5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

just bought 3 weeks ago now in the shop

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
As vehicles become smarter, the service department hire dumber people (cheaper) and just teach them to plug in computer, read code, match code to book and do what it reads.
They don't want people to "think" and replace a part which doesn't require replacing.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As vehicles become smarter, the service department hire dumber people (cheaper) and just teach them to plug in computer, read code, match code to book and do what it reads.
They don't want people to "think" and replace a part which doesn't require replacing.

I don't even know that that's true, I work in IT and it seems to me more and more people don't bother learning how something works or the principles as to why and just take the "book answer" as how to fix the problem which is usually also wrong. Learning how and why something operates is the key to understanding how to correct it. I don't think its necessarily the service dept looking for cheap labor as much as it is the people being hired took shortcuts in their education. In IT, we call them, paper certified admins because in a production environment, they cant fix anything that doesn't occur like it did in the "book/test".

There's plenty of "brain dump" test answer sites on the internet and for almost every occupation, a dealer targeting these types on employees will only end up paying labor 2-3x's which ends up costing them money so I don't think that's it, there's just :poop: choices in the labor force.
I took my truck to the dealer for an alignment, they gave it back to me aligned but with the steering wheel 15° off center to the right (it was previously straight). They re-did it 3 times (4 hours) and the service advisor told me that I couldn't be pleased and that was they best they could do, I told him no, go get your shop foreman. The shop foreman came and said he'd take a look and didn't make it 100' and came back saying it wasn't right and that he'd put his best suspension guy on it.

Literally 5 min later the shop foreman brought the truck back driving perfectly and said he was going to have a talk with the other alignment guy, about that time the service writer walked up and the shop foremen said I want to speak with you about this job.
I doubt that shop was ok hiring a bad tech and tying the alignment rack up for 4 hours then having to place another tech on the job.
Foreman came back to talk to me before I left and said he wasn't paying the 1st tech for the job and was going to pay the 2nd that fixed it. Foreman was a car guy and we got to talking about cars and he expressed his frustration with the labor force

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't even know that that's true, I work in IT and it seems to me more and more people don't bother learning how something works or the principles as to why and just take the "book answer" as how to fix the problem which is usually also wrong. Learning how and why something operates is the key to understanding how to correct it. I don't think its necessarily the service dept looking for cheap labor as much as it is the people being hired took shortcuts in their education. In IT, we call them, paper certified admins because in a production environment, they cant fix anything that doesn't occur like it did in the "book/test".

There's plenty of "brain dump" test answer sites on the internet and for almost every occupation, a dealer targeting these types on employees will only end up paying labor 2-3x's which ends up costing them money so I don't think that's it, there's just :poop: choices in the labor force.
I took my truck to the dealer for an alignment, they gave it back to me aligned but with the steering wheel 15° off center to the right (it was previously straight). They re-did it 3 times (4 hours) and the service advisor told me that I couldn't be pleased and that was they best they could do, I told him no, go get your shop foreman. The shop foreman came and said he'd take a look and didn't make it 100' and came back saying it wasn't right and that he'd put his best suspension guy on it.

Literally 5 min later the shop foreman brought the truck back driving perfectly and said he was going to have a talk with the other alignment guy, about that time the service writer walked up and the shop foremen said I want to speak with you about this job.
I doubt that shop was ok hiring a bad tech and tying the alignment rack up for 4 hours then having to place another tech on the job.
Foreman came back to talk to me before I left and said he wasn't paying the 1st tech for the job and was going to pay the 2nd that fixed it. Foreman was a car guy and we got to talking about cars and he expressed his frustration with the labor force
The part about the foreman lines up with my experience even with other brand makes. Doesn't always care about the other tech (probably depends if the foreman has the ability to hire\fire anyone) but always wanted to do the proper job and cared about it. I had a transfer case problem and was already at 2 other dealerships and the foreman told me to come back and make sure they let him know to work on it and the service write argued with me until the foreman came over and said "yes I told him to let me work on it only" and the service writer complained saying "but you have that corvette to work on so I wanted to give this to x or y employee"
Service advisors (writers) are the worst and seem to only exist to upsell you crap or prevent you from talking to the actual techs so you know if a job was done right or at all.

Fixed it for you.
"They don't want people to "think" and replace a part which requires replacing."
God forbid they get the job done the first time and can't charge you for a second diag.

Cars\trucks are getting even harder to work on now a days, simply put codes don't help like they used to because of how complex most cars are. Obscure technology problems can cause a car\truck to not start or throw wrong codes. They are just another tool which requires critical thinking to use.

VegasRob55

Reaction score
Hey yall, new here and frustrated.

just dropped my 2020 1500 limited 4x4 ecodiesel 46k miles that i have had for 3 weeks. After about 550 miles i get 4 notifications all at once.

Service Electronic Stability Control, ACC unavailable service required, service 4wd system, service trailer brake system.

So now i cant use Cruise, ACC, no forward collision warning, and cant switch to 4wd at all.

Here are the active codes.
ABS - U0403-00
DASM - U0403-00
ITBM - U0415-00
DASM - C2227-00

Stored codes
DTCM - U147B-92
PTC - U0403-00
Bad battery

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/