5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jolt with AutoStart

Quint

Reaction score
My 2021 eTorque has about 6k miles. I've started to notice that every once in a while, when taking my foot off of the brake when the autostart is engaged, that the truck surges forward / bucks while my foot is moving to the gas pedal. This is when the engine fires back up, it surges forward. It doesn't happen often but enough that I've noticed. I am trying to narrow down the parameters. My best theory is that it happens more often when the engine is not yet at normal operating temp.

Has anyone else experienced this? I tried searching the forums but probably didn't use the correct search words.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've seen posts from others about it. I've not noticed it on mine.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed it on either of my trucks with etorque. Does it only happen during the start/stop sequence, or have you noticed that happening at other times when the engine is cold? I found this thread after a quick search...

Quint

Reaction score
I had found that thread also.

Yes - it only happens during the start/stop sequence. I just drove mine and it was smooth each time. Other times though, after the engine cuts out at a stop light, the second I pull my foot off the brake and the engine fires the truck as a power surge forward.

vincentw56

Reaction score
What kind of surge? Is it like surging or jumping forward a foot or more? Or is it just a small jerk? It is starting in gear. Most automatics will start moving forward when you take your foot of the brake. I've noticed mine might start moving forward as soon as it starts back up. But, it's smooth and not jerky.

Quint

Reaction score
Moving forward is not a jolt. This would be more like doing a neutral drop when you've set the idle too high, although I haven't noticed it idling high.

I have more to research, I'm just looking to see if others are experiencing it.

jai91

Reaction score
My 2021 eTorque has about 6k miles. I've started to notice that every once in a while, when taking my foot off of the brake when the autostart is engaged, that the truck surges forward / bucks while my foot is moving to the gas pedal. This is when the engine fires back up, it surges forward. It doesn't happen often but enough that I've noticed. I am trying to narrow down the parameters. My best theory is that it happens more often when the engine is not yet at normal operating temp.

Has anyone else experienced this? I tried searching the forums but probably didn't use the correct search words.
Yes my truck does this too. About same amount of miles. It is only noticeable while the engine is still warming up then. I have 2 stop lights within 400m of my driveway so I will experience it there and then it’s normally warm by the next set of lights and the problem disappears.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Sounds like it might be a cold transmission then. The transmission fluid is thicker when cold. That's why you can experience harder shifts in some cars before it is warmed up.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t have my ram yet but I questioned this function in my Silverado and supposedly the auto stop start function should only work when the running temps are perfect for as to not wear out the starter. Never had an issue with a surge. I recommend just shutting this function off because I don’t see saving that much fuel at a red light

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don’t have my ram yet but I questioned this function in my Silverado and supposedly the auto stop start function should only work when the running temps are perfect for as to not wear out the starter. Never had an issue with a surge. I recommend just shutting this function off because I don’t see saving that much fuel at a red light
The eTorque system uses the motor/generator to restart the engine during start/stop operation, not the normal starter. It uses the starter when starting with the push button or fob. So there will be no more wear on the starter than you would have with a non eTorque engine.

The amount of fuel savings is directly related to how much and how long you stop. Whether it's traffic lights or stop signs. Obviously, if you encounter a lot of long red lights you will see some savings with stop/start.

Users who are viewing this thread