5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues with 3.5” lift with 22” wheels?

Bear217

Reaction score
So I had bought the 3.5” ready lift kit for my 2020 ram 1500. I have the night edition with the 22” wheels. I called my local shop and told him what I wanted done as far as lift install, tires, alignment, etc.

First he asked if I had a rebel, I said no. Then he asked if I had 4 corner air suspension, I said no. He said “okay one last thing, do you have factory 22 inch wheels?”. I said yep. Then he said “you’re not going to like what I’m about to tell you”.

Long story short he said he has taken more of the 3.5” lifts off than he has any other kit. He advised to either go with a 2” level or go up to the 4” bds. Anything between 2-4 just messes with the geometry too much and causes issues down the road. He also stated that trucks with factory 22’s have different brakes and spindles and for whatever reason the 3.5” lifts don’t agree with them.

My question for all of you is who is currently running a RL or RC 3.5” kit with factory 22’s, how long have you had it installed, and how has it held up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I had bought the 3.5” ready lift kit for my 2020 ram 1500. I have the night edition with the 22” wheels. I called my local shop and told him what I wanted done as far as lift install, tires, alignment, etc.

First he asked if I had a rebel, I said no. Then he asked if I had 4 corner air suspension, I said no. He said “okay one last thing, do you have factory 22 inch wheels?”. I said yep. Then he said “you’re not going to like what I’m about to tell you”.

Long story short he said he has taken more of the 3.5” lifts off than he has any other kit. He advised to either go with a 2” level or go up to the 4” bds. Anything between 2-4 just messes with the geometry too much and causes issues down the road. He also stated that trucks with factory 22’s have different brakes and spindles and for whatever reason the 3.5” lifts don’t agree with them.

My question for all of you is who is currently running a RL or RC 3.5” kit with factory 22’s, how long have you had it installed, and how has it held up?

The brakes are the same as far as I’m aware. They do have different spindles as the center hub is slightly larger. That still has no effect on the struts where the kit is installed. That being said, the 3.5” kit does leave some questionable suspension angles and I’ll be going with the BDS 4” kit myself. Many people take the 3.5” kit off because they do not like the ride quality. It does stiffen it up.

Bear217

Reaction score
Yea he pretty much talked me out of it. He said he’d put it on but wanted me to do some more research on it before I made a decision.

Mikemarshallau

Reaction score
ok so a novice lifted truck question here
i can sort of understand what you are saying above here (you perked my interest as i have a Laramaie with 22's)
when you say the kit leaves questionable angles is that specific to this kit or to all kits?
I was of the understanding replacing control arms went a way toward addressing issues with geometry etc
at what point (height) lift does the angles start to be suspect?
what would be the difference if i went with something like bilsteins as my lift on the front end?
i understand i would not get 3 inch out of that alone but trying to decide if i did lift my truck what is the 'best' way to do it (i realize this may be subjective for each user)

Bear217

Reaction score
i can sort of understand what you are saying above here (you perked my interest as i have a Laramaie with 22's)
when you say the kit leaves questionable angles is that specific to this kit or to all kits?
I was of the understanding replacing control arms went a way toward addressing issues with geometry etc
what would be the difference if i went with something like bilsteins as my lift on the front end?
i understand i would not get 3 inch out of that alone but trying to decide if i did lift my truck what is the 'best' way to do it (i realize this may be subjective for each user)

Yea so I asked the same question about the new UCAs and the shop said that doesn’t correct the lower ball joints. He also said that with the 3.5, the truck is very difficult to align. This goes with any of the quick 3.5” lifts. He recommended to install a level kit or go up to the 4” which requires basically all new suspension. He said he would install the 3.5 lift for me no problem but really warned me against it. Now I’m sure they’re plenty of folks with it installed and have no issues...yet.

Either way, our conversation was enough to rethink my plans and I just went with the readylift 2” leveling kit. Down the road if I want to go bigger I’ll go with a BDS 4” or something like that.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The method of lift is not the issue. The issue is the amount of lift without doing a differential and lower control arm drop. The cv angles will be less than stellar and the cv joints will be more likely to break because of it. Many people have different view but in my mind anything over a 2-2.5" level I wouldn't do personally. I almost went with the Readylift kit but didn't like the angles. I will likely be going with the 4" BDS lift in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread