5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there any way to disable MDS without a tuner/tune?

Laramiedave1

Reaction score
New to this forum since I just picked up a 2019 ram 1500 Laramie last week. I am curious if there’s anyway to disable the MDS active fuel management system on these trucks without getting a tune? I have the 5.7 hemi without e torque but can still hear the engine lose a couple cylinders as the eco mode turns on and I want to disable this. I see AFM/DFM disabled devices like https://amzn.to/4d89jr1 that plug right into the OBD port and am wondering if they actually work. I’m sure there’s a bunch of other threads on this already but I got to make my first post about something.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Two ways generally, one is to set your gear limiter (+-) controls on the lower right of your steering wheel to 8th gear. You will have full 8 gear function but no MDS.

The 2nd is to put it in tow/haul mode, similar to sport mode in other vehicles minus the throttle ratio being changed. However, it will hold gear longer and won't upshift while braking or cruising until you press on the throttle again. Recommended for mountain or hilly driving even when not towing by the manual to keep tranny temps in check.

Also, you can turn on your "ECO" light in your Uconnect menu so you can tell when the MDS is actually functioning.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
New to this forum since I just picked up a 2019 ram 1500 Laramie last week. I am curious if there’s anyway to disable the MDS active fuel management system on these trucks without getting a tune? I have the 5.7 hemi without e torque but can still hear the engine lose a couple cylinders as the eco mode turns on and I want to disable this. I see AFM/DFM disabled devices like https://amzn.to/4d89jr1 that plug right into the OBD port and am wondering if they actually work. I’m sure there’s a bunch of other threads on this already but I got to make my first post about something.
The pulsar can permanently disable it with one if it's four modes. It allows you to run stock tune with mds disabled, but probably a little pricy if that's the only reason you buy it. I keep mine in tow mode with mds disabled and it really improves the feel of the truck.

Laramiedave1

Reaction score
Two ways generally, one is to set your gear limiter (+-) controls on the lower right of your steering wheel to 8th gear. You will have full 8 gear function but no MDS.

The 2nd is to put it in tow/haul mode, similar to sport mode in other vehicles minus the throttle ratio being changed. However, it will hold gear longer and won't upshift while braking or cruising until you press on the throttle again. Recommended for mountain or hilly driving even when not towing by the manual to keep tranny temps in check.

Also, you can turn on your "ECO" light in your Uconnect menu so you can tell when the MDS is actually functioning.
Thanks for the info. Yeah I see the eco light popping up on my dashboard, but didn’t know if there was a way to fully disable this feature with a button or a setting etc. Your explanation is definitely helpful I guess I will just set the gear controls manually each time that seems to be the best option. Is this what you personally do?

Laramiedave1

Reaction score
The pulsar can permanently disable it with one if it's four modes. It allows you to run stock tune with mds disabled, but probably a little pricy if that's the only reason you buy it. I keep mine in tow mode with mds disabled and it really improves the feel of the truck.
How much is the pulsar? Like $500 right

Users who are viewing this thread