5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It happened .....scratches in the paint.

cw_mi

Reaction score
Picked up my truck in Feb. and since then it's been a constant battle to keep it clean. I've tried new techniques, and products and though I had it down pretty good. After washing it yesterday, the sun was hitting the hood just right and I saw the start of the dreaded swirl marks (actually these were straight not swirl) ... I must have done some thing wrong during the wash detail process. It has to be the "waterless" wash product I tried...that is the only thing I can think of. Not even a year old and this is happening...I might as well just start going thru drive thru washes ....Lol

SacRebel

Reaction score
You might want to consider getting the paint rubbed-out and have a ceramic coating applied. Good bye swirls.

klail

Reaction score
You might want to consider getting the paint rubbed-out and have a ceramic coating applied. Good bye swirls.
Ditto
I don't think a professional shop will have any difficulty getting those light scratches out. Also, I don't trust the waterless solutions. Worse case, if I don't have time to do a full wash I will liberally spray an area with Beadmaker and then dry off, however, this is for a vehicle that is very LIGHTLY dusty and not dirty. If there is dirt or road grime on your truck, a full wash is the best solution. I have had my truck since feb and so far so good.
Here are a couple threads on it.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/ceramic-coating-value.12490/#post-173883
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-ram-today.1686/page-138#post-123067 This page has something called beadmaker on it. It is an amazing product.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A good cleaner wax will temporarily fill in those light swirls and make them a lot less noticeable. However, I would avoid paint correction until it's necessary for the whole truck. You want to avoid excessive removal of clear coat just to remove your typical swirl marks.

You also want to avoid any waterless systems because they are simply harsher on paint. There is never going to be enough lubrication with waterless car washes to avoid fine scratches on clear coat. It's for convenience purposes only or to save water in a water sensitive area.

Users who are viewing this thread