5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JL Audio Rolling Out a Stealthbox for 5th Gen Ram 1500s!

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered the one for the reclining seats. I have an MTI with dual 10's that came out of my previous RAM that I traded. While it was nice, it was too big and stuck out farther into the floor than what I thought it would when I ordered it. I could not access the storage bins in the floor. With this Stealthbox, the storage bins are not blocked, and it comes to the edge of the rear mats, so it does not interfere with those either. I suspect it will sound every bit as good as the MTI. I also ordered the VX1000 amp, which has TUN for processing... looking forward to getting it all in and installed. I believe the subwoofer is the weak link in the HK system. While the rest of the system may not be audiophile quality, it's respectable and the upgraded sub will no doubt enhance the system.

EDIT: This is not to suggest the HK sub is bad, but simply that in my opinion it is the weakest link in the speaker system that can be easily replaced and amplified separately. When the HK sub is tuned and/or treated properly, it sounds respectable, but not what I really want in the lowest octaves of output.

Last edited:

Greenchevette

Reaction score
What amp are you guys recommending for the JL Stealthbox running dual 10TW3-D8?

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to have DSP control over the response, I would look at their VX series. I got the VX-1000 for my Stealthbox. The new control knob is pretty neat as well... much more functional than the traditional bass control knob.

dengland

Reaction score
Sonnie - not intentionally stocking you...I promise.

Seems like the bottom end of the 2020 is not as muddy / boomy as the 2014 was. The 2014 bottom end was a good 15dB too hot.

This was the EQ +9 to -9 in the HU with the 8.4"

I took some measurements of the factory Harmon Kardon 2020 12" HU back in December. If I overlay it with the 2014 Flat EQ. It looks like they knocked it down about 6dB relative to the 500Hz and above. I think I am running the factory bass in the 2020 at like -7 on the HU EQ.

An a sub amp with a DSP sounds like the right answer. I had a crazy amount of hours in the 2014 between the wiring, measuring. tuning and it always felt like I could do better. The 2020 is so close to almost livable without screwing with it. That amp gives me hope that I can do some minimal work and have a good result.

I will be interested to see what folks do/have done with the noise reduction.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sonnie - not intentionally stocking you...I promise.

Seems like the bottom end of the 2020 is not as muddy / boomy as the 2014 was. The 2014 bottom end was a good 15dB too hot.

This was the EQ +9 to -9 in the HU with the 8.4"

I took some measurements of the factory Harmon Kardon 2020 12" HU back in December. If I overlay it with the 2014 Flat EQ. It looks like they knocked it down about 6dB relative to the 500Hz and above. I think I am running the factory bass in the 2020 at like -7 on the HU EQ.

An a sub amp with a DSP sounds like the right answer. I had a crazy amount of hours in the 2014 between the wiring, measuring. tuning and it always felt like I could do better. The 2020 is so close to almost livable without screwing with it. That amp gives me hope that I can do some minimal work and have a good result.

I will be interested to see what folks do/have done with the noise reduction.
lol... At least you took time to measure it. I was gonna do it... but just been too lazy to get my laptop out. I would suggested it sounded more like it was in the upper bass range.

Someone installing a stealthbox should do a write up on it
I will definitely be sharing my Stealthbox install in a couple of forums.

Greenchevette

Reaction score
Anyone have feedback on physical space for the amp? I dove into to a fully active setup in prior vehicles and loved it, but might just go 'set it and forget it' with the RAM. The VX Series JL is amazing, but found a brand new JL 1000/1 v2 for less than half a VX. Issue is the v2 is 20x10x3 vs the VX 11x6x2. Think the v2 will still fit behind the rear seat??

E.Hands

Reaction score
Anyone have feedback on physical space for the amp? I dove into to a fully active setup in prior vehicles and loved it, but might just go 'set it and forget it' with the RAM. The VX Series JL is amazing, but found a brand new JL 1000/1 v2 for less than half a VX. Issue is the v2 is 20x10x3 vs the VX 11x6x2. Think the v2 will still fit behind the rear seat??

I have a RD1500/1
Monoblock Class D Subwoofer Amplifier, 1500 Watt mounted behind the seat where the factory sub was.

Attachments

• 20191216_151912.jpg
    20191216_151912.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 234
  • 20191216_151858.jpg
    20191216_151858.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 238

JayBuchanan

Reaction score
Does anyone have any feedback on the 10” or 12” models of the StealthBox?

Jay Buchanan
21 RAM 1500 Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tredowgggg

Reaction score
Does anyone have any feedback on the 10” or 12” models of the StealthBox?

Jay Buchanan
21 RAM 1500 Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just had the 12s stealthbox installed today with a JL 1000.1 amp. It was pricy but the box fits like a glove and the subs are great.

Users who are viewing this thread