5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggiehorn's Build Thread

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sad to hear this. Ridiculous how they waited after two requests for a loaner to approve. Begs me to wonder, my truck is “scheduled” to be finished tomorrow, yet, when my service advisor updated me today, she offered a loaner. I’m good, cuz I got another vehicle, but offer a rental for a day or so…good customer service, or a set up? Jus saying…
Kudos on you for your patience. If not for my 2nd car, I’d be all snapped, but that’s just me. 😜 good luck brother.
Appreciate it. Yeah they told me they were out of personal loaners and their vendor, was also out of vehicles. So I wouldn’t say they flat out denied me the first two times, but I do think they could have done a little more to source a vehicle sooner given the delay on my truck. My wife has been on maternity leave so I’ve been using her car the last few weeks and didn’t really need a loaner either, but I’d much rather put mileage on a rental than my wife’s car. I picked up the loaner today and while I was down there my service advisor told me they were able to source the part I was waiting on from somewhere in New Jersey, and they had it overnighted to my dealer. They confirmed it arrived this afternoon. The service advisor told me that although the original part they found was marked as shipped by the sender, it was never physically shipped because they didn’t have it either. So not entirely my dealer’s fault there, but it still baffles me that it took them nearly three weeks to figure that out. Not sure how that even happens to begin with. All that said, I’m hopeful to have my truck back in the next couple of days if everything goes as planned but after all of this, I’ve definitely learned not to get my hopes up lol.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
9/16/2022 - Back in Business!

Got a call from the dealer today and the truck was ready to go. I picked it up this afternoon and everything appears to be back in working order. Only downside is during their troubleshooting, the service department reset everything (and I mean everything lol) on my truck back to factory. All of my presets, saved settings, and AlfaOBD changes were wiped. A little bit of a bummer, but not really that big of a deal. I have a spreadsheet saved that has every vehicle configuration change I’ve made so it should only take a few minutes to get everything re-enabled and sorted out. I’m just glad to finally have the truck back.

Let’s jump back into the upgrades. I bought OEM night edition LED headlights nearly 2 months ago from a guy on FB Marketplace, and although I installed these quite awhile ago, I was waiting to get my truck back so that I could get a decent photo of them. The VLANDs were great, and I had no complaints out of them at all for the year that I ran them, but I was ready for a change. I will definitely miss those VLAND DRLs, but I’ve always wanted the OEM LEDs, and to snag a set for $750 with the retroshop adapter harnesses included was a price I didn’t want to pass on.

Out with the old VLANDs
54699162-7580-438E-9782-2F0A4F869F84.jpeg

In with the new OEMs
B4D5F585-1410-4D58-9BAE-04B10E9E6595.jpeg

Nm379

Reaction score
7/14/2022 - One Small Step For Man

Bed Step Install
Price - $119.00

I’ve looked at both the OEM and knock off version of the Ram bed steps for quite some time. It was always something I kind of wanted, but also something I didn’t want to spend the money on. I also questioned how well they actually worked and if it would be worth purchasing or not. I finally decided against the OEM step just due to the price tag and decided to give the replica step a chance based on the recommendation of several other Ram owners I chatted with. In my short experience with this so far, I agree 100% with their recommendation. I can’t say for certain, but from what I can tell, it appears to be the exact same step as OEM minus the stamped part number. Looks identical to me, but I could be missing something as I’ve never really looked the OEM step over that closely. Either way, this seems really well made and functions just as you’d expect it to. And wow, talk about a huge difference stepping in and out of the bed now! Something that was a slight struggle before immediately became effortless after installing this. Guess that answered my question on practicality lol.
View attachment 134543
View attachment 134544
View attachment 134545

Adding this last photo just because I like how it came out. I was eyeing this spot on Google Maps for a few weeks and finally decided to go check it out. It’s like a small grass peninsula that you can drive out on overlooking one of our nearby lakes. Definitely planning to head back out there one evening to grab some more photos right as the sun sets.
View attachment 134546
Hey, do you mind sharing the step you bought? Link or name or anything?

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey, do you mind sharing the step you bought? Link or name or anything?
This is the same link I bought mine from, but they have increased the price after I purchased mine. These steps are rebranded under dozens of different names on eBay and Amazon, but I believe they’re all the same. I’ve heard of people finding them as low as $99 so I’d definitely encourage shopping around before buying from this seller.

Av1

Reaction score
This is the same link I bought mine from, but they have increased the price after I purchased mine. These steps are rebranded under dozens of different names on eBay and Amazon, but I believe they’re all the same. I’ve heard of people finding them as low as $99 so I’d definitely encourage shopping around before buying from this seller.
Do you know if those are powder coated or are they painted?

Thanks

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
9/30/2022

Figured I'd drop a quick update. Had a few ask how the truck has been since getting it back from the dealer and I'm happy to say that it is running great. I reenabled all of the settings that I lost after their reset, and everything is back in working order like it was before all of this took place.

I threw in a couple of small accessories that I grabbed off of Amazon. I grabbed the felt lined center console organizer, and the door handle drop in trays. Think I paid like $15-$20 for each of these, and I honestly wasn't expecting much out of them. The center console organizer is actually a really nice product in my opinion. I was expecting a cheap, flimsy piece of plastic but I was quite surprised at the quality of this for the price. I'm not sure how well small loose items such as pocket change would make out in this, but I can tell you that everything I have in my center console fit snugly and did not shift around while driving or when opening/closing the main console. Everything stayed put in place. The console organizer drops right in over the existing rubber liner and the fitment is excellent.

B072F40E-9AD4-46F5-84E0-171BE46A692B.jpeg
9BFEE502-F090-4C1B-BED0-F8A3DF2BDEF6.jpeg
The door trays are an okay fit, but I'm still not sure about them. I may end up tossing these eventually but want to give them a fair chance at least. I like being able to drop my wallet in it while driving, but I am getting some minor rattling and vibration from them. They do come with foam padding to help with the fitment and also absorb some of that vibration so I may need to adjust the placement of the foam, but at this point I wouldn't recommend buying these.
FD0F0784-0760-4B25-A1AB-9702F066FD61.jpeg
05F9E45A-B568-4DA8-9D95-36F60470BF4B.jpeg

I decided to play it safe and drop off my truck at my job's warehouse in preparation for Hurricane Ian, and I'm honestly glad I did. I think I may have been able to squeeze the truck in my garage if I absolutely had to, but this was so much more convenient. That freed up extra space to store patio furniture and other items in the garage too. I consider myself to be very fortunate. My house made it out of the storm pretty much without a scratch. Just a few down tree limbs and a broken gutter. Areas of central FL right around me are completely wrecked though. We have flooding that I don't think this area of the state has ever seen before. Several areas claiming water depths up to 5 feet or more which is just insane. Due to flooding and road closures, I haven't been able to get down to my job to pick it up yet but hoping to get over there this evening or tomorrow morning if possible. I always have to grab photos whenever I park in there. She sure does look good under that lighting!
59DC173E-7CBC-4F87-A945-4910B2A3D88E.jpeg

Last edited:

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
10/5/2022

I clearly spoke too soon regarding the truck after getting it back from the dealer. It ran great for about 300 miles, but I got nailed with all sorts of various issues today while driving to work. About 20 miles into my drive, the instrument cluster popped up with a message saying “115v power outlet on.” This message was causing the screen to flicker uncontrollably. My 12” radio display started turning off and on repeatedly before finally going out entirely. The screen and buttons being completely unresponsive. My A/C shutoff and heat started flowing through all of the vents shortly after. Due to the cab becoming hot, I tried rolling down my windows only to find that the window switch stopped working as well, so the windows would no longer go up or down. After getting to work, I realized my parking sensors, and interior lighting were only working intermittently, and various sensors weren’t reading properly on the instrument cluster such as the direction of travel among a few others. I immediately recorded several videos of everything the truck was doing and I called the dealer right after. So back to the dealership I go tomorrow morning to see what they have to say this time. I know one thing, driving my truck home this afternoon without a/c, heat flowing through the vents, and windows that won’t go down creates a pretty miserable driving experience.
B775D922-F386-46E5-8662-4C2AD35C418C.jpeg
A123C61D-2DA2-41BC-B769-E4074ABB4B87.jpeg

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
10/5/2022

I clearly spoke too soon regarding the truck after getting it back from the dealer. It ran great for about 300 miles, but I got nailed with all sorts of various issues today while driving to work. About 20 miles into my drive, the instrument cluster popped up with a message saying “115v power outlet on.” This message was causing the screen to flicker uncontrollably. My 12” radio display started turning off and on repeatedly before finally going out entirely. The screen and buttons being completely unresponsive. My A/C shutoff and heat started flowing through all of the vents shortly after. Due to the cab becoming hot, I tried rolling down my windows only to find that the window switch stopped working as well, so the windows would no longer go up or down. After getting to work, I realized my parking sensors, and interior lighting were only working intermittently, and various sensors weren’t reading properly on the instrument cluster such as the direction of travel among a few others. I immediately recorded several videos of everything the truck was doing and I called the dealer right after. So back to the dealership I go tomorrow morning to see what they have to say this time. I know one thing, driving my truck home this afternoon without a/c, heat flowing through the vents, and windows that won’t go down creates a pretty miserable driving experience.
View attachment 140426
View attachment 140427
Damn that really sucks, especially since you’ve got low miles. I hope it gets figured out quick!

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yikes…that sucks. I feel you. Had my manifold replaced, truck running great, now my transfer case needs replacing. Not a good feeling running a sick truck.
Hope it’s as simple as a dying battery. Your symptoms kinda say dead battery, but with these trucks you just never know.
Good luck, brother👊🏽

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damn that really sucks, especially since you’ve got low miles. I hope it gets figured out quick!
It really is insane. What’s strange is that these issues are all completely different from what I just went through (minus the parking sensors) so who knows what’s going on. Can’t help but feel like I jinxed myself by saying it was running great on my previous post lol. I also found this afternoon that everything works okay while the truck is turned to accessory. Radio controls, 12” screen, windows, etc. but as soon as I start the engine chaos unfolds.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yikes…that sucks. I feel you. Had my manifold replaced, truck running great, now my transfer case needs replacing. Not a good feeling running a sick truck.
Hope it’s as simple as a dying battery. Your symptoms kinda say dead battery, but with these trucks you just never know.
Good luck, brother👊🏽
I’ve read that and that’s what I’m hoping too. I read these trucks do crazy things when the battery starts to go so I’m really hoping that’s all it is. Normally I’d try to look into it on my own, but at this point I’m just going to let the dealer have at it. Especially since I literally just got it back from the dealer. Good luck on yours as well! Hopefully you get yours taken care of soon too.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve read that and that’s what I’m hoping too. I read these trucks do crazy things when the battery starts to go so I’m really hoping that’s all it is. Normally I’d try to look into it on my own, but at this point I’m just going to let the dealer have at it. Especially since I literally just got it back from the dealer. Good luck on yours as well! Hopefully you get yours taken care of soon too.
Thanks, man. 10 days service said for part to arrive. As long as it’s not “the” part that everyone is waiting for, it should be alright. Luckily I do have other form of transportation, so am good with letting it sit until fixed.
I remember my dad’s older Buick Park Avenue, forgot what year it was. But when that battery went dead, you ended up locked in the car, wipers on, lights blinking, OMG I felt like i was in a carnival ride from hell…!
Now that was a miserable experience.

Hoping the best outcome for ya…good luck bro.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I was gonna ask too are you still on the factory battery? Seems hit or miss with those I’m still going strong at 47,000 while some people have issues under 10,000 with the factory batteries, hopefully it’s something like that.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s factory. And speaking of batteries, it may have been the issue. When I got home I decided to check it out after I told myself I wasn’t going to lol. The connections on the battery seemed kind of loose. It’s possible that they didn’t tighten it down well enough during their last repair and maybe it just vibrated loose over the last 300 miles. Anyway, I disconnected the battery and let it sit for a few hours tonight. I just hooked it back up and started the truck and everything is working fine now. I let it run for about 10 minutes and drove it around the neighborhood for a bit after. I’ll continue to monitor it closely and see if any of the problems mentioned above return, but I’m hoping🤞that it was something that simple. I’ll definitely post an update if things change after putting some real miles on it.

Last edited:

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ended up taking it to the dealer this morning because the issues mentioned above returned after a 10 mile drive. I just got a call back from them and they confirmed it was the battery. They put it through several load tests and supposedly it failed all of them. They replaced with a new battery, cleared the stored diagnostic trouble codes, took it for a test drive, and supposedly everything is back in working order.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good to hear it was something simple like the battery but also disturbing to hear yet another fairly new battery failure to add to the ever growing list.

Did they make you pay for the battery? At this point the should issue some type of TSB on this. Obviously it’s an issue and they should address it to make it right. It’s ridiculous people are becoming stranded over these failures with a 2-3 year old vehicle. Absolutely not acceptable.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good to hear it was something simple like the battery but also disturbing to hear yet another fairly new battery failure to add to the ever growing list.

Did they make you pay for the battery? At this point the should issue some type of TSB on this. Obviously it’s an issue and they should address it to make it right. It’s ridiculous people are becoming stranded over these failures with a 2-3 year old vehicle. Absolutely not acceptable.
Right up there with the cracking manifold issue that has existed over what, the last 3-4 model years. My factory battery has actually outlasted my manifold, lol. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread