5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jerky operation in 4x4 high range

marcia.go

Reaction score
My 2019 3500 Longhorn has very aggressive wheel slippage when in High Range. On all but the slickest of ice surfaces the truck jerks around when cornering in 4 high range. Just about suffer whiplash as the truck jerks around cornering in parking lots or at intersections. Loose snow, packed snow, snow and ice combos..........same thing. This is a long box with dual rear wheel. Is this a common characteristic of this combination. Have only ever experienced this type on other 4x4's that where left in 4 wheel drive on dryer surfaces.

TimG

Reaction score
If you are turning your wheel to full lock while in 4wd (which is never really ideal unless 100% required), yes, wheel hop is normal. I would recommend taking an off-road driving course to freshen up your 4wd abilities. Cheers!

79 300

Reaction score
When I had my 2500 I had to take corners extra wide, even in slush and snow or it would bind and hop like you are describing. I would even pop it back in 2WD momentarily if pulling into a tight driveway or side street. Welcome to the world of solid front axles. Totally normal.

marcia.go

Reaction score
If you are turning your wheel to full lock while in 4wd (which is never really ideal unless 100% required), yes, wheel hop is normal. I would recommend taking an off-road driving course to freshen up your 4wd abilities. Cheers!
Thanks.

marcia.go

Reaction score
When I had my 2500 I had to take corners extra wide, even in slush and snow or it would bind and hop like you are describing. I would even pop it back in 2WD momentarily if pulling into a tight driveway or side street. Welcome to the world of solid front axles. Totally normal.
I suppose the longer wheel base doesn't help either.

Users who are viewing this thread