5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a USB port on the 2019 RAM that works with android auto but doesn't stay on when the truck is off?

mntgoat

Reaction score
I bought a wireless android auto adapter but the USB port I hooked it up to appears to stay on for a long time. It is really annoying, any time I'm near the garage my phone goes nuts.

Are there Android auto USB ports on the truck that don't stay on?

Thanks.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No. They all stay on for about an hour after you shutoff the truck.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Has anyone come with any clever solution to this issue?
I know the AAWireless has an option to turn off when the truck isn't on or something like that. I use the Motorola one. The only thing you can do is unplug it. You can also try Bixby Routines (Samsung) or Tasker. Not sure if those will work. You could setup something that only triggers with BT connection to Uconnect.

CatServant

Reaction score
Keep the firmware in the adapter up to date. I had issues with reconnecting without unplugging and replugging the adapter (CarPlay2Air), but eventually the adapter manufacturer got it addressed in the firmware.

mntgoat

Reaction score
I know the AAWireless has an option to turn off when the truck isn't on or something like that. I use the Motorola one. The only thing you can do is unplug it. You can also try Bixby Routines (Samsung) or Tasker. Not sure if those will work. You could setup something that only triggers with BT connection to Uconnect.
Interesting, I wonder how they detect that. Might be worth returning the carsifi and getting the aawireless if that really works.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Interesting, I wonder how they detect that. Might be worth returning the carsifi and getting the aawireless if that really works.
They have an app and if I remember right, it can detect when BT disconnects. I haven't used mine for awhile since I switched to the Motorola.

mntgoat

Reaction score
Looks like carsifi has released an update that does this as well. I'll try it tomorrow.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I bought a wireless android auto adapter but the USB port I hooked it up to appears to stay on for a long time. It is really annoying, any time I'm near the garage my phone goes nuts.

Are there Android auto USB ports on the truck that don't stay on?

Thanks.

The 12v on the top front of the dash turns off with the engine. You can get a flush mounted 12v to UBS-C adaptor, and if the wireless android auto dongle is small, you can hide it and barely see it up there.

Here is my action cam setup as a dashcam using this method.

Dashcam.jpg

mntgoat

Reaction score
The 12v on the top front of the dash turns off with the engine. You can get a flush mounted 12v to UBS-C adaptor, and if the wireless android auto dongle is small, you can hide it and barely see it up there.

Here is my action cam setup as a dashcam using this method.

View attachment 142056
The issue is that it has to be connected to a USB port that has android auto for it to work.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The issue is that it has to be connected to a USB port that has android auto for it to work.

Oh gotcha, yeah, this won't do data, this is purely for power.

As mentioned, there is a circuit breaker trick that will remove the 1 hour USB setting, I would check on that, there should be a thread on it somewhere here.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh gotcha, yeah, this won't do data, this is purely for power.

As mentioned, there is a circuit breaker trick that will remove the 1 hour USB setting, I would check on that, there should be a thread on it somewhere here.
The circuit breaker trick is only for the top charging port. It can be set as always on or off when truck is off by moving a fuse under the steering wheel.
The 1-hour USB off cannot be changed.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The circuit breaker trick is only for the top charging port. It can be set as always on or off when truck is off by moving a fuse under the steering wheel.
The 1-hour USB off cannot be changed.

When you say the top charging port, you mean the USB & UBS-C on the center console or you mean the 12V on top? The 12V on top has always been off, at least on my trim level.

I remember seeing a thread where there was a circuit breaker trick for the 1-hour, but if you researched it, then maybe that wasn't the case.

vincentw56

Reaction score
The 12 volt plug on top can be switched on all trucks by moving the fuse under the steering wheel. It can be always on or off. I believe it's off by default.

I've never heard of any trick on the USB ports, but that'd be cool if you could.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The 12 volt plug on top can be switched on all trucks by moving the fuse under the steering wheel. It can be always on or off. I believe it's off by default.

I've never heard of any trick on the USB ports, but that'd be cool if you could.

Gotcha on the top port, makes sense, in past discussions some people had the 1 hour on that, some didn't.

Yup, the 1 hour with the rest of the USB ports started on the HD forums and some on the DT forums found it worked as well. I didn't pay attention because I didn't care about it at the time, but there is a thread here that discussed it and that it worked, I think I even saw a wiring schematic. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Users who are viewing this thread