5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just found out my truck is from Canada.. no more warranty.. a week after purchase

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
I can confirm that Canadian Rams sold in the US will not have the factory warranty honored… my last Ram was a used 2017 that I didn’t realize was Canadian until after I bought it. Same situation as the OP. I did purchase a 3rd party warranty for coverage but ended up trading it in a month later for my new US-built 2019 Bighorn. And yes I lost $$$, not too much but it still hurt.
It is an FCA policy. Not sure if the others have it too.
Sorry man… that is a crappy situation. Good luck, I hope the dealers compromise with you at least.
I just want them to take it back, hell I told them I would be happy to purchase another truck from their lot if they would
This is the best time to sell a used truck, with the used vehicle shortage on lots because of the microchips. If you truly want out of the truck, try just selling the truck outright to a dealer that offers the highest price to get back as much as you bought it for. That is if you can’t figure out the whole ordeal within 30 days of Purchase with the dealer you bought it from.
Why is the 30 day off purchase crucial?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the best time to sell a used truck, with the used vehicle shortage on lots because of the microchips. If you truly want out of the truck, try just selling the truck outright to a dealer that offers the highest price to get back as much as you bought it for. That is if you can’t figure out the whole ordeal within 30 days of Purchase with the dealer you bought it from.
Just be certain to disclose it is a gray market vehicle if you sell it...
I just want them to take it back, hell I told them I would be happy to purchase another truck from their lot if they would

Why is the 30 day off purchase crucial?
If you were sitting at the dealership, they will most likely take it back and work a deal. However, with them in Iowa and you in Texas, they're playing the percentages that you won't drive up there and will eventually quiet down. If it were me, I'd already be sitting there in their dealership to get this fixed. And I'd let them know, if this can't be resolved with you sitting there, that your next stop will be a local attorney and the television station to show them how shady the are when dealing with gray market vehicles.

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
Just be certain to disclose it is a gray market vehicle if you sell it...

If you were sitting at the dealership, they will most likely take it back and work a deal. However, with them in Iowa and you in Texas, they're playing the percentages that you won't drive up there and will eventually quiet down. If it were me, I'd already be sitting there in their dealership to get this fixed. And I'd let them know, if this can't be resolved with you sitting there, that your next stop will be a local attorney and the television station to show them how shady the are when dealing with gray market vehicles.
Trust me I thought about that.. but the last thing that I need to do, is drive 13 hours up there, nothing gets resolved, I lose it and get thrown in jail.. etc etc..and then drive the 13 hours back.. and just be even more infuriated🤷🏼‍♂️🤬🤬

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
even if it is a Canadian Warranty it's still a modest factory warranty. Are you telling me they build trucks with different problems depending on the country? This makes zero sense to me...unless you are trying to get a warranty claim on some line item that doesn't exist between the 2 countries what are we really talking about here?

Warranties are a legal contract, I'd suspect there's a legal issue contract wise with warranties between the two countries

TTU14

Reaction score
Try plugging it into Carvana or Vroom and see what they offer you. The used market is insane right now in general, but both of those companies are pumped full of investor cash and offering $1000s more than regular dealers. Earlier this year, Vroom took my dad's Wrangler for the same price he paid a year ago, with 10k extra miles. I used a ridiculous Carvana offer on my VW to negotiate with the dealer I ultimately bought my Ram from. Either one of those should get close to what you paid.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try plugging it into Carvana or Vroom and see what they offer you. The used market is insane right now in general, but both of those companies are pumped full of investor cash and offering $1000s more than regular dealers. Earlier this year, Vroom took my dad's Wrangler for the same price he paid a year ago, with 10k extra miles. I used a ridiculous Carvana offer on my VW to negotiate with the dealer I ultimately bought my Ram from. Either one of those should get close to what you paid.
Vroom is very sketchy tho

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Vroom is very sketchy tho
Actually, my brother just sold his Ford F250 to Vroom. He punched it all into their system from his home, they came back with an email offer, he accepted it and they picked up his truck with a smile - and handed him a check. He said it was the easiest vehicle he's ever sold and they paid him handsomely for it.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trust me I thought about that.. but the last thing that I need to do, is drive 13 hours up there, nothing gets resolved, I lose it and get thrown in jail.. etc etc..and then drive the 13 hours back.. and just be even more infuriated🤷🏼‍♂️🤬🤬
And that is the attitude the dealer is counting upon - a customer won't dare drive thirteen hours to get something resolved.

Nothing makes a dealer more uncomfortable than a customer who they know they wronged sitting in front of them (especially when they drove thirteen hours back to demand resolution).

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I sold a ZL1 to Vroom with no issues. Straight forward transaction
Isn’t it a little weird that they wait to send a check… like. TFL almost lost $80k and I called them to sell an F-150 cuz they had the best offer and they were so sketch. Reviews on them Have been terrible too.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually, my brother just sold his Ford F250 to Vroom. He punched it all into their system from his home, they came back with an email offer, he accepted it and they picked up his truck with a smile - and handed him a check. He said it was the easiest vehicle he's ever sold and they paid him handsomely for it.
They handed him a check?! They said they would mail it out to me like a week later. That’s why I said hell no. They change it to the way Carvana does it?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Isn’t it a little weird that they wait to send a check… like. TFL almost lost $80k and I called them to sell an F-150 cuz they had the best offer and they were so sketch. Reviews on them Have been terrible too.

My money was wire-transferred directly into my bank account the next day

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My money was wire-transferred directly into my bank account the next day
AE697E2F-C9DA-4ADB-8822-C039490C01F9.png
That’s what’s on their website and that’s what they told me when I tried to sell to them a few months ago. If they changed it, news to me.

I checked values through KBB (Instant Cash Offer), Carfax, Edmunds (Carmax), Carvana, Vroom, and some local dealers. Ended up going through a dealer here locally and got $40k for the truck a few months later, when the chip shortage was worse off.

Vroom and Carvana seem very volatile for prices. Carvana wanted my truck for $32k, yet Vroom was like $10k more, than few months later Carvana wanted $39k or so, but Vroom stayed the same.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find it extremely hard to believe that the sales people didn't know this was a Canadian truck. The part where he said they had to go much further out of their area to search for inventory tells you that they knew exactly what they were doing. I am assuming they made a nice chunk of money off of this because they sold it almost as a US warrantied truck but bought it super cheap. Honestly not sure how it works with the Mopar extended warranties and if they cover Canadian vehicles but if they do I would recommend getting yourself one of them. Sorry you had to go through this but at least now you know what to look for and it won't happen to you again.

After purchasing my last 3 rams used, I realized there were tons of dealerships doing exactly this. So even pre covid, I was seeing this regularly from many dealerships (I don't buy the innocence story the dealer is giving the OP here). All of these dealers I saw, had used FCA products that were all from Canada with no mention of that, or the lack or warranty. So they obviously know exactly what they are doing and are making out rather well on it I'm sure.

Luckily, even with looking for my first ram I knew about the build sheet/window sticker lookup tools, so I could easily see when the truck was from Canada. It's been almost 20 years since they made this warranty change but not a lot of people know about it or remember it from being news that long ago.

Last edited:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 92365
That’s what’s on their website and that’s what they told me when I tried to sell to them a few months ago. If they changed it, news to me.

I checked values through KBB (Instant Cash Offer), Carfax, Edmunds (Carmax), Carvana, Vroom, and some local dealers. Ended up going through a dealer here locally and got $40k for the truck a few months later, when the chip shortage was worse off.

Vroom and Carvana seem very volatile for prices. Carvana wanted my truck for $32k, yet Vroom was like $10k more, than few months later Carvana wanted $39k or so, but Vroom stayed the same.

Interesting. Then they changed their process since I sold to them.

B3C7497D-7389-493A-8E46-D72CC35B1802.png

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They handed him a check?! They said they would mail it out to me like a week later. That’s why I said hell no. They change it to the way Carvana does it?
Vroom has a dealer here in Stafford, Texas which is ten miles from my son's house...Vroom regularly picks up vehicles in the Houston area and provide a cashier's check on the spot (assuming you've got the title and all documents are executed). They did it right in his drive way and then loaded up his truck on a flatbed and away they went. If I were in Caulk Boss' position, they would be who I would contact online to get a quote of what they'd pay me for it.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Vroom has a dealer here in Stafford, Texas which is ten miles from my son's house...Vroom regularly picks up vehicles in the Houston area and provide a cashier's check on the spot (assuming you've got the title and all documents are executed). They did it right in his drive way and then loaded up his truck on a flatbed and away they went. If I were in Caulk Boss' position, they would be who I would contact online to get a quote of what they'd pay me for it.
Oh well that’s why, yeah I’m up in Ohio. They have to mail it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread