5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this rack and pinion issue worth fixing?

Slimmons

Reaction score
When I drive over 40-45 mph, around a left hand curve, my steering wheel gets locked, but only a small amount. It feels exactly like lane keep assist, where it just holds it there, but if I apply a couple of pounds of pressure it releases.

It's been an issue since the day I bought the truck, and I've taken it into the dealership a couple of times for this issue. They, of course, did not find the issue until ~500 miles past my warranty. Typical.

So, now that I've fought RAM, and the dealership, they are saying they will pay all but $650. I strongly believe that they should cover it under the warranty since it was documented since I got the vehicle, but they disagree.

My question is, do you think this rack and pinion will just keep doing what it's doing for the remainder of the life of the truck, or will it get worse? The problem bothers me, but not a lot. I mostly wanted it fixed because it's a bit of a safety issue for someone else who drives the vehicle and doesn't know it's there. But, I almost hate to take the deal just because I'm a bit enraged that RAM isn't honoring their warranty unless a dealership agrees it was an issue. I don't know anything about electronic rack and pinions, and maybe this will last forever like this. Maybe not. Anyone have experience with this?

For more info. on the warranty issues, that's here: Dealership delays repair until after warranty? (possibly not malicious)

Sportznut

Reaction score
It sounds like you might be talking about the issue in this thread. Should have all the information you need.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Slimmons

Reaction score
Thanks, that's exactly the issue I've had. I'm glad they're willing to help pay for the issue, but I can't believe this isn't a safety recall. It's very dangerous. I guess I'll just pay out of pocket. Thanks

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
don't mess around with a binding-rack...something could break off at some point inside it, and lock it up, in the middle of a turn!

Bub

Reaction score
I realize this is an old thread, but I had a similar problem and my dealer is going to replace the rack. My 2021 Rebel has 35500 miles. The rack will take about a week to get in. I also have 2 cracked exhaust manifolds. ETA 6 months. It took them less than an hour to diagnose both problems, so I’m guessing there’s some history there.

Users who are viewing this thread