5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a difference between having your trans/ecu updated vs having it flashed?

gscarazz

Reaction score
A little backstory I have been having some weird transmission shaking when coming to a stop when starting off. The problem is intermittent. I took the truck to the dealer and told them of the problem. They test drove the truck and were not able to replicate the issue. They performed an update and gave the truck back. The truck drove perfectly on the way home. However the next day the issue was back. What else could I do? I read somewhere that having the trans flashed would help. Should I go back and ask for that?

Nibis

Reaction score
Pretty sure anytime they update, it's a re-flash

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A little backstory I have been having some weird transmission shaking when coming to a stop when starting off. The problem is intermittent. I took the truck to the dealer and told them of the problem. They test drove the truck and were not able to replicate the issue. They performed an update and gave the truck back. The truck drove perfectly on the way home. However the next day the issue was back. What else could I do? I read somewhere that having the trans flashed would help. Should I go back and ask for that?
Pretty sure anytime they update, it's a re-flash

Yup! Updating the software on these is like updating the BIOS on your computer; its a flash/re-flash. The question is, what update did the dealership perform? There are a few different computer modules in our trucks.

Its also possible they didn't update squat; they may have hooked up to your computer, saw there were no updates available, and called it done. I've seen dealerships do this "update check" and call it a "performed update" on an invoice. If they actually did do a reflash or an update, your receipt/invoice should show exactly what update they performed.

You could try the old factory re-learn/reset. Disconnect battery cables for 30+ minutes, reconnect them. This wipes a lot of the "learning" the computer has done on your driving style (or previous owner if you bought it used), and forces it to relearn your driving style. Solved some tranny issues in the past for some folks in the 4th gen section.
Some things in your uConnect may take a while to come back fully (hours) and won't show up in your screens until they do, so don't freak out. Your MPG may go down a little for a short period of time as it relearns, and the truck may behave strangely for a little bit as well. All can be normal with a relearn.

gscarazz

Reaction score
Yup! Updating the software on these is like updating the BIOS on your computer; its a flash/re-flash. The question is, what update did the dealership perform? There are a few different computer modules in our trucks.

Its also possible they didn't update squat; they may have hooked up to your computer, saw there were no updates available, and called it done. I've seen dealerships do this "update check" and call it a "performed update" on an invoice. If they actually did do a reflash or an update, your receipt/invoice should show exactly what update they performed.

You could try the old factory re-learn/reset. Disconnect battery cables for 30+ minutes, reconnect them. This wipes a lot of the "learning" the computer has done on your driving style (or previous owner if you bought it used), and forces it to relearn your driving style. Solved some tranny issues in the past for some folks in the 4th gen section.
Some things in your uConnect may take a while to come back fully (hours) and won't show up in your screens until they do, so don't freak out. Your MPG may go down a little for a short period of time as it relearns, and the truck may behave strangely for a little bit as well. All can be normal with a relearn.
Hey thank you for your response. I have a quick question about the invoice. You said they would show exactly what update they performed, on the invoice it just says “performed update relating to shifting quality” Do you think this means they actually performed an update? Tech wasn’t able to replicate the issue so sometimes it makes me think nothing was done.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey thank you for your response. I have a quick question about the invoice. You said they would show exactly what update they performed, on the invoice it just says “performed update relating to shifting quality” Do you think this means they actually performed an update? Tech wasn’t able to replicate the issue so sometimes it makes me think nothing was done.
I assume you are referring to the work order (invoice) that was handed you.

Hard to say, but in order for the service dept. to submit a claim against warranty hours there should be a reference to a TSB on the work order. At least I've never seen otherwise.

I believe there is at least one TSB for shift quality issued against 2019 DTs. I would not be afraid to ask the service dept. for clarification.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 039377 miles.

gscarazz

Reaction score
I assume you are referring to the work order (invoice) that was handed you.

Hard to say, but in order for the service dept. to submit a claim against warranty hours there should be a reference to a TSB on the work order. At least I've never seen otherwise.

I believe there is at least one TSB for shift quality issued against 2019 DTs. I would not be afraid to ask the service dept. for clarification.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 039377 miles.
My trucks a 2020 1500 with the 5.7. Would they perform a tsb ment for 2019’s on a 2020?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My trucks a 2020 1500 with the 5.7. Would they perform a tsb ment for 2019’s on a 2020?
Need to read update/TSB on what models its for. With that said I have seen updates applied to trucks that it wasn't originally referenced for in the TSB.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My apologies. When I answered you and remarked about a transmission shift quality TSB for 2019s, I didn't mean to imply that there wasn't one for 2020s. I'm just not aware of one that applies to '20s at the moment.

I can tell you this since I know a number of CDJR techs, they have told me that in pursuit of diagnosing a symptom they will sometimes apply a flash from a TSB that is not suppose to apply to the vehicle in question based on VIN or date range.

Best regards,
Dusty

Users who are viewing this thread