5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this forum hacked?

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Hey guys... Wth has been going on last week or 2 with these random threads being started and instantly closed... Im getting notifications nonstop of new threads and it's 75% spam.... Am I the only one seeing this? Just wanted to make sure it's not on my end and figure out wth is goin on

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys... Wth has been going on last week or 2 with these random threads being started and instantly closed... Im getting notifications nonstop of new threads and it's 75% spam.... Am I the only one seeing this? Just wanted to make sure it's not on my end and figure out wth is goin on

Your not the only one getting them.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Your not the only one getting them.
Okay good to know... Weird, wonder if we should be worried about any personal info, I've followed forums for years and years and have never seen any of my followed forums do this.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is a ton of spam every day, and we're beating them down as fast as we can. It's just the nature of the forum business - I really don't know why these spammers want to sell CBD gummies so bad.
The spammers are just new members posting links, trying to get someone to click on them. They aren't hacking into the system.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
There is a ton of spam every day, and we're beating them down as fast as we can. It's just the nature of the forum business - I really don't know why these spammers want to sell CBD gummies so bad.
The spammers are just new members posting links, trying to get someone to click on them. They aren't hacking into the system.
Alright, thanks... I figured it was just spam but I know it's usually a pretty lengthy process to make a new email account etc... Just to post a couple random letters to be insta banned lol weirdos getting desperate these days I guess.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
turning off notifications will help.
I understand that but thanks for the amazing tip lol.... Just curious about what was going on, never seen a forum as bad as what it's been the last couple weeks.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I understand that but thanks for the amazing tip lol.... Just curious about what was going on, never seen a forum as bad as what it's been the last couple weeks.

All of them are this bad, it’s just a constant battle to balance being too restrictive and not restrictive enough. A lot of forums handle things differently, but the result is always the same- a tiny number are actual users that the software sees as non-malicious so they are granted an account. The only way to prevent that is manual intervention on each new user, which we are currently doing.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
wait..now you tell me it's spam? DAMN!...I just finished learning Mandarin in Chinese class so I could keep up with the forum!

Hope you took a break from learning Chinese to at least indoctrinate yourself with the fool proof ways of our neighbors to the north when it comes to appetite fat burners!

Untitled12432.png

It has been a ton better lately though, I'm not sure if I've noticed them at all the last few days and if so barely at all compared to when I screenshotted the above.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Been seeing those late night spammers each night since I’m logged on during that time. I’m a mod on another site and it seems they’re usually most active after midnight. Only way we stopped it was doing background checks on member info to make sure they’re legit. (name/email) Red flags immediately go up for known spammers. Just letting anybody join is asking for trouble.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Okay good to know... Weird, wonder if we should be worried about any personal info, I've followed forums for years and years and have never seen any of my followed forums do this.

What personal information are you concerned about? Anybody mining data from this site could determine that I have a 2021 Laramie with all of the options listed in my signature and I live in Idaho. Not much to worry about.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Been seeing those late night spammers each night since I’m logged on during that time. I’m a mod on another site and it seems they’re usually most active after midnight. Only way we stopped it was doing background checks on member info to make sure they’re legit. (name/email) Red flags immediately go up for known spammers. Just letting anybody join is asking for trouble.
Right now, all new members are set up so that their first post has to be approved by a moderator before they can do anything else. Honestly, I'm not sure how some of these are making it through.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought maybe I missed the creation of a new word there Joe, so I looked it up to see. Apparently Serengeti is the closest form of this word... :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 126129

Haha technically the past tense or "past participle" to get real fancy, of screen shot. However, there's a chance I may have meant serengeti :ROFLMAO:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

As @Eighty said, those first post threads by new members have to be approved by a mod before they post. Something in Xenforo must be tripping the new thread notifications prior to approval. They're deleted for reasons already covered (spam).

Right now, all new members are set up so that their first post has to be approved by a moderator before they can do anything else. Honestly, I'm not sure how some of these are making it through.

maybe they joined before this rule and were just waiting.

This.

I'm usually on checking for spam until midnight MDT or later, often until 0200 and sometimes later.

Very few are getting through since the new settings were deployed. Same thing I'm seeing over at HDRams.

There's some TLD restrictions also in place, and (I believe) a secondary spam honeypot.

Users who are viewing this thread