5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just found out my truck is from Canada.. no more warranty.. a week after purchase

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check your paperwork and USED window sticker (not the factory one) to ensure it does not say "as is" or similar. In WI it lists if factory warranty is still in effect, and if so for how long (date and miles), but every state is different. Or see if they stated it had factory warranty on the used sticker.

If the paperwork doesn't say that, then definitely contact the consumer complaint line in Iowa (where you bought it). Usually it is the state's AG office. They will try informal arbitration to resolve the dispute. You have it in writing in that text that they did not tell you it was "as is."

If arbitration doesn't work, you may need to get a lawyer involved.

In the mean time, cancel your extended warranty since they won't cover anything anyway (hut the dealer in the pocket book). For the time being don't blast them on social media or in reviews. Do that once this is over.

Last edited:

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
Check your paperwork and USED window sticker (not the factory one) to ensure it does not say "as is" or similar. In WI it lists if factory warranty is still in effect, and if so for how long (date and miles), but every state is different. Or see if they stated it had factory warranty on the used sticker.

If the paperwork doesn't say that, then definitely contact the consumer complaint line in Iowa (where you bought it). Usually it is the state's AG office. They will try informal arbitration to resolve the dispute. You have it in writing in that text that they did not tell you it was "as is."

In the mean time, cancel your extended warranty since they won't cover anything anyway (hut the dealer in the pocket book). For the time being don't blast them on social media or in reviews. Do that once this is over.

Never saw the used window sticker. I flew in from Texas that day and they already had it up front, nothing on it..

I left them a bad review on their Facebook page🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️. And the last 8 out of 10 reviews on their page all day bad things and crooked stuff they have done.. I found this truck on cars.com and they had a very good rating.. Do I didn't bother to look elsewhere.. Until today..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210503-214055_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-214055_Facebook.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot_20210503-214101_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-214101_Facebook.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot_20210503-214616_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-214616_Facebook.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_20210503-214626_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-214626_Facebook.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_20210503-214632_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-214632_Facebook.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20210503-214640_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-214640_Facebook.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_20210503-214648_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-214648_Facebook.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20210503-214701_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-214701_Facebook.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20210503-214724_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-214724_Facebook.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20210503-214735_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-214735_Facebook.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 96

Caulk Boss

Reaction score

Who would y'all recommend as getting for a good extended warranty? As I'm stuck with this now.. And I damn sure don't want to drive this without even the factory warranty now

Caulk Boss

Reaction score

Just filed with the attorney general of iowa

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210504-010542_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210504-010542_Chrome.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 42

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Who would y'all recommend as getting for a good extended warranty? As I'm stuck with this now.. And I damn sure don't want to drive this without even the factory warranty now
You seem to be panicking a bit. I did after I bought my Laramie in Sept and within a couple days wanted to get rid of it. That dealer didn't attempt to work with me, either (your situation is worse, though). Ultimately kept it and if not for the crazy market right now would keep it, but have a Limited on order that is more what I want (mainly no etorque, slightly larger tank, nav).

Anyway...
First make 100% sure none of your purchase paperwork says there is no warranty. Conversely, see if any of it incorrectly says there is manufacturer warranty. The text you have is huge for your case, assuming nothing in the official sales documents contradicts it.

Also, in WI dealers need to disclose certain and/or major problems with the car. Your truck has plenty of issues it sounds like that should have been disclosed. See if Iowa has similar requirements.

If those things check out, see if the Iowa AG's office involvement gets things moving. If not, have a lawyer send off a letter.

Let this play out a bit. DO cancel your existing aftermarket warranty from the crooked dealer. If it were me, I would not jump into another extended warranty until this is resolved. But if you do want to look, see this thread below. First post, go down to where it discusses extended warranty...

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a random person on the Internet, I would take others' advice and just talk to a lawyer. You probably have to talk to one in the state you purchased the truck. Collect all of your paperwork, text messages and just give them a call and setup a consultation. A half hour with a lawyer will firmly tell you what your options are more than probably we can. Because things vary state to state, whatever happens with you probably won't be applicable to the rest of us but it'd be good to know what protections are in place for you.

It personally sounds to me that you have some sort of case for getting a refund but I don't know.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You seem to be panicking a bit. I did after I bought my Laramie in Sept and within a couple days wanted to get rid of it. That dealer didn't attempt to work with me, either (your situation is worse, though). Ultimately kept it and if not for the crazy market right now would keep it, but have a Limited on order that is more what I want (mainly no etorque, slightly larger tank, nav).

Anyway...
First make 100% sure none of your purchase paperwork says there is no warranty. Conversely, see if any of it incorrectly says there is manufacturer warranty. The text you have is huge for your case, assuming nothing in the official sales documents contradicts it.

Also, in WI dealers need to disclose certain and/or major problems with the car. Your truck has plenty of issues it sounds like that should have been disclosed. See if Iowa has similar requirements.

If those things check out, see if the Iowa AG's office involvement gets things moving. If not, have a lawyer send off a letter.

Let this play out a bit. DO cancel your existing aftermarket warranty from the crooked dealer. If it were me, I would not jump into another extended warranty until this is resolved. But if you do want to look, see this thread below. First post, go down to where it discusses extended warranty...

MaxCare won’t cover a Canadian vehicle in the US, same as the factory warranty.

He’ll have to go third party to get one

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That’s brutal. Is it the same if a Canadian buys a US truck? In 2011 I bought a F350 from the US. Luckily I never needed any warranty work to find out whether they would honour it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it is the same. As a Canadian, we cannot purchase USA Ram trucks and keep the warranty. This is a Ram issue, not a Canadian/American issue.

RamCares (media/service account on this forum from Ram) won't help us Canadians either; apparently we're second rate citizens to Ram.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My understanding of it is that legally FCA USA and FCA Canada are “two different companies”. So they therefore cannot honor the warranty of another company

Same with GM, Ford, etc

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can confirm that Canadian Rams sold in the US will not have the factory warranty honored… my last Ram was a used 2017 that I didn’t realize was Canadian until after I bought it. Same situation as the OP. I did purchase a 3rd party warranty for coverage but ended up trading it in a month later for my new US-built 2019 Bighorn. And yes I lost $$$, not too much but it still hurt.
It is an FCA policy. Not sure if the others have it too.
Sorry man… that is a crappy situation. Good luck, I hope the dealers compromise with you at least.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find it extremely hard to believe that the sales people didn't know this was a Canadian truck. The part where he said they had to go much further out of their area to search for inventory tells you that they knew exactly what they were doing. I am assuming they made a nice chunk of money off of this because they sold it almost as a US warrantied truck but bought it super cheap. Honestly not sure how it works with the Mopar extended warranties and if they cover Canadian vehicles but if they do I would recommend getting yourself one of them. Sorry you had to go through this but at least now you know what to look for and it won't happen to you again.

Cgo

Reaction score
Sux this is your first RAM experience. I was a Ford truck guy until my first RAM which was a 2015 Outdoorsman ecodiesel. Tons of issues with the ecodeisels from that generation but I had a good one. 120k trouble free miles. Best truck I ever owned. On my 2nd RAM now and love it. I also have a really good dealership luckily.

Caulk Boss

Reaction score

Anyway...

So I got this text this morning. Haven't replied.. I'm guessing they saw my review I left on Facebook. I already contacted and turned in a complaint to the Iowa Attorney General too..

I want to reply to the text and tell them, I just want to get my money back. Ethos doesn't cover seals and new dashes, which are the things that will need to be done to fix the wind noise problem (hopefully) and then the problem of the dash hood above the instrument cluster that is coming up/apart..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210504-113107_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210504-113107_Messages.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 148

Wsmith

Reaction score
This text exchange is a slam dunk. They admitted that they did not know about the Canadian vehicle not being covered. Mistake or not they are an FCA/Stellantis dealer (correct). Any court would recognize that they did not disclose correct information, or with held information, knowingly or not. This single text will get your problem solved, unfortunately it will take a lawyer and perhaps court to do so. Sorry, the text I was referring to was the one that stated they did not know about the warranty situation from Canada.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I got this text this morning. Haven't replied.. I'm guessing they saw my review I left on Facebook. I already contacted and turned in a complaint to the Iowa Attorney General too..

I want to reply to the text and tell them, I just want to get my money back. Ethos doesn't cover seals and new dashes, which are the things that will need to be done to fix the wind noise problem (hopefully) and then the problem of the dash hood above the instrument cluster that is coming up/apart..

I would wait for a response from the Attorney General’s office before replying back to them.

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
This text exchange is a slam dunk. They admitted that they did not know about the Canadian vehicle not being covered. Mistake or not they are an FCA/Stellantis dealer (correct). Any court would recognize that they did not disclose correct information, or with held information, knowingly or not. This single text will get your problem solved, unfortunately it will take a lawyer and perhaps court to do so. Sorry, the text I was referring to was the one that stated they did not know about the warranty situation from Canada.
Appreciate the message.. they sent me this text this morning... I haven't responded.. wondering what I should do next.. Already filed last night with Iowa Attorney General

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210504-113107_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210504-113107_Messages.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_20210504-010542_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210504-010542_Chrome.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 89

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
I would wait for a response from the Attorney General’s office before replying back to them.
So I'm the mean time, should I cancel the extended warranty? Like others are telling me to?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I'm the mean time, should I cancel the extended warranty? Like others are telling me to?

Review your documents, there is usually a 30 day window to cancel.

I’d sit tight until you can have some dialogue with the AG.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the best time to sell a used truck, with the used vehicle shortage on lots because of the microchips. If you truly want out of the truck, try just selling the truck outright to a dealer that offers the highest price to get back as much as you bought it for. That is if you can’t figure out the whole ordeal within 30 days of Purchase with the dealer you bought it from.

Users who are viewing this thread