5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its been a pleasure

W Six

Reaction score
Yeah! Fuel milage for those are crazy considering it's an almost six thousand pound truck that's shaped like a brick!
I've passed up a couple of great deals on those.
There's a recommended/required belt change. Its between the trans and engine, internally. It requires the trans to be separated.... At least this is what I came across in my research.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
I've passed up a couple of great deals on those.
There's a recommended/required belt change. Its between the trans and engine, internally. It requires the trans to be separated.... At least this is what I came across in my research.
Yep, you're right. But on the new Duramax engines GM has revised the system so the first belt change is not until 200,000 miles.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
Thanks for the comparison. It sounds like you are happy with the change so far.

I'm not brand loyal and have had good luck with all of the big three. Each brand has its strong points and its week points. It just depends on what is most important to you.

I hope the ZR2 serves you well, it looks like it is very nice.
Thanks man! I really appreciate it.

Bigzway

Reaction score
How is the transmission with the 3.23 gears? Does the transmission down shift a lot or search for a gear? Thanks

Geddyflea

Reaction score
How is the transmission with the 3.23 gears? Does the transmission down shift a lot or search for a gear? Thanks
Not that I've noticed with the way i drive. I'm in East Tennessee so the roads are not very flat. The shifting seems pretty stable.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice truck. I'm a die hard Ram guy as my dad worked for Chrysler his whole career but my next truck will have to be a GM due to ram killing the ecodiesel.

My current 2020 ecodiesel has been great and I have 140,000km on it. I drive and tow a lot and I love to the diesel. My buddy has a new duramax and loves it. It is very smooth and quiet and gets even better mileage than I'm getting.

Sent from my SM-S911W using Tapatalk

Geddyflea

Reaction score
Nice truck. I'm a die hard Ram guy as my dad worked for Chrysler his whole career but my next truck will have to be a GM due to ram killing the ecodiesel.

My current 2020 ecodiesel has been great and I have 140,000km on it. I drive and tow a lot and I love to the diesel. My buddy has a new duramax and loves it. It is very smooth and quiet and gets even better mileage than I'm getting.

Sent from my SM-S911W using Tapatalk
I haven't driven one but from the people I've talked with and what I've read the people who own them swear by them.

rick619

Reaction score
Congrats on the new Chevy! I bought my Ram a week ago, but was also tempted by the Chevy. They do have some of the best colors to choose from.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
Congrats on the new Chevy! I bought my Ram a week ago, but was also tempted by the Chevy. They do have some of the best colors to choose from.
Thanks! Im really enjoying having a color that pops! It seems like everything is now black, silver, grey, white, dark blue or dark maroon. Next time you are at a stop light or in a parking lot, look around and notice the paint colors on just about every vehicle.

And congrats on your new ride! I know you're going to love it!

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Thanks! Im really enjoying having a color that pops! It seems like everything is now black, silver, grey, white, dark blue or dark maroon. Next time you are at a stop light or in a parking lot, look around and notice the paint colors on just about every vehicle. especially so now that we have to pay extra for paint!

Agree with that, the dark maroons are too dark really. I prefer bright red, but you can only get it in the lower trims. that's just wrong in my opinion. colors should be limited in the lower trims and the full spectrum of that year's colors available for the higher trims.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
Agree with that, the dark maroons are too dark really. I prefer bright red, but you can only get it in the lower trims. that's just wrong in my opinion. colors should be limited in the lower trims and the full spectrum of that year's colors available for the higher trims.
Amen brother!

JExpedition07

Reaction score
Congrats, I like the 6.2L in the GM. My budget wasn’t as large but I also wanted a powerful V8 when I bought. That pushed me to a 2023 Ford F-150 with the 5.0L V8/10R80. I figured it was a running horse with Ford 5.0 or a dead horse with the Ram 5.7. The Hemi is nice but I didn’t want to get into a dead horse so I passed. I have been very pleased with it, but if GM offered the 6.2L in custom and LT trims I might have went that route. The Ford 5.0L is 400 HP/410 LB FT so it’s very much in the 6.2L’s realm on power, but the 6.2 shines with the extra low end grunt. The Hurricane will likely help the Rams performance. Me and my buddy raced my 5.0 and his 5.7 both 23s. It wasn’t even close, with the lighter body and 10 speed my 5.0 put a school bus or more on his 5.7 Hemi by the time I hit the limiter. I think even with the new Hurricane the Rams will struggle against the Ford and GM N/A offerings. The 10 speeds are just lethal transmissions! Good luck with it. The 6.2 also sounds killer, sounds much better than mine.

rick619

Reaction score
Thanks! Im really enjoying having a color that pops! It seems like everything is now black, silver, grey, white, dark blue or dark maroon. Next time you are at a stop light or in a parking lot, look around and notice the paint colors on just about every vehicle.

There aren't many colors on the 5th gen that I like. Looks like they are updating the color choices on the '25, but I don't want the new engine (or first gen anything).

Since I was pretty unbiased when starting to look. I believe the Chevy's currently have the best color combos, maybe followed by Toyota and then Ford. With the Ram in 4th place for color selection.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
There aren't many colors on the 5th gen that I like. Looks like they are updating the color choices on the '25, but I don't want the new engine (or first gen anything).

Since I was pretty unbiased when starting to look. I believe the Chevy's currently have the best color combos, maybe followed by Toyota and then Ford. With the Ram in 4th place for color selection.
when I ordered my 25 I was torn between the Delmonico red and the Silver metalic. I went with the red just because it will match the bass boat better is all. even though I hate trying to keep them clean. I have a maroon chevy right now and its forever dirty.

rick619

Reaction score
when I ordered my 25 I was torn between the Delmonico red and the Silver metalic. I went with the red just because it will match the bass boat better is all. even though I hate trying to keep them clean. I have a maroon chevy right now and its forever dirty.

I hear ya there! When looking for my 5th gen, one of my preferred colors was silver because it would match my Jeep and usually looks clean enough. Though I went with Granite Crystal which I assume will usually look dirty. Lots of truck washes in my future! :rolleyes:

Geddyflea

Reaction score
Congrats, I like the 6.2L in the GM. My budget wasn’t as large but I also wanted a powerful V8 when I bought. That pushed me to a 2023 Ford F-150 with the 5.0L V8/10R80. I figured it was a running horse with Ford 5.0 or a dead horse with the Ram 5.7. The Hemi is nice but I didn’t want to get into a dead horse so I passed. I have been very pleased with it, but if GM offered the 6.2L in custom and LT trims I might have went that route. The Ford 5.0L is 400 HP/410 LB FT so it’s very much in the 6.2L’s realm on power, but the 6.2 shines with the extra low end grunt. The Hurricane will likely help the Rams performance. Me and my buddy raced my 5.0 and his 5.7 both 23s. It wasn’t even close, with the lighter body and 10 speed my 5.0 put a school bus or more on his 5.7 Hemi by the time I hit the limiter. I think even with the new Hurricane the Rams will struggle against the Ford and GM N/A offerings. The 10 speeds are just lethal transmissions! Good luck with it. The 6.2 also sounds killer, sounds much better than mine.
I appreciate the kind words. It sounds like you got an excellent truck and I hope you continue to enjoy it!

Geddyflea

Reaction score

I agree. Rams colors are pretty dark or muted. If they would produce a night edition Rebel painted Sinamon Stick or offer some of the special colors offered on the Chargers and Challengers, Ram wouldn't be able to make enough of them!

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just tried to build a MY25 Big Horn Crew cab 6.4 bed. Hydro blue and they wouldn’t let me add Night Package because hydro blue is not a monotone color🤷🏼‍♂️. Ram is finding all sorts of ways to make loyal customers shop elsewhere.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
I just tried to build a MY25 Big Horn Crew cab 6.4 bed. Hydro blue and they wouldn’t let me add Night Package because hydro blue is not a monotone color🤷🏼‍♂️. Ram is finding all sorts of ways to make loyal customers shop elsewhere.
I have to agree with you.

Does anyone remember the Mopar ad from the early 70s that has a Challenger or Satellite (I think) painted with stripes in every color they offered that year. The stripes are about 8" to a foot wide and cover the car front to back!!! Today we get the choice of 5 or 6 colors depending on the model. If you buy a Ram 2500 there is a huge color selection!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have to agree with you.

Does anyone remember the Mopar ad from the early 70s that has a Challenger or Satellite (I think) painted with stripes in every color they offered that year. The stripes are about 8" to a foot wide and cover the car front to back!!! Today we get the choice of 5 or 6 colors depending on the model. If you buy a Ram 2500 there is a huge color selection!
They offer the colors that sell the most. It's about profits.

Users who are viewing this thread