5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've been tracking fuel consumption; thought you all might find it interesting

ImEngineer

Reaction score
Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 11.20.30 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 11.20.17 PM.png

2019 Rebel with the 5.7, I purchased the tuck in November 2022. I missed one gas receipt when I let my sister borrow the truck.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Except for that staggeringly Prius like 15 mpg you started off with, that looks about the same as me, especially your more recent mpg figures.

What's your drive cycle like? Mine is about 70% city/ 30% highway on generally hilly type roads with lots of elevation changes.

beetlespin

Reaction score
I see 20+ MPG on the back roads of north central NC which are all pretty flat with the cruise control set on 55 MPH.

Slippy's Dad

Reaction score
View attachment 158455
View attachment 158454

2019 Rebel with the 5.7, I purchased the tuck in November 2022. I missed one gas receipt when I let my sister borrow the truck.

So all this tells me that you are one of those guys that when that nozzle clicks off, you are content to just immediately hang up the nozzle and leave the random value in cents. When I pull into a station and see it on the screen from the previous person, I've always wondered about your kind. Me personally, my OCD will not allow me to simply leave it there...I gotta round that up to at least the quarter (.25, .50, .75).
I can appreciate the spreadsheet though...that's more my language! I also can feel your anger towards your sister for forever leaving a hole in the spreadsheet that can never be fixed, some people just don't understand.

Have a great day you elusive Yeti! :)

Loudram

Reaction score
That's pretty close to what my truck gets. I do about 80% suburban driving, back roads to work with a few stop signs or lights every few miles and round town two lane driving with to many lights. 20% highway and almost no city unless you consider that two lane city driving.

John Galt

Reaction score
So all this tells me that you are one of those guys that when that nozzle clicks off, you are content to just immediately hang up the nozzle and leave the random value in cents. When I pull into a station and see it on the screen from the previous person, I've always wondered about your kind. Me personally, my OCD will not allow me to simply leave it there...I gotta round that up to at least the quarter (.25, .50, .75).
I can appreciate the spreadsheet though...that's more my language! I also can feel your anger towards your sister for forever leaving a hole in the spreadsheet that can never be fixed, some people just don't understand.

I do the same but for a totally different reason:

I always try to have the amount end in “0”. That way when I look at my credit card bill, if I see gas station charges that don’t end in “0” I know my card number’s been stolen. Most common use for stolen credit cards aside from large purchases that stand out anyway is gas.

some people go months without realizing someone stole their number and has been using it to buy gas because it looks like just another “normal” charge they would make.

Loudram

Reaction score
It does bother my OCD a little bit but I can live with it. Besides I'm not pumping the gas so I just tell the guy not to top it off. Self serve is still not allowed in NJ and after watching people try to use the self checkout in stores, the thought of them trying to pump their own gas is frightening.

ImEngineer

Reaction score
Except for that staggeringly Prius like 15 mpg you started off with, that looks about the same as me, especially your more recent mpg figures.

What's your drive cycle like? Mine is about 70% city/ 30% highway on generally hilly type roads with lots of elevation changes.
Mine is about the same. I live in Denver, for what it's worth. The fill-ups on 2/17 and 2/19 were on I-70 driving across Kansas at approximately 75-80mph.

ImEngineer

Reaction score

Haha, thanks. You're spot on. I'm a former mechanic and have seen many vehicles have their emission system (particularly the fuel vapor handling system) damaged by topping off a tank, so I avoid doing that. I'm not sure whether that is a common problem on these rams, but I don't really want to find out.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Haha, thanks. You're spot on. I'm a former mechanic and have seen many vehicles have their emission system (particularly the fuel vapor handling system) damaged by topping off a tank, so I avoid doing that. I'm not sure whether that is a common problem on these rams, but I don't really want to find out.

I only do the 2 click thing, just in case the first click was premature.

However, I won't stop at any number 6 in the price :)

Last edited:

Dewey

Reaction score
I learned that the hard way TWICE when I drove Silverado’s and it was costly to fix. I’m a slow learner. Now it clicks and I’m done. Haven’t had issues since on any vehicle.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Bingo!

It happened to me on my Wrangler. I squeezed a little extra in and everything seemed fine. Until the next time I started it, whereupon I had the dreaded Check Engine light. It set a code for a restricted vapor line, because liquid had made it's way up and over and it was blocking a hose. It took about a week for it to all evaporate so that when I cleared the code it stayed cleared.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"But my sticker shows between 15-21 mpg....why is it so low".

Folks don't understand that the fuel economy sticker is usually with a lower trim, in perfect conditions ( not alot of stop and go, and humidity weather doesn't change), and whine about MPG.

Very interesting number. I don't don't do alot of hyway travel and alot of just side streets with stop and go traffic. My MPG number is always around 10 mpg.

Once I hit the hyway, it climbs to 15-19 mpg...with mds off. Then when I turn on mds, it's higher.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

SD Rebel

Reaction score
"But my sticker shows between 15-21 mpg....why is it so low".

Folks don't understand that the fuel economy sticker is usually with a lower trim, in perfect conditions ( not alot of stop and go, and humidity weather doesn't change), and whine about MPG.

Very interesting number. I don't don't do alot of hyway travel and alot of just side streets with stop and go traffic. My MPG number is always around 10 mpg.

Once I hit the hyway, it climbs to 15-19 mpg...with mds off. Then when I turn on mds, it's higher.

The window sticker mpg is based on a RAM 1500 with a 3.21 rear axle on 18" street tires, that's what the EPA tested. RAM then blanket stated all the window stickers for all the various trims regardless of axle ratio or tire size & type.

The EPA allows this, it's not illegal, but they do allow the manufacturer to adjust the mpg figures down on certain trims if they want. RAM clearly decided against this, which is a bit shady on their part. Chevrolet did the right thing and actually lowered the EPA figures on their Trail Boss trim trucks because they knew the 32" Duratracs were going to hurt mpg.

For me, as someone who has owned trucks with bigger tires, I knew there was no way that a 3.92 axle 33" A/T truck was going to get anywhere near that window sticker. But for people who are new to it, it probably has been rather shocking.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The window sticker mpg is based on a RAM 1500 with a 3.21 rear axle on 18" street tires, that's what the EPA tested. RAM then blanket stated all the window stickers for all the various trims regardless of axle ratio or tire size & type.

The EPA allows this, it's not illegal, but they do allow the manufacturer to adjust the mpg figures down on certain trims if they want. RAM clearly decided against this, which is a bit shady on their part. Chevrolet did the right thing and actually lowered the EPA figures on their Trail Boss trim trucks because they knew the 32" Duratracs were going to hurt mpg.

For me, as someone who has owned trucks with bigger tires, I knew there was no way that a 3.92 axle 33" A/T truck was going to get anywhere near that window sticker. But for people who are new to it, it probably has been rather shocking.
It's a big time shocker for some. Definitely not for me. I agree

Idahoktm

Reaction score

It is a fairly common problem with the Ram's. When the pump clicks off, I'm done.

Me and two other guys were standing behind some knucklehead filling up two drinks at Jimmy John's the other day. He must have clicked the Coke dispenser 6-7 times for both drinks to get another 1/2" of Coke in his cups. I thought to myself, I bet he does this when there's a line at the gas pumps too. Annoying. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread