5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there any reason to NOT get 4 wheel drive?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My only 4x4 truck was a Chevrolet and I learned from that experience about the extra repair costs and that under certain conditions it offer no advantage.

My last four trucks have been two-wheel drives ( 1 Dakota, 3 Rams). In my situation I put on about 100,000+ miles in four years since my truck is my only vehicle. When I listen to others recount their gas mileage it becomes a reassurance of my decision. What I have done is ordered my 2-wheel drive trucks with limited slip rear axles, and even though I live in a very wintery part of the country, they've never let me down. I have hunting property that has a steep and challenging driveway and when it's muddy I have trouble. But so do the 4-wheel drives trucks!

It is true the resale value 4x4 is higher, but so is the option's purchase price. The option always returns less than the full price of the option. Actual value is depreciated by years and miles. In my case I could use four-wheel drive less that 0.10 % of the time. Even if I drove far less miles per year I'm not really not sure I'd opt for 4x4, so I don't consider it money well spent.

But your situation may be different and may justify the option cost of 4x4. If you have another vehicle for travelling and you only put 10-12K miles on a year, it may be worth the piece of mind.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 008954 miles.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My only 4x4 truck was a Chevrolet and I learned from that experience about the extra repair costs and that under certain conditions it offer no advantage.

My last four trucks have been two-wheel drives ( 1 Dakota, 3 Rams). In my situation I put on about 100,000+ miles in four years since my truck is my only vehicle. When I listen to others recount their gas mileage it becomes a reassurance of my decision. What I have done is ordered my 2-wheel drive trucks with limited slip rear axles, and even though I live in a very wintery part of the country, they've never let me down. I have hunting property that has a steep and challenging driveway and when it's muddy I have trouble. But so do the 4-wheel drives trucks!

It is true the resale value 4x4 is higher, but so is the option's purchase price. The option always returns less than the full price of the option. Actual value is depreciated by years and miles. In my case I could use four-wheel drive less that 0.10 % of the time. Even if I drove far less miles per year I'm not really not sure I'd opt for 4x4, so I don't consider it money well spent.

But your situation may be different and may justify the option cost of 4x4. If you have another vehicle for travelling and you only put 10-12K miles on a year, it may be worth the piece of mind.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 008954 miles.
Well said. I've owned 2WD trucks that were purpose-built for pulling heavy loads down the highway, whereas my current truck (4WD, ORG, air suspension) is better suited to lugging a few buddies in the back woods.

PTRAM

Reaction score
Hi All!
I have been searching for my dream Ram since May. I currently have a 2012 Big Horn and before that a Dakota, but neither were 4x4. It seems finding my perfect truck on the lot may not happen, so I may consider building one. The ones that are on the lots that are close to what I want are 4x4, and even if I order, I may want to order it all including etorque and 4x4. But, I live on the east coast of Florida, don’t go off roading or tow anything. However, we do get tropical storms and bad storms regularly where road conditions are atrocious with high speed winds. And I may move to TN are in the next few years. My real question is, is there a reason to not get 4 wheel drive. I may not need it use it, but does mean I should not have it? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I live in Up state of SC where we might get one snow a winter and already had one this year. However, wife and I are retired senior citizens and I see no reason not to purchase a 4 wheel drive. I set mine to "auto" and let it kick in whenever the situation requires it. On a wet road I don't hesitate to take off when the light turns green if nobody is in front of me and I don't have to worry that my tires will spin. I also have a Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk which is also 4 wheel drive and this model is the "off road" model and so far I haven't slid off the road so no use for off road driving (ha,ha) but I love it too.

kbUSMC2012

Reaction score
I feel like most guys buy 4WD because “it’s just a truck thing.. trucks are just supposed to be 4WD.” I didn’t buy a 4WD because after a no BS assessment I realized I didn’t need it and would never use it.

If any of us truly went off-roading in any serious capacity, you probably wouldn’t buy a Ram. You’d probably have a Wrangler or Tacoma.

For that 1% of the time that you’re not on pavement, maybe it’ll pay off, but I’ve never been in a situation driving on gravel, dirt, or grass where I’ve gotten stuck in a 2WD. If it’s a torrential downpour, then driving on a dirt road probably isn’t a good idea anyways. You could potentially lose traction in all 4 wheels, and 4WD will do you no good.

For the resale argument, it doesn’t hold water. Go tell your financial advisor “Yeah I spent 3,500 extra for a feature I won’t use because 3 years from now it’ll add 2,000 to the resale value” and see what he says.

We can play the what if game all day about what kind of situations you’ll be driving in, but bottom line a 2WD truck will get you 99% of the places you want to go. Is it worth the additional 3,500 bucks? To me, not at all.

/rant

rmonte4

Reaction score
I feel like most guys buy 4WD because “it’s just a truck thing.. trucks are just supposed to be 4WD.” I didn’t buy a 4WD because after a no BS assessment I realized I didn’t need it and would never use it.

If any of us truly went off-roading in any serious capacity, you probably wouldn’t buy a Ram. You’d probably have a Wrangler or Tacoma.

For that 1% of the time that you’re not on pavement, maybe it’ll pay off, but I’ve never been in a situation driving on gravel, dirt, or grass where I’ve gotten stuck in a 2WD. If it’s a torrential downpour, then driving on a dirt road probably isn’t a good idea anyways. You could potentially lose traction in all 4 wheels, and 4WD will do you no good.

For the resale argument, it doesn’t hold water. Go tell your financial advisor “Yeah I spent 3,500 extra for a feature I won’t use because 3 years from now it’ll add 2,000 to the resale value” and see what he says.

We can play the what if game all day about what kind of situations you’ll be driving in, but bottom line a 2WD truck will get you 99% of the places you want to go. Is it worth the additional 3,500 bucks? To me, not at all.

/rant

This was my thinking as well, $3500 to use on other options i'd actually enjoy more. Living in texas and driving on pavement 100% of the time i doubt id use 4X4 except that 1 day it snows every 2yrs. My order hasnt arrived yet though so i just hope i made the right decision. I did not buy the E-Locker option either that someone suggested above, hope that wasnt a mistake.

Used that $3500 instead on the panoramic sunroof (personal taste), Rambox, & Bed utility group. Offsets.

Last edited:

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in Up state of SC where we might get one snow a winter and already had one this year. However, wife and I are retired senior citizens and I see no reason not to purchase a 4 wheel drive. I set mine to "auto" and let it kick in whenever the situation requires it. On a wet road I don't hesitate to take off when the light turns green if nobody is in front of me and I don't have to worry that my tires will spin. I also have a Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk which is also 4 wheel drive and this model is the "off road" model and so far I haven't slid off the road so no use for off road driving (ha,ha) but I love it too.

Ain't that the truth, PT. 4auto on slick roads is the best thing since sliced bread. I'd never go back to a 2WD anything.

doublenichols

Reaction score
I'm in FULL agreement with MOST of the responses here, but ESPECIALLY with Gliderpilot! Even if you're not a big user; If you EVER want to sell or trade down the road, you'll regret not having the 4X4 option on your vehicle. I'm in Georgia, and I've NEVER used 4X4. I'm one of those guys who's more enamored by how nice the truck is (inside and out), and will NEVER use it for more than a show toy, but when I sold my last RAM, which didn't have it, I could've kicked myself. Made sure I had it this time!

EJ_Reynolds

Reaction score
Its all preference. For me, it's payload and towing capacity. I use my truck to haul my trailer and car to events. It will spend it life on payment. This coming from someone who downgraded from a 4x4 2500 CTD. It was overkill and an extra expense. Also, its cheaper to upgrade gearing if you want to run a crazy tire setup and what not.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not having 4WD is something you really don't notice until you need it. Then you really notice.

I don't use it that often, but with the winter weather we've had recently, I wouldn't have a truck without it.

...but I doubt you'll have that specific problem. :cool:

Dgulia

Reaction score
I have always bought 4x4 because usually you don't need it but the only time when you need it. You have it.

John813

Reaction score
I went 4x2 this time around.

Past two trucks were 4x4 and the only time I used 4x4 was on offroading trips, where there was deep sugar sand, muck, clay and or mud. I found changing to a more aggressive tire made a world of difference in getting through the above mentioned terrain in just 2WD. Of course there were trade offs for MPG, road noise etc.

This Ram won't see the above terrain. Mainly cause it won't get the suspension work that allowed me to go to those sites.
Will purely be a DD with some use to jobsites, mainly after subgrade has been laid down, or the ground has been compacted enough.
No snow in FL, so no worries about that.

brandon706

Reaction score
I own a 2wd Ram here in Jersey where it snows for 7yrs and not once I felt like I needed 4wd. The limited slip rear drives through snow with no issue. I don't go off-reading, I only use my truck for towing, hauling and daily driving.

RichRios

Reaction score
I own a 2wd Ram here in Jersey where it snows for 7yrs and not once I felt like I needed 4wd. The limited slip rear drives through snow with no issue. I don't go off-reading, I only use my truck for towing, hauling and daily driving.
I got to try off-reading

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had 2 2wd pickup's in Ohio. I used to put weight in the bed and keep good tires and I never got stuck even in some big snow storms, yes you have to feather the throttle more when pulling away from a stop but I always got where I needed to go. I got full trade in value for them as well. That said I like having the 4x4 now, it is just nice to just go and not worry about it. It used to be 4x4's got a lot worse mileage but not really so anymore since they disconnect most of the system when not in use and the ride hieght is exactly the same on the 5th gens so you really only have the weight of the system added to the truck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread