5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there any 6" lift kit, that does not use garbage tie rod ends?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've used rancho, rough country, and zone on 1500 trucks, and the weak-link on these kits is the tie rod ends. ranch was the worse, and actually used a new inner rod too, which was total crap. 10k of road driving, noticeable play. I ended up shortening a stock tie rod, re-threading it, and making a bushing in the knuckles to reduce the taper to be able to use just factory tie rod ends. On my rough country lift when the tie rod wore, I decided to get a set of tie rod ends fro BDS, thinking they'd be better. But unfortunately, they are are imported, not great quality. I also spend hours in parts store opening boxes, trying to figure out if the taper that all these lift makers are using, fit something, like a chevy/ford, and they I can source my own tie rod ends from a good manufacturer, but the threading and taper appear to be totally proprietary, making you buy them from the lift manufacturer.

Honestly, shortening and threading a factory inner, and making a stainless reducer bushing for the knuckles, came out nice. It be nice if you can buy something that re-uses a factory tie rod end.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thanks. that's the info I was looking for! I confirmed on the kit instructions, it re-uses factory stuff. Do you still have this kit installed? How did you like it ?

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thanks. that's the info I was looking for! I confirmed on the kit instructions, it re-uses factory stuff. Do you still have this kit installed? How did you like it ?

I did on my old truck, no issues.

Attachments

• 98D221D3-CB71-4F04-B9D6-4860168CB226.jpeg
    98D221D3-CB71-4F04-B9D6-4860168CB226.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 17

Users who are viewing this thread