5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there an hard fold tonneau cover that wont block the rear view mirror camera?

Denali

Reaction score
New member here with my first post.
I have a '22 Limited (w/Ram Boxes & no multi gate) arriving the end of April and I am trying to order some accessories in advance -- first being a tonneau cover. I live in Alaska so the roll-up covers are no bueno, hard folding (low profile) seems to be the ticket. Any suggestions for a hard folder that wont block the 3rd tail light camera when folded upright? I'd also like to be able to shut the tailgate without having to lift the tonneau if possible. Thanks all!

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
I am waiting on my Limited as well (no Ram Boxes or MFT) and got a Leer HF650M hard cover.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Bakflip MX4. It does not interfere with the camera when fully open and can be closed with the tailgate up or down.
I remember someone asking this same question before and I took pictures of it for them. MX4 doesn't cover the camera/light

Denali

Reaction score
As mentioned above the Leer HF650M won't cover the rearview camera. It's a quad fold so it sits lower when folded all the way up.
Looks like they don't have one to fit with Ram Boxes.

Denali

Reaction score
I have a Bakflip MX4. It does not interfere with the camera when fully open and can be closed with the tailgate up or down.
Sounds like the winner - thanks!

Any issues you have had with it?

petersandler

Reaction score
New member here with my first post.
I have a '22 Limited (w/Ram Boxes & no multi gate) arriving the end of April and I am trying to order some accessories in advance -- first being a tonneau cover. I live in Alaska so the roll-up covers are no bueno, hard folding (low profile) seems to be the ticket. Any suggestions for a hard folder that wont block the 3rd tail light camera when folded upright? I'd also like to be able to shut the tailgate without having to lift the tonneau if possible. Thanks all!
What about a rollup cover like the Truxedo Sentry CT or Gator HR1? The aesthetics of a soft cover, but the aluminum slatted underside will support 400 hundred pounds. When fully open they don't take space in the bed or block the rear window (or rear view mirror camera). It can even be released completely without tools if needed. Best of both worlds in my opinion. That's how I'm going when my truck arrives.

Denali

Reaction score
What about a rollup cover like the Truxedo Sentry CT or Gator HR1? The aesthetics of a soft cover, but the aluminum slatted underside will support 400 hundred pounds. When fully open they don't take space in the bed or block the rear window (or rear view mirror camera). It can even be released completely without tools if needed. Best of both worlds in my opinion. That's how I'm going when my truck arrives.
Roll-ups (including hard insert) don't do well in snow and ice conditions -- and as often as I open and close it's not an option for me. Thanks for the post though!(y)

fat trout

Reaction score
I have the solid fold 2.0 on my bighorn. I can't imagine it blocking a 3rd light camera.....granted I don't have the camera but it folds like the backflip from what I can tell. I'm 3 winters into my solid fold and I deal with plenty of ice and snow in the northeast. I can't imagine using a soft cover in the ice and snow.

Denali

Reaction score
Welp, looks like the Bakflip MX4 is not an option now - it only works with the silver rails not the current black rails.

Any other possibilities?

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welp, looks like the Bakflip MX4 is not an option now - it only works with the silver rails not the current black rails.

Any other possibilities?
Seems like your only option might be to install the silver rails for an aftermarket tonneau. Here is a link to another thread discussing this.

Last edited:

Maxx102

Reaction score
Another option you may want to look at is one that isn't mass produced and is sort of a local brand from a truck accessories company in my part of the country, Radco. They have a Bakflip style cover that you can remove when it's up against the rear window for full bed usage. It's very popular here in the midwest. It's made out of aluminum panels and has a diamond plate tread pattern and coated in a black Line-x type coating. Unfortunately you do have the silver rail thing going on too.

Zr1bandit

Reaction score
I am waiting on my Limited as well (no Ram Boxes or MFT) and got a Leer HF650M hard cover.
Did you install your cover ok. Saw somewhere where they don’t seal too good and should be longer to fit properly. Thanks.

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
Did you install your cover ok. Saw somewhere where they don’t seal too good and should be longer to fit properly. Thanks.
Yes I got it installed. I had to tweak it a few times but it’s good now. I agree that to make an easier fit it could have been a little longer but I am happy with it.

Zr1bandit

Reaction score
Yes I got it installed. I had to tweak it a few times but it’s good now. I agree that to make an easier fit it could have been a little longer but I am happy with it.
We’re you able to get it to seal out water ok ??

Users who are viewing this thread