5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

issue with tailgate hitting license frame and trailer plug lid !!!

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I picked up some nice black license plate frames and installed them. I just happened to watch under tailgate as I lowered it and realized tailgate hits frame! The clearance is so close that if a frame extends at all above bumpers top edge, it can interfere with tailgate and paint will wear through and then rust. Also the top trailer electrical connector lid handle just clears contacting paint of tailgate when its down. If you put some weight on tailgate it might contact it. I was really surprised how close the clearances are when gate is down. I ordered thinner frames to avoid contacting tailgate. I suggest all of you to inspect your trucks for this problem before paint is damaged.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The tailgate clearance when down to license plate frame issue is something all should at least inspect as well as how close the trailer top electrical connector lid is to paint. Perhaps some bumpers are mounted a bit higher or lower which would determine interference issues. Aftermarket plate frames can only be mounted with them bottomed out against top of bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread