5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues with truck today

bryan28

Reaction score
This morning after work I tried to use my key fob to remotely start my truck. It started but stopped running after a few seconds. I attempted to remotely start it again but nothing happened.

I got in the truck and the screen read "remote start disabled, service ectronic stability control, service electronic throttle control" and a yellow check engine light was on.

I started it normally from inside the cab, shut it off and restarted it multiple times. I tried again to remotely start it and the same thing happened. The yellow check engine light stayed illuminated.

I called my dealer service dept and was told the earliest I could get it in would be Tuesday morning. The service dept said if the check engine light wasn't flashing it's probably not serious.

After leaving work and stopping to eat after about 30 mins of driving I tried the remote start again and the same thing happened. The check engine light still on.

Stopped to get a few items from a store and noticed after starting it the check engine light was off. Tried remote start again and it worked normally.

My questions are does anyone have a clue what may have happened? And will there still be a code to read if the check engine light is no longer on and it's running fine again?

Truck is a 2020 Laramie with 6700 miles on it.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The only time I had that happen is when my fuel light was on, the remote start will only keep you truck on for a few seconds then turn off. That is a standard feature of remote start with low fuel. However, once you start from the inside, it won't turn off on it's own.

Based on the other details you mentioned, I don't think it's related to that. Your best bet is to read the error codes. Your OBDII codes should still be recorded even if the light turned off. You can check with the dealer or get an OBDII reader off Amazon for $14 or so, most are bluetooth and work with a free app to read codes your truck recorded.

If it's driving ok now, just wait until the dealer can check on it. Probably a sensor or something.

bryan28

Reaction score
I had 1/4 tank of fuel when it happened. I'll let the dealer check it out.

ClayFire2

Reaction score
That is the problem, when you get to 1/4 it shuts the truck off so it doesn't allow you to run out of gas.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

ramhead

Reaction score
Fill up tank, and then disconnect neg. battery cable for 10 minutes & reconnect. Said many times before....our trucks are basically PCs on wheels and the neg battery thing is like Ctrl Alt Delete on a PC.

bryan28

Reaction score
That is the problem, when you get to 1/4 it shuts the truck off so it doesn't allow you to run out of gas.

I can understand that but why would it display the "service electronic throttle control and service electronic stability control" and turn on a check engine light?

ClayFire2

Reaction score
I can understand that but why would it display the "service electronic throttle control and service electronic stability control" and turn on a check engine light?
That part I can't answer, that shouldn't happen. I luckily haven't had issues with my truck other that the radio having no sound ever once and a while but I have the Tazer DT and whenever it happens I just do a reset and it fixes everything.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

A 1/4 tank shouldn't be an issue, only if the low fuel light is on does the remote start prevent you for running longer than a few seconds. Its probably unrelated.

I wouldn't mess with anything until the dealer has a chance to read the error codes, just leave as is.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score

No. As far as fuel level is concerned, the remote start is only disabled when the low fuel light comes on. I have remote started it normally (with low fuel, but no light yet), and a minute later it shut off when the low fuel light came on.

As far as OP is concerned, the remote start is disabled any time the check engine light is on. Once the CEL went off, the remote start resumes working as normal. As already mentioned, get a code scanner and see what's stored in the memory or just take it in and see what the dealer says.

Don't know which engine you have OP, but a coworker has a Ram w/ 3.6 V6 and had the electronic throttle crap out after only a couple months. New throttle body and all is good now.

bryan28

Reaction score
Also, as I stated in the original post, after doing a little shopping the truck started with the remote start and when I got in it the check engine light was off. I never got fuel. I'll let y'all know what the service dept says on Tuesday.

I have the 5.7 engine.

Users who are viewing this thread