5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues with new to me 2019 2500 6.4

J. Reacher

Reaction score
Afternoon guys.

So, about three weeks ago I purchased my 3rd Ram. My other two were 4th gen 1500's and never had a problem with either of them.

I purchased this 19 2500 6.4 with 25 thousand miles with the intensions of starting my own business and using it to pull various heavy trailers. This truck was found on a dealership sight about an hour away from my house. Beautiful inside and out after checking it out in person.

Anyway, the day before yesterday my wife and I were out with friends about an hour away from home. We stopped out to dinner to start the night off. After dinner, we went out to the truck, jumped in and hit the start button. The truck started like it usually did but shut of right away like somebody had shut the key off.

I attempted to start it back up but seemed to be stuck in accessory. Everything was powered up as normal, but it was like there was no communication to the starter. It wouldn't do anything while hitting the start button.

After attempting this a couple times, the truck started right up and ran fine but had a check engine light. It sucked but I thought to myself "at least I got a code" and will take it in the next day "but for tonight thankfully we are still able to accommodate our company".

We pulled out of the parking lot and caught a red light. We sat there for about half a minute, truck running fine. The light turned green, and we were about six vehicles back from the intersection. As we proceeded to turn left through the busy intersection, again it was like somebody just hit the key. Luckily, I was able to finish the turn in the intersection and make my way to the curb lane.

I looked down at the dash and a bunch of different warning lights were coming up on the screen. Check trailer harness, service fuel filter, service stable track, service abs system, cannot read tire pressure as well as the check engine light. After traffic had given me a window to jump out of the truck, I popped the hood and started wiggling wires thinking there was some kind of electrical issue with a positive or ground wire.

I kept jumping in and out of the truck trying the start button but to no avail. Finally, after five- or six-minutes a cop pulled in behind me and offered to help push the truck to the nearest parking lot which was quite a bit away. We were able to get the truck into the parking lot where I tried it several more times. No joy.

We ended up having to pay just under four hundred dollars to get the truck flat bedded to a dodge dealership closest to my home which was a little over an hour away. We also had to get an Uber home as we were not able to catch a ride with the driver which again was more than I care to share.

So yesterday I called the dealership that I bought the truck at to find out what kind of help I could get to which the reply was if it was the powertrain, it would be covered. This does not put me in a good mood knowing damn well that it's not the powertrain that's the issue.

So, the dealer that currently has the truck called me today and said that they pulled a code, but it was running fine. He didn't tell me what code it was but did tell me that none of the modules in the truck were communicating. However, after clearing the code, they were not able to replicate the issue and the truck was still running tip top and I should come pick it up. I expressed my concern about pulling heavy trailers and losing the power brakes and steering while doing so could be a big issue. If they were not able to find the issue, I could no longer have trust in my vehicle. Obviously, there's nothing he could do for me which was understandable.

I still had a couple more hours until I got off of work and pick the truck up so we both agreed that they would take the truck for another long drive on the freeway and backroads to try to replicate the issue again. He ended up calling me back about twenty minutes before I got off work and told me that I was going to have to leave the truck overnight again. Apparently, they fired it up to take it for another ride and it crapped out on them before they were able to get off the lot with it.

So that's where we are at. I no longer have confidence in the truck if they can't find the source of the problem and the more I search the forums the more I'm getting scared out of my mind because I don't have the money for somebody to just take guesses on what the problem could be. I also don't have the money to keep getting this thing towed every time we find out that the last part thrown at it didn't work.

Should I ask the dealership that I purchased the truck at to purchase the truck back? Is that even an option? It's been less than thirty days.

What should I do guys?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Afternoon guys.

So, about three weeks ago I purchased my 3rd Ram. My other two were 4th gen 1500's and never had a problem with either of them.

I purchased this 19 2500 6.4 with 25 thousand miles with the intensions of starting my own business and using it to pull various heavy trailers. This truck was found on a dealership sight about an hour away from my house. Beautiful inside and out after checking it out in person.

Anyway, the day before yesterday my wife and I were out with friends about an hour away from home. We stopped out to dinner to start the night off. After dinner, we went out to the truck, jumped in and hit the start button. The truck started like it usually did but shut of right away like somebody had shut the key off.

I attempted to start it back up but seemed to be stuck in accessory. Everything was powered up as normal, but it was like there was no communication to the starter. It wouldn't do anything while hitting the start button.

After attempting this a couple times, the truck started right up and ran fine but had a check engine light. It sucked but I thought to myself "at least I got a code" and will take it in the next day "but for tonight thankfully we are still able to accommodate our company".

We pulled out of the parking lot and caught a red light. We sat there for about half a minute, truck running fine. The light turned green, and we were about six vehicles back from the intersection. As we proceeded to turn left through the busy intersection, again it was like somebody just hit the key. Luckily, I was able to finish the turn in the intersection and make my way to the curb lane.

I looked down at the dash and a bunch of different warning lights were coming up on the screen. Check trailer harness, service fuel filter, service stable track, service abs system, cannot read tire pressure as well as the check engine light. After traffic had given me a window to jump out of the truck, I popped the hood and started wiggling wires thinking there was some kind of electrical issue with a positive or ground wire.

I kept jumping in and out of the truck trying the start button but to no avail. Finally, after five- or six-minutes a cop pulled in behind me and offered to help push the truck to the nearest parking lot which was quite a bit away. We were able to get the truck into the parking lot where I tried it several more times. No joy.

We ended up having to pay just under four hundred dollars to get the truck flat bedded to a dodge dealership closest to my home which was a little over an hour away. We also had to get an Uber home as we were not able to catch a ride with the driver which again was more than I care to share.

So yesterday I called the dealership that I bought the truck at to find out what kind of help I could get to which the reply was if it was the powertrain, it would be covered. This does not put me in a good mood knowing damn well that it's not the powertrain that's the issue.

So, the dealer that currently has the truck called me today and said that they pulled a code, but it was running fine. He didn't tell me what code it was but did tell me that none of the modules in the truck were communicating. However, after clearing the code, they were not able to replicate the issue and the truck was still running tip top and I should come pick it up. I expressed my concern about pulling heavy trailers and losing the power brakes and steering while doing so could be a big issue. If they were not able to find the issue, I could no longer have trust in my vehicle. Obviously, there's nothing he could do for me which was understandable.

I still had a couple more hours until I got off of work and pick the truck up so we both agreed that they would take the truck for another long drive on the freeway and backroads to try to replicate the issue again. He ended up calling me back about twenty minutes before I got off work and told me that I was going to have to leave the truck overnight again. Apparently, they fired it up to take it for another ride and it crapped out on them before they were able to get off the lot with it.

So that's where we are at. I no longer have confidence in the truck if they can't find the source of the problem and the more I search the forums the more I'm getting scared out of my mind because I don't have the money for somebody to just take guesses on what the problem could be. I also don't have the money to keep getting this thing towed every time we find out that the last part thrown at it didn't work.

Should I ask the dealership that I purchased the truck at to purchase the truck back? Is that even an option? It's been less than thirty days.

What should I do guys?
You are in a 1500 forum so take this with a grain of salt.
I would try and get rid of it or get prepared to go after some electrical gremlins.
Our DT`s suffer from poor grounds to damaged electronics due to water leaks.
Wishing you the best of luck.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can go anywhere on the internet for general advice.

For anything specific to your vehicle - brand, model (platform) as needed depending on level of detail.

If you need model specific guidance, best served by joining our sister site hdrams.com. The HD forums here were closed so 99% of the HD traffic is there.

That said, the most common "electrical gremlin" we see on the HD's are loose fuses in the underhood PDC, and loose underhood grounds. Check them and press all fuses and relays in tight.

2019 will also likely have a sh*t battery.

Users who are viewing this thread