5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jump seat lid USB question

kronus8564

Reaction score
I'm looking at a '19 1500 Bighorn with the center seat (wife wants to plan for the future), and while test driving, I couldn't get CarPlay/AA to come up through the USB port in the lid. The under-radio/HVAC USB ports ran the CarPlay/AA fine, but I wasn't sure if the seat lid port is only for charging. On the 2018, the lid port will also run CarPlay/AA for those who are curious.

1500DFW

Reaction score
Only charging under the console lid. One of the backseat USB ports will do CarPlay. Which is where I put my Carlinkit kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheecord

Reaction score
Yeah, Android Auto wouldn't work with my jump-seat USB port either. It's just for charging, apparently. I know the USB data lines are in the seat somewhere, though, because one of the rear USB ports at the back of the seat can communicate with the hub. I was thinking of opening up the seat to see if I can rewire. I would rather have the com port up front with me, and the charging ports in the back. I certainly don't need one of my kids to run CarPlay.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The USB ports that work are Labeled #1, #2, and #3 Data Sources. All others are Power Only.
So the two Type A & C under the Dash and one other on the rear Console.

Malodave

Wfrank005

Reaction score
Only charging under the console lid. One of the backseat USB ports will do CarPlay. Which is where I put my Carlinkit kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried plugging my wireless carplay adapter in the backseat USB ports and I couldn't get it to work. Only appears to work on my front USB ports for whatever reason.. I wonder why?

1500DFW

Reaction score
I tried plugging my wireless carplay adapter in the backseat USB ports and I couldn't get it to work. Only appears to work on my front USB ports for whatever reason.. I wonder why?

Mine used to work in the backseat until the latest Uconnect update. Now the back will play my phone as an iPod if I plug it there. But CarPlay will only work in the front seats. Dealership couldn’t figure it out. I’m guessing the update changed something for whatever reason so I just use the front seat now. Oh well what can you do.

Cheecord

Reaction score
After a few months of owning my truck last year, the kids kept complaining that the USB ports in the back did not work. Sure enough, they were dead. I took the truck in for warranty work, and the dealership said they found a manufacturer wiring issue under the jump seat - they fixed it, and now they work. It is the only issue I have had with the truck so far.

In any case, I'm thinking that if I open up the compartment under the seat, I might be able to rewire Malodave's "#3 Data Source" to the lid port and just leave the two in the back as charging ports. It sure would be nice to run Android Auto off a small wire coming out of the little built-in wire run on the lid.

Users who are viewing this thread