5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack for lifted truck

2slow95vert

Reaction score
So I've got the Mopar lift and ORG front springs on my truck with 35's. Realized today that the stock jack will not lift the truck enough to change a tire. What are you guys keeping in the truck? I'm thinking about getting a bottle jack. Good idea or is there something better? I'm not gonna keep a floor jack in the truck all the time.

mine.jpg .

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
So I've got the Mopar lift and ORG front springs on my truck with 35's. Realized today that the stock jack will not lift the truck enough to change a tire. What are you guys keeping in the truck? I'm thinking about getting a bottle jack. Good idea or is there something better? I'm not gonna keep a floor jack in the truck all the time.

View attachment 104171 .
Nice looking truck!! I'd go with the bottle jack. This one looks interesting:

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-6...t=&hvlocphy=9018517&hvtargid=pla-434252435940

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Bottle jack as mentioned is the most cost effective solution that will work in most situations, and you can easily carry with you.

I have the Powerbuilt as posted above, it works great, however it will make noise as you drive due to metal to metal contact of the mechanism. I have mine in a truck tool box, so no issues, however if you plan on keeping it in the cab, you can tape down those components that make contact.

They also sell more traditional type bottle jacks that come in their own carry case.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 104171 .
Is it the tire size that is the issue? The lift should have zero effect on the factory jack being able to lift high enough

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Is it the tire size that is the issue? The lift should have zero effect on the factory jack being able to lift high enough

I think maybe concerned about being off-road? The stock jack point is under the shock mount on the rear axle for example, so it should still work fine on the street. But most stock jacks will be iffy off-road.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think maybe concerned about being off-road? The stock jack point is under the shock mount on the rear axle for example, so it should still work fine on the street. But most stock jacks will be iffy off-road.
He said it wouldn't lift high enough to change a tire. To me that means, even on pavement.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
He said it wouldn't lift high enough to change a tire. To me that means, even on pavement.

I see your point, and it's a good one for sure regarding the stock jack on the street.

I assumed he meant off-roading because not lifting high enough is the main problem with the stock jack when off-roading. The softer undulating surfaces, a stock jack rarely works off-road.

If the OP chimes in, and all he needs is a street jack, then his stock jack should be fine with 35".

2slow95vert

Reaction score
Hey, so I do mean on the street. My truck will spend very little time off the pavement. I put the stock jack under it earlier and while I didn't raise it all the way up, I did go most of the way and it didn't seem like the stock jack was going to make it. Maybe I'll try it all the way tmrw.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Hey, so I do mean on the street. My truck will spend very little time off the pavement. I put the stock jack under it earlier and while I didn't raise it all the way up, I did go most of the way and it didn't seem like the stock jack was going to make it. Maybe I'll try it all the way tmrw.

Gotcha, but you stuck it under the factory mount points as per the manual?

If so, then go with that bottle jack option.

cervelo15

Reaction score
So I ran into this issue with my old Laramie with the stock 20” rims and tires. Embarrassingly, could not jack the truck high enough with the on board jack to get the tire off. Thank god was near a gas station that had scrap pieces of wood I placed under the jack and that got me the height to get the tire off.

Happened a second time in parking deck at work. This time I had the scrap pieces of wood in my in floor cubbies in the rear floor. Worked perfectly.

To pack them easily in my rear cubbies, I cut up pieces of laminate flooring and stash Them in the floor bin. Fit easily and easy to pull out when getting a flat. You could use those or maybe a longer 2x4 if you want more stability.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I ran into this issue with my old Laramie with the stock 20” rims and tires. Embarrassingly, could not jack the truck high enough with the on board jack to get the tire off. Thank god was near a gas station that had scrap pieces of wood I placed under the jack and that got me the height to get the tire off.

Happened a second time in parking deck at work. This time I had the scrap pieces of wood in my in floor cubbies in the rear floor. Worked perfectly.

To pack them easily in my rear cubbies, I cut up pieces of laminate flooring and stash Them in the floor bin. Fit easily and easy to pull out when getting a flat. You could use those or maybe a longer 2x4 if you want more stability.
Were you not jacking from the correct jacking points? I had to change a tire not long ago on my 2020 BTS with 20" wheels and ORG. No issues getting it high enough.

cervelo15

Reaction score
Were you not jacking from the correct jacking points? I had to change a tire not long ago on my 2020 BTS with 20" wheels and ORG. No issues getting it high enough.
I put the jack on the frame jack point, right behind the front passenger wheel which was the one that was flat.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I put the jack on the frame jack point, right behind the front passenger wheel which was the one that was flat.

Gotcha, the stock jack won't work if you use it on the frame, there won't be enough lift from there.

For the front side, you use the rear portion of the lower control arms. On the rear, you use the rear axle lower control arm bracket.

Front Jack.JPG

Rear Jack.JPG

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gotcha, the stock jack won't work if you use it on the frame, there won't be enough lift from there.

For the front side, you use the rear portion of the lower control arms. On the rear, you use the rear axle lower control arm bracket.

View attachment 104258

View attachment 104259
It's amazing the things you can learn about your truck if you just read the owners manual

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Nice looking truck!! I'd go with the bottle jack. This one looks interesting:

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-6...t=&hvlocphy=9018517&hvtargid=pla-434252435940

I really like this bottle jack/jack stand hybrid. Almost every time I end up under a vehicle (which is too often), it's in the dirt. This hybrid jack looks a lot safer, especially when you need to jack something up pretty high. And the 4,000 lb version should be enough since you would likely never be lifting more than half the vehicle's gross loaded weight. The only real issue is where to store it in the truck. Bottle jacks really need to be stored in the upright position. Otherwise, the piston seals tend to leak when the jack is stored on its side long-term. Unless you have a Ram box or tool box in the bed, the only convenient and out-of-the-way place to store a bottle jack in a 5th Gen Ram would be in one of the floor storage compartments. And I believe this jack is too big for that. And in my 3rd Gen Ram, where I would likely want to keep a jack like this, there is nowhere at all. :(

DodgeLeveling06.jpg

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you! Good to know!

Easy to miss, especially if you don't have the full manual. I had to download mine first, then call Mopar to request the big paper one since you only get the quick guides in the truck initially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online