5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this noise normal?

Reaction score
I hope my OneDrive video link works.

On startup I hear a clicking noise, almost like the lifters. This sound if I'm not mistaken has been here since new but my warranty is coming to an end in May 2024 and I wanted to have it checked (I should have done this awhile back). I think since lifting my truck I hear it more because of the large gap on the wheel well. Sounds louder while warming up but is still present once warmed up just not as loud.

I've got an appointment booked with the dealer, but before I spend $160 on labour (if not coverage under warranty) I wanted to see if anyone has this sound and if it is normal.

Try to ignore the exhaust, as that is the Borla Atak.

Any ideas?

Arth

Reaction score
I hope my OneDrive video link works.

On startup I hear a clicking noise, almost like the lifters. This sound if I'm not mistaken has been here since new but my warranty is coming to an end in May 2024 and I wanted to have it checked (I should have done this awhile back). I think since lifting my truck I hear it more because of the large gap on the wheel well. Sounds louder while warming up but is still present once warmed up just not as loud.

I've got an appointment booked with the dealer, but before I spend $160 on labour (if not coverage under warranty) I wanted to see if anyone has this sound and if it is normal.

Try to ignore the exhaust, as that is the Borla Atak.

Any ideas?

Yeah you're going to find out it's probably a broken exhaust manifold bolt. Though it doesn't sound exactly the same as I've heard before. Might be due to the camera and how it's picking up the sound but sure sounds similar.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree on exhaust. My passenger side is doing it. I used a mechanic's stethoscope on mine. Seemed to confirm it.

I can barely hear it from when I enter the truck but the other day I heard it when I started the truck and went to the passenger side wheel to air it up.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah you're going to find out it's probably a broken exhaust manifold bolt. Though it doesn't sound exactly the same as I've heard before. Might be due to the camera and how it's picking up the sound but sure sounds similar.
Def sounds like the common exhaust manifold issue members have talked about on here countless times!

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Thanks for the responses. I was in the fence with it being exhaust leak. I would say 50/50 between lifters and exhaust.

Is this manifold issue covered under warranty? Especially if it seems like an ongoing issue?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Thanks for the responses. I was in the fence with it being exhaust leak. I would say 50/50 between lifters and exhaust.

Is this manifold issue covered under warranty? Especially if it seems like an ongoing issue?

Extended powertrain covers it, that's 5 years / 60K miles starting from date of purchase. If your truck was purchased after 11/2018, you should still be covered. Assuming you have less than 60K miles as well.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could give it a shot, especially if you have a consistent relationship with that dealership. Call your service advisor and see what he says.
I've never been back to the dealer since I drove it off the lot believe it or not. I do all the fluids and basics. My brother and I will knock it out faster than the dealer anyway and I'll get the remflexes, etc

Reaction score
I have expenses warranty 160,000km (1000,000mi) so definitely covered since I only have 84,000km (52,000mi)

Just picked up from dealer and they confirmed both driver and passenger manifolds are leaking and have ordered the kit. Apparently it's on back order.

Does anyone know what comes in the kit?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have expenses warranty 160,000km (1000,000mi) so definitely covered since I only have 84,000km (52,000mi)

Just picked up from dealer and they confirmed both driver and passenger manifolds are leaking and have ordered the kit. Apparently it's on back order.

Does anyone know what comes in the kit?
The driver and passenger side kits should include manifold, gaskets, fasteners, heat shield and perhaps a set of straps. My passenger side did at least.
And yes, they are on back-order.

Users who are viewing this thread