5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this worthy of public notice??

Massman22Z

Reaction score
True story. Honestly. Recently bought a used 2022 1500 Quad cab from a dealer. Removed the factory running boards to refresh the brackets. Truck came out of VT, lots of salt rust. I am underneath the truck, using a Dewalt 20V drill, on low speed, with a bronze cone brush to clean off the threads of the bolts on the drivers side. Cleaning first bolt and the truck initiates the auto start procedure. I scramble out from under, try the door, and the doors are locked. Key inside in cup holder. Grab spare from inside the house (no one home to fiddle with key, play trick on dad). Open door, shut off truck. WTHeck. Put both keys on hood, wait for heart to slow down. Climb back under to finish first bolt. For the record, the set of bolts I'm cleaning are closest to the engine. Start drill, and the factory alarm starts blowing. Waited for it to stop. Climbed back under, completed the project. I did not try to repeat the event. Thoughts?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
True story. Honestly. Recently bought a used 2022 1500 Quad cab from a dealer. Removed the factory running boards to refresh the brackets. Truck came out of VT, lots of salt rust. I am underneath the truck, using a Dewalt 20V drill, on low speed, with a bronze cone brush to clean off the threads of the bolts on the drivers side. Cleaning first bolt and the truck initiates the auto start procedure. I scramble out from under, try the door, and the doors are locked. Key inside in cup holder. Grab spare from inside the house (no one home to fiddle with key, play trick on dad). Open door, shut off truck. WTHeck. Put both keys on hood, wait for heart to slow down. Climb back under to finish first bolt. For the record, the set of bolts I'm cleaning are closest to the engine. Start drill, and the factory alarm starts blowing. Waited for it to stop. Climbed back under, completed the project. I did not try to repeat the event. Thoughts?
Could be a corroded/poor ground connection compromising EMI/RFI noise immunity and perhaps messing with the RF hub?
edit: you was running that drill right next to an un-shielded main wire harness that run from front to back, most likely inducing noise to it.

Last edited:

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
You just took me back to my childhood in the 60’s…someone would some home and rattle their keys and the tv would change channels! now I feel old…..

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well that's why every repair manual starts with:
1. Disconnect the negative battery lead and secure out of the way.....

Jake1050

Reaction score
Not sure if it's related to this story but how do I know the previous owner can't start my truck with his phone app?

Users who are viewing this thread