5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just found out my truck is from Canada.. no more warranty.. a week after purchase

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
Ive had nothing but bad time with this truck I just bought. I live in Weatherford Texas.. flew up to Des Moines Iowa to Shottenkirk dealership to buy this 19 Ram Longhorn.. I tried to see if they would take it back 7 days later.. they won't and offered me 5k lower for it than what I just paid them 8 days ago.. I took it now twice to local Ram dealership to have the problems fixed under the factory warranty that they said I still had, 31k with 5k left of bumper to bumper.. the left corner of dash pad is coming up, bad wind noise in cabin..usb outlets/Android auto faulty.. screen has been glitching in last 3 days..it needs the amplifier up update as I have to have it on like 25-35 to play loud..weird grinding noise in steering wheel when making hard turn to the right.. leaking back corner of talgate/out fluid.. leaky gasket type thing.... Just overall a ****ty experience with my first ever Ram.. I picked this truck because it had everything I wanted in it and fell n love with the interior when I test drove some here locally.. but couldn't find any in this color with all the options I wanted..

Long story short, I hate it..I put 7k down..and now I can't even get the factory warranty to cover any of these problems.. the extended warranty I got try the dealership doesn't cover any gaskets, programming updates, dash that needs to be replaced isn't covered..etc etc.. I'm at a loss and sick to my stomach. Never spent this much on a vehicle and regret every second now for trading in my suburban for this..not what I was expecting..

I'm at a loss on what to do now Screenshot_20210503-164720_Messages.jpg

Dealership told me to try and sell it down here. They aren't buying it back Screenshot_20210503-164613_Messages.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210503-164642_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-164642_Messages.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 170
  • Screenshot_20210503-164742_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-164742_Messages.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 167
  • Screenshot_20210503-164756_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-164756_Messages.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 164
  • Screenshot_20210503-135838_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-135838_Messages.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 170

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Being a Canada truck originally should not affect the warranty. Contact RamCares on here with your vin.

Can you file a consumer complaint with the attorney General in Iowa (or whatever office there handles such compaints)? Unless they clearly sold it "as is" you have a case for them misrepresenting the truck's condition.

Also file a formal complaint against the dealership with RAM. All manufacturers take those seriously.

See what Carvana will give on trade.

Immediately get refunded the extended warranty. Should be 30 days full-refund return policy on it.

Maybe contact a lawyer for a quick consultation.

Take a week to do these things and go from there based on what your options are.

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
Being a Canada truck originally should not affect the warranty. Contact RamCares on here with your vin.

Can you file a consumer complaint with the attorney General in Iowa (or whatever office there handles such compaints)? Unless they clearly sold it "as is" you have a case for them misrepresenting the truck's condition.

Also file a formal complaint against the dealership with RAM. All manufacturers take those seriously.

Immediately get refunded the extended warranty. Should be 30 days full-refund return policy on it.

Take a week to do these things and go from there based on what your options are.
Do you have any recommendations on getting another extended warranty? I was with the service advisor here at my local Ram dealership and he showed me the facts about USA won't recognize a Canadian built Ram truck in regards to the 3 year 36k factory warranty.. Only trucks built in the USA

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
See what Ram Cares says, re mfgr warranty. Dealers around here get used Canada trucks all the time and advertise remaining factory warranty. But they might be BS too.

You can get another extended warranty if you want one from Zeigler, surely for a lot less than you paid that dealer. Plus you take away a lot of profit from a dealer that sold you a problem ridden truck and is telling you to pound sand.

JZ787

Reaction score
I looked at a few used Canadian trucks before buying my new 2021. I was told by one dealer that the warranty was no good in the US. Went home and did a little research online and found FCA does not back up the Canadian warranty in the US. Did they provide you with any warranty information on the sales agreement?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Yes it will, Ford has the same policy. A friend almost bought a new Shelby GT 500 from a Canadian dealer. He was doing it through a local Ford dealer when corporate informed him of the warranty loss. He backed out of the deal.

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
Yes it will, Ford has the same policy. A friend almost bought a new Shelby GT 500 from a Canadian dealer. He was doing it through a local Ford dealer when corporate informed him of the warranty loss. He backed out of the deal.
As I would of too if they informed me🤬🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🔫

mctriples

Reaction score
That’s brutal. Is it the same if a Canadian buys a US truck? In 2011 I bought a F350 from the US. Luckily I never needed any warranty work to find out whether they would honour it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
even if it is a Canadian Warranty it's still a modest factory warranty. Are you telling me they build trucks with different problems depending on the country? This makes zero sense to me...unless you are trying to get a warranty claim on some line item that doesn't exist between the 2 countries what are we really talking about here?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You purchased what is known as a gray market vehicle. No warranty. I grew up in Alaska where a dealer (Lybargers in Old Seward Highway) sold gray market vehicles. The vehicles were current model year with only a couple hundred miles on them. The window sticker in these vehicles clearly stated they were gray market with no warranty. They were heavily discounted but had no warranty. When you purchased a Lybarger vehicle you had to sign a form acknowledging you were buying a gray market vehicle with no warranty. Did the dealer not inform you it was a gray market vehicle or did the CarFax not indicate this?

Last edited:

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
You purchased what is known as a gray market vehicle. No warranty. I grew up in Alaska where a dealer (Lybargers in Old Seward Highway) sold gray market vehicles. The vehicles were current model year with only a couple hundred miles on them. The window sticker in these vehicles clearly stated they were gray market with no warranty. They were heavily discounted but had no warranty. When you purchased a Lybarger vehicle you had to sign a form acknowledging you were buying a gray market vehicle with no warranty. Did the dealer not inform you it was a gray market vehicle or did the CarFax not indicate this?
Not at all. I would of never purchased

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210503-213026_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-213026_Messages.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 147

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check your paperwork. I believe they need to disclose a Grey Market Vehicle at the time of sale.

You can tell by the Canadian Maple leaf on the driver door jam sticker. Here is a Ford example

EAAE5189-24FB-46D9-A4C1-1E996AB64B04.jpeg

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
even if it is a Canadian Warranty it's still a modest factory warranty. Are you telling me they build trucks with different problems depending on the country? This makes zero sense to me...unless you are trying to get a warranty claim on some line item that doesn't exist between the 2 countries what are we really talking about here?
Won't even do the Amplifier Tsb ... Because it is Canadian. Makes zero f'ing sense to me

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
This is not a new issue, it’s been going on decades.

Check your state laws for grey market vehicle disclosure requirements or contact the attorney general. This could be your way out
I bought it in Iowa, but live in Texas.. sai the attorney general in Iowa? And excuse my ignorance, who do I reach out to and what exactly do I say?? Any advice/direction would be greatly appreciated

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought it in Iowa, but live in Texas.. sai the attorney general in Iowa? And excuse my ignorance, who do I reach out to and what exactly do I say?? Any advice/direction would be greatly appreciated

You would have to go by the selling dealers state law. So Iowa in your case.

Users who are viewing this thread