5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggiehorn's Build Thread

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One of the main draws of the Limited for me was that the power steps were standard. Really nice work (as usual)!

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's awesome I just installed mine last week, and I love them!
Thanks! Really impressed with mine as well. Game changer!
One of the main draws of the Limited for me was that the power steps were standard. Really nice work (as usual)!
Appreciate it! I probably should have bought myself a Limited at this point 😂. I’m having a blast with this truck though. I've never been one to seek attention, but it really has been pretty cool to see all of the support and recognition this truck gets both online and while I'm out and about. After a couple of expensive back-to-back weekends with the addition of the steps and tonneau cover, I think it is safe to say that I'll be taking a break for a little while. My wallet needs some time to recharge lol.

33C1AC1F-A75C-453D-8CFB-4314DC047118.jpeg

DegenRam

Reaction score
5/30/2022 - Stepping My Game Up!
Amp Research PowerSteps - $824.50

Have you ever came across a deal so good that you could not look away from it? Well... That happened... To me.... Again.... I've wanted these steps since day one but have held off due to their price. I was hopeful that I would eventually come across a decent used set and that is ultimately what I was holding out for. I never expected to snag a brand new set of these at the price I just did. A coupon code was floating around in a few of the Ram groups online claiming it was good for 50% off certain products (Amp Steps being one of them). Seemed far too good of an offer to be true, but I submitted it and to my surprise it actually came up as a valid promo code. It didn't take much convincing at that point to add my credit card info and click the checkout button lol. They were dropped off at my front door a few days later. I wasn't looking forward to the install, but it honestly was a breeze. It all went very smoothly. I chose to solder all of my connections on the LED step lights rather than use the included wire connectors with the kit. It created a cleaner install in my opinion. A local guy with with an awesome Ram Rebel is meeting up with me this weekend to buy the original side steps I had on the truck. That will recoup a few more bucks on top of the discount savings. I'm pretty stoked to say the least! I really liked the look and styling of the fixed steps that I had on the truck before, but these are next level. The truck looks great with these installed and I love that it adds a taller appearance with the additional ground clearance.

View attachment 131152
View attachment 131184
View attachment 131153
View attachment 131154
View attachment 131155
View attachment 131160
66905073-d76c-4caf-ad4e-20dce2a42058-jpeg.131158
View attachment 131161
View attachment 131159
Steps look great! Was curious how these compare to the factory power running board? I special ordered my ram, and with held from the power boards. realizing now they are an essential add on when you plan on lifting your truck. Any chance the coupon for the amp steps is still valid? Thanks!

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Steps look great! Was curious how these compare to the factory power running board? I special ordered my ram, and with held from the power boards. realizing now they are an essential add on when you plan on lifting your truck. Any chance the coupon for the amp steps is still valid? Thanks!
Unfortunately I cannot give you a real comparison between the two. I don't have any experience with the factory boards. From what little reading I have done between them, it sounds like they are pretty similar overall from a build quality standpoint. The factory boards have Uconnect integration which is nice to have, but again I'm not sure how much value that actually adds. Someone else may be able to provide additional insight on how they compare against each other.

As far as the Amp steps go, they were the only aftermarket power running boards that I considered. There are a few different options out there, but Amp has a very solid backing and reputation behind their name which is why I decided to go with them. Unfortunately that discount code came and went extremely quickly. I almost tend to believe that it was some sort of error because 50% off of a product like that is just unheard of.

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Besides what JBowman mentioned, the other difference between the two is how low they deploy. The AMP boards are ~7" off the ground when deployed and the Mopar boards are ~11". I knew I wanted the power running boards and ordering my truck with them saved me about $500 and the hassle of installing them myself. This is the cheapest price I've seen for the Mopar boards. Mopar 82215287AG RAM 1500 DT Power Running Board Crew Cab Only 2019-2022 Genuine Mopar 82215287AG | Auto Parts

Lurts

Reaction score
Truck looks fantastic as you well know!

One question about the Bak Revolver: I know it’s aluminum and vinyl but can’t quite tell if it’s a fabric top. Does it flap in the wind when driving at highway speeds like the soft tonneau covers do?

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck looks fantastic as you well know!

One question about the Bak Revolver: I know it’s aluminum and vinyl but can’t quite tell if it’s a fabric top. Does it flap in the wind when driving at highway speeds like the soft tonneau covers do?
Thanks! Appreciate it!
It hardly moves (if at all) when cruising around at city driving speeds in my experience. I've noticed that you can sometimes see some very slight movement when up at highway speeds, but I would in no way say that its anywhere comparable to what you get with a soft tonneau cover going down the road. I would be hesitant to even use the word flapping honestly because my mind immediately thinks of a soft cover flapping in the wind lol. The top on the Revolver does have minimal flexing movement, but the flush design and aluminum slats keep the cover in place very well overall.

Last edited:

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
7/14/2022 - One Small Step For Man

Bed Step Install

I’ve looked at both the OEM and knock off version of the Ram bed steps for quite some time. It was always something I kind of wanted, but also something I didn’t want to spend the money on. I also questioned how well they actually worked and if it would be worth purchasing or not. I finally decided against the OEM step just due to the price tag and decided to give the replica step a chance based on the recommendation of several other Ram owners I chatted with. In my short experience with this so far, I agree 100% with their recommendation. I can’t say for certain, but from what I can tell, it appears to be the exact same step as OEM minus the stamped part number. Looks identical to me, but I could be missing something as I’ve never really looked the OEM step over that closely. Either way, this seems really well made and functions just as you’d expect it to. And wow, talk about a huge difference stepping in and out of the bed now! Something that was a slight struggle before immediately became effortless after installing this. Guess that answered my question on practicality lol.
6CB9634F-0F1B-48FD-AEDD-5B74F81253CC.jpeg
B0347594-466A-489C-8AD4-5E0075724759.jpeg
48C46BEA-B843-4669-AE9F-C799D7C6CF75.jpeg

Adding this last photo just because I like how it came out. I was eyeing this spot on Google Maps for a few weeks and finally decided to go check it out. It’s like a small grass peninsula that you can drive out on overlooking one of our nearby lakes. Definitely planning to head back out there one evening to grab some more photos right as the sun sets.
89762333-8696-4E74-8BC6-F304F9071B35.jpeg

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
7/14/2022 - One Small Step For Man

Bed Step Install
Price - $119.00

I’ve looked at both the OEM and knock off version of the Ram bed steps for quite some time. It was always something I kind of wanted, but also something I didn’t want to spend the money on. I also questioned how well they actually worked and if it would be worth purchasing or not. I finally decided against the OEM step just due to the price tag and decided to give the replica step a chance based on the recommendation of several other Ram owners I chatted with. In my short experience with this so far, I agree 100% with their recommendation. I can’t say for certain, but from what I can tell, it appears to be the exact same step as OEM minus the stamped part number. Looks identical to me, but I could be missing something as I’ve never really looked the OEM step over that closely. Either way, this seems really well made and functions just as you’d expect it to. And wow, talk about a huge difference stepping in and out of the bed now! Something that was a slight struggle before immediately became effortless after installing this. Guess that answered my question on practicality lol.
View attachment 134543
View attachment 134544
View attachment 134545

Adding this last photo just because I like how it came out. I was eyeing this spot on Google Maps for a few weeks and finally decided to go check it out. It’s like a small grass peninsula that you can drive out on overlooking one of our nearby lakes. Definitely planning to head back out there one evening to grab some more photos right as the sun sets.
View attachment 134546

The bed step is definitely a worthwhile upgrade. I use mine a lot. The Chinese steps are made out of Harbor Freight grade steel and the OEM step is aluminum. Most likely it won't be an issue for you in Florida, but I wouldn't want one where I live.

How do you like your Swisstrax flooring?

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The bed step was a must. And the OEM fit and finish was a no brainer. My knees thank me every time I use it.

Nice add, and as usual, well done, sir!

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The bed step is definitely a worthwhile upgrade. I use mine a lot. The Chinese steps are made out of Harbor Freight grade steel and the OEM step is aluminum. Most likely it won't be an issue for you in Florida, but I wouldn't want one where I live.

How do you like your Swiss Trax flooring?
Ahh that makes sense. I figured there had to be a difference somewhere but I didn’t think about that. Yeah, I should be fine where I’m at but definitely a good point to note for anyone else that may be considering one.

The Swisstrax is great for the most part. I’ve had it for 3 years and have actually packed it up once and relocated it when we moved to our current house. It’s nice that it can easily be taken apart and reinstalled with its modular design. It’s extremely durable and has held up really well. I’m a big fan of that showroom look it adds to a space, but it can be a serious PITA if you actually work on vehicles in your garage. Most nuts and bolts won’t fall beneath the tiles if dropped, but I have occasionally dropped washers or small screws and it goes under the tile. Spending 20-30 minutes popping up tiles looking for what you dropped is never fun lol. It can also be a pain if you have a spill you have to clean up. I love the look and wow factor, but definitely not ideal if you work in your garage regularly.

Last edited:

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The bed step was a must. And the OEM fit and finish was a no brainer. My knees thank me every time I use it.

Nice add, and as usual, well done, sir!
Haha yeah, I did a couple test runs climbing in and out of the bed this afternoon and immediately wished I installed one sooner lol.

Thanks! Appreciate it!

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Ahh that makes sense. I figured there had to be a difference somewhere but I didn’t think about that. Yeah, I should be fine where I’m at but definitely a good point to note for anyone else that may be considering one.

The Swisstrax is great for the most part. I’ve had it for 3 years and have actually packed it up once and relocated it when we moved to our current house. It’s nice that it can easily be taken apart and reinstalled with its modular design. It’s extremely durable and has held up really well. I’m a big fan of that showroom look it adds to a space, but it can be a serious PITA if you actually work on vehicles in your garage. Most nuts and bolts won’t fall beneath the tiles if dropped, but I have occasionally dropped washers or small screws and it goes under the tile. Spending 20-30 minutes popping up tiles looking for what you dropped is never fun lol. It can also be a pain if you have a spill you have to clean up. I love the look and wow factor, but definitely not ideal if you work in your garage regularly.

Thanks. I'm thinking about using Swisstrax to cover the ugly concrete in the GarageTown unit I just bought.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm thinking about using Swisstrax to cover the ugly concrete in the GarageTown unit I just bought.
It’s definitely good for covering ugly concrete! The garage floor in my previous house had numerous oil stains and paint spills on the concrete that wouldn’t come up. You’d never know the difference with the Swisstrax down. D0442D87-B159-430F-BB4A-00D85A499B47.jpeg

Midnight2020

Reaction score
5/31/2021 - Ceramic Window Tint
Price: $350.00

Living in FL, window tint is always top priority for me! I knew I wanted to go the ceramic route, and I was really leaning towards XPEL films. Unfortunately, I couldn't wrap my head around the quotes and wait times local shops were giving me. The cheapest quote I could find with a quick turnaround time was going to cost me over $700. After doing some additional research, I decided to go the Llumar ceramic route and I honestly do not have any regrets so far. I found a small family owned business with a perfect 5 star review rating so I decided to give them a shot and they did not disappoint. I went with 15% film on the sides/rear glass and then 80% film on the windshield. This is my first time using ceramic film and the performance of the product is worth the added cost.

View attachment 100761

I live in Florida too. Getting mine tinted tomorrow. I have talked to a couple places and one of the places said not to tint the front windshield because of issues getting the computer wet? I had no clue what this meant. Any body heard of this or had this issue??

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in Florida too. Getting mine tinted tomorrow. I have talked to a couple places and one of the places said not to tint the front windshield because of issues getting the computer wet? I had no clue what this meant. Any body heard of this or had this issue??
Yeah, excess water runoff can go down behind the dash and do some not so nice things to your electronics. Just make sure you use a reputable shop and you should be okay. I’d also make sure you just mention it to them as a reminder when you drop it off. I mentioned it to the guy I used, and he said he was well aware of the potential issues and that he would use caution when working around the windshield. I haven’t had any problems with mine.

Midnight2020

Reaction score
Yeah, excess water runoff can go down behind the dash and do some not so nice things to your electronics. Just make sure you use a reputable shop and you should be okay. I’d also make sure you just mention it to them as a reminder when you drop it off. I mentioned it to the guy I used, and he said he was well aware of the potential issues and that he would use caution when working around the windshield. I haven’t had any problems with mine.

Makes me nervous. Place I am taking it too has been tinting for a long time here, so hopefully they know. I am going to talk to them about it tomorrow and if I don't feel comfortable with what they got to say I am just going to skip it I guess. Better safe than sorry.

Ilya23

Reaction score
Did mine today in Sarasota,fl with xpel xr plus. Wow! What a difference. I feel mike 60-70% less heat comes now to the cabin. Price was decent as well $250

Reaction score
So I just crossed over 1 year of ownership back on 5/22/22. Feels like I've had this truck forever and at the same time it seems like I just signed the paperwork yesterday. One year, approximately 10,500 miles later and I have no regrets. I'm just as happy with this purchase as I was back on day one, if not even happier now because I've made it my own. Speaking of making it my own, I decided to recap with a list of pretty much everything I have done to it over the previous 12 months.
  • Spray In Bed Liner
  • Ceramic Window Tint
  • TAC Straight Bar Side Steps
  • Bumper Plugs
  • 3W All Weather Floormats
  • Enixwill Tow Hooks
  • Autmatch Shackle Hitch
  • 3.5" ReadyLIFT SST Kit
  • 20x10 -18 Fuel Rebel Wheels
  • 35x12.5x20 Kenda Klever Tires
  • VLAND LED Reflector HeadLights
  • Rough Country Black Series Light Bar
  • Lasfit Interior LED Lights
  • Lasfit LED Fog Lights
  • Infinity Reference Dash Speakers
  • Built To Serve Edition Seat Covers
  • Rexing V1-4K Dash Camera
  • B2 Fab Round Muffler & Res Delete
  • Bulletpoint Phone Mount
  • Recon LED 3rd Brake Light
  • OEM Night Edition LED Taillights
  • Added Rain Sensing Wipers
  • Added Passive Entry
  • Added Blind Spot Monitoring
  • Blacked Out Sport Decals
And here are a couple of before/after pictures just for the hell of it.

View attachment 130332
View attachment 130335
View attachment 130334

Looking forward, I've got several items still on my wish list that I would like to add to the truck. I'm not sure if a build is ever really finished, but these are the things that I have my eyes on the most.
  • BAK Revolver X4S Bed Cover ( I have already ordered and it just arrived today. A separate post will be added for that)
  • Power Folding Tow Mirrors W/ BSM (Still backordered and I cannot seem to source anywhere right now)
  • Amp Research Power Steps
  • OEM/similar bed step
  • OEM Bed Lights
  • Rock Lights? (I'm still on the fence with these. I'm considering just buying true white lights to help accent the truck. I don't have much desire for RGBW but that could change lol)
  • 33 Gallon Fuel Tank (I've wanted to add this for awhile, seems pretty straightforward and it isn’t very expensive to add since I have the 26 gallon currently. Low priority, but would be cool to have)
  • Wheels? (Love the Fuel Rebels, but man they are just too common. Everyone runs them. Also a very low priority, but I would like to eventually sell the Fuel Rebels and throw on a different set of wheels to change things up a bit)
I’ll leave this post with a recent photo I dropped on my Instagram. I didn’t think it was anything special, but it has managed to rack up almost 4k likes in just a few days so I’m assuming that the people must love it lol.

View attachment 130336

So I just crossed over 1 year of ownership back on 5/22/22. Feels like I've had this truck forever and at the same time it seems like I just signed the paperwork yesterday. One year, approximately 10,500 miles later and I have no regrets. I'm just as happy with this purchase as I was back on day one, if not even happier now because I've made it my own. Speaking of making it my own, I decided to recap with a list of pretty much everything I have done to it over the previous 12 months.
  • Spray In Bed Liner
  • Ceramic Window Tint
  • TAC Straight Bar Side Steps
  • Bumper Plugs
  • 3W All Weather Floormats
  • Enixwill Tow Hooks
  • Autmatch Shackle Hitch
  • 3.5" ReadyLIFT SST Kit
  • 20x10 -18 Fuel Rebel Wheels
  • 35x12.5x20 Kenda Klever Tires
  • VLAND LED Reflector HeadLights
  • Rough Country Black Series Light Bar
  • Lasfit Interior LED Lights
  • Lasfit LED Fog Lights
  • Infinity Reference Dash Speakers
  • Built To Serve Edition Seat Covers
  • Rexing V1-4K Dash Camera
  • B2 Fab Round Muffler & Res Delete
  • Bulletpoint Phone Mount
  • Recon LED 3rd Brake Light
  • OEM Night Edition LED Taillights
  • Added Rain Sensing Wipers
  • Added Passive Entry
  • Added Blind Spot Monitoring
  • Blacked Out Sport Decals
And here are a couple of before/after pictures just for the hell of it.

View attachment 130332
View attachment 130335
View attachment 130334

Looking forward, I've got several items still on my wish list that I would like to add to the truck. I'm not sure if a build is ever really finished, but these are the things that I have my eyes on the most.
  • BAK Revolver X4S Bed Cover ( I have already ordered and it just arrived today. A separate post will be added for that)
  • Power Folding Tow Mirrors W/ BSM (Still backordered and I cannot seem to source anywhere right now)
  • Amp Research Power Steps
  • OEM/similar bed step
  • OEM Bed Lights
  • Rock Lights? (I'm still on the fence with these. I'm considering just buying true white lights to help accent the truck. I don't have much desire for RGBW but that could change lol)
  • 33 Gallon Fuel Tank (I've wanted to add this for awhile, seems pretty straightforward and it isn’t very expensive to add since I have the 26 gallon currently. Low priority, but would be cool to have)
  • Wheels? (Love the Fuel Rebels, but man they are just too common. Everyone runs them. Also a very low priority, but I would like to eventually sell the Fuel Rebels and throw on a different set of wheels to change things up a bit)
I’ll leave this post with a recent photo I dropped on my Instagram. I didn’t think it was anything special, but it has managed to rack up almost 4k likes in just a few days so I’m assuming that the people must love it lol.

View attachment 130336
I really like the Fuel rebels and obviously so do many others. Have you seen the wheels Hennessey puts on his Ram 1500 Mammoth TRX ? I love these wheels and have been searching for a knockoff for my project, they are simple yet look like high quality. This is my first pick if I can find them. You have a beautiful truck overall well thought out. Google Hennessey Mammoth 1000 see what you think of those wheels. Maybe together we could find some knock offs. My wheels are the last thing to figure out before start my lift install.

Users who are viewing this thread