5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this rust on the rotar/hub normal?

Sspearsau

Reaction score
Good evening everyone,

I was getting some bigger tires installed today, and when they had the wheels off I noticed some rust behind each one. Given that it was on all 4 hubs, I assume this is normal...however it just seems that there would be material used on the truck that would show any rust, regardless of whether it is hidden or not.

Do all of your trucks have this going on, too. Or should I add it to my list to have checked out at my next oil change?

Thank you in advance!

Rust on rotar - Ram.jpg

KRField

Reaction score
You can pull the rotors and clean the hubs with a wire brush. Then apply a light coat of antiseieze to it. I do it to any vehicle I do brake jobs on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's worse depending how deep you live in a rust belt. If you don't rotate often or apply a thin layer of grease, ion transfer can happen and "weld" the rim to the rotor

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Not only normal, but there isn't much you can do about it. Hot metal is more chemically reactive, so it rusts faster. And brakes get hot. You can't paint it. It'll just burn off and stink the whole time it's doing it. You can lay a coat of antiseize on the hub to keep the rotor from permanently attaching itself, as stated above, and that's the extent of it. Even that can smell if the brakes get really really hot, like on a long downgrade in heavy traffic.

Users who are viewing this thread