealership usually kicks the dealership into a resolution mode.. but will have to pay 1-2k retainer fee/deposit up front

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A friendly piece of advise -

I always recommend taking a buddy with you when buying used. Taking the wife is fine but you want someone who Is not emotionally tied to the purchase.

Explain to that person they are there to point out everything wrong the vehicle, the deal and even the way the salesman is dressed. You want someone who is objective and will not hesitate pointing out things to you. They need to be on their toes and explain you buy them lunch or dinner as soon as you roll off the lot. Every time the salesman or sales manager asks who I am when I do this, I politely explain I’m there to help keep them honest...they hate that as they know it is an unemotional set of eyes on their deal.

A fresh set of eyes and constant advice from a friend during the buying process can save you a ton of grief later. Ultimately, you as the buyer make the decision but it’s my job to ensure you have all the facts available to you so you can make a sound decision.

I’ve done it for my kids, relatives, coworkers and friends, and I’ve always been thanked afterwards…whether they purchased the vehicle or not. It is amazing what you see, hear and feel when you aren’t the one making the purchase.

Last edited:

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
It's despicable if US dealers are misrepresenting vehicles they are importing from Canada. From a Canadian RAM owner there is a bit of a silver lining from US dealerships buying up used RAMs up here. The trade-in value of our trucks have gone through the roof.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Their actions were bad and wrong.
But i have a question... Did they offer you $5k discount after you found out about it being from Canada?
I'll be honest, I'd take the money and buy a 5Y/100,000 Miles warranty from Zeigler for less than half and spend the rest on mods...
Or even if you don't want to buy a warranty, Just fix the issues with the money they offered you, there's no way it's more than $5k.
IDK... I don't like it when I'm being scammed but I think I see an opportunity here, Not a scam.
You only had 5k miles left on the warranty anyway.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I'd take the money and buy a 5Y/100,000 Miles warranty from Zeigler for less than half and spend the rest on mods...

Canada vehicle would be ineligible for a MaxCare plan in the U.S. There is literally zero factory support. Third party would be the only option

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Canada vehicle would be ineligible for a MaxCare plan in the U.S. There is literally zero factory support. Third party would be the only option
Isn't Zeigler a 3rd party?
If it isn't... I bet you have a lot of other options

TangoFoxtrot

Reaction score
Man I feel for ya, that just blows. See what Vroom will offer to buy it from ya, maybe you can get lucky and sell it with minimal loss. That's one shady dealer to not disclose that it came from Canada and show that it still has a warranty. I know on my paperwork, I had to sign where it showed the warranty and how much was left from the original. If you were to find that same form it would help build a legal case against the dealership that sold it to you, breach of contract or failure to disclose.

afphinfan

Reaction score
Sorry this happened to you. While I was looking a few weeks ago I was using this url to look at the window sticker of any truck I was considering: https://chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=<VIN>. Even when working with a local guy who goes to auctions, I would take the list of Ram 1500 trucks, and wrote a program to parse the VIN and then write out a window sticker pdf file per truck. That is where I first realized how many Canadian trucks were being sold at the Manheim, PA auction. About half were in English the other half French so I guessed it depended on whether they were from Quebec or something like that.

Anyhow, I pray this works out for you ... I like the aforementioned idea of taking the $5k and getting an aftermarket warranty. Once all the stuff is fixed I'll bet it will be a great truck for you. Good luck and take care.

Users who are viewing this thread