5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just added Mopar bed lights - not working

LoveMachine

Reaction score
First, let me say I’ve looked as hard as I can for an answer, but not luck.

I just added the Mopar bed lights to my 2019 Ram 1500 Dt. Followed the instructions to a T. I connected the security bypass. I then went in and enabled the following three commands in AlfaOBD:

CBC Config I/0
• Bed Light Switch Input Present - Pin
G16: -> Yes
• Connector F Pin 6: Baggage Compartment Lamps Output Present -> Yes

2014 CBC Config 1/0 & FEAT.
• Bed Lighting Present - Pin A5: -> Yes

After running each command and getting confirmation that it was complete I’d hit stop, go back to the main screen of AlfaOBD, disconnect, and then cycled off the engine for 2 minutes. I then went back to the bed - nothing when I open the tailgate, nothing when I hit unlock, nothing when I hit lock, and nothing when I hit the button on the bed light itself.

Where is the problem?? Please help!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have you checked the ground wire to make sure it is grounded properly? Unless there is an issue with the lights or harness being defective, you missed something for sure. I installed mine without issue.

LoveMachine

Reaction score
I know I installed the ground wire in the spot the directions indicated, not sure how it could have been done incorrectly but I’m open to suggestions.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you bench test the lights to make sure it's not them?

LoveMachine

Reaction score
Did you bench test the lights to make sure it's not them?
That seems like a good idea now but I did not. How much power would I need to do that, you think? Could I disconnect the pins from the ECM and try that?

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can just hook them right to your truck battery. I use a spare 12 volt battery from my kid's electric car.

mdschadler

Reaction score
I installed these in my 2020 and realized after they didn’t work that I wired them wrong. When I was replacing the pins in the harness connector, the diagram was showing the connector from the wire side and I inadvertently was looking at it from the plug side. Pretty embarrassing but was an easy fix. Might be something to check. Also, before I figured this out I read online that there were two sets of instructions out there and one was incorrectly identifying the pins… unfortunately this wasn’t my issue, mine was 100% installer error, lol

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed these in my 2020 and realized after they didn’t work that I wired them wrong. When I was replacing the pins in the harness connector, the diagram was showing the connector from the wire side and I inadvertently was looking at it from the plug side. Pretty embarrassing but was an easy fix. Might be something to check. Also, before I figured this out I read online that there were two sets of instructions out there and one was incorrectly identifying the pins… unfortunately this wasn’t my issue, mine was 100% installer error, lol
Good to know as I will be doing bed lights soon. Thanks!

LoveMachine

Reaction score
That might be it! I definitely plugged in the pins based on looking at it from the plug side. I saw that about the wrong instructions. I verified that I have the updated, correct version. Stand by…

LoveMachine

Reaction score
Holy crap that was it! Thank you so much!!! Of all the forum and Facebook group searches I did and suggestions from people, you are the only person on the internet that had the fix! What’s your Venmo, I want to send a little thank you!

Code2medic

Reaction score
Holy crap that was it! Thank you so much!!! Of all the forum and Facebook group searches I did and suggestions from people, you are the only person on the internet that had the fix! What’s your Venmo, I want to send a little thank you!
We all did that error lol

swing4terps

Reaction score
Good to know as I will be doing bed lights soon. Thanks!
If you haven't already ordered, there's a better option than the Mopar kit.

Users who are viewing this thread