5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the BW 48-12 (non 4W Auto) transfer case available in the 2025 Rebel? And overheating 2024 BW 48-11 (4 Auto) transfer cases question

Jkub

Reaction score
Hi all,

Searched and found threads mainly in the 2022 range on the overheating 4Auto transfer cases (the BW 48-11 cases with clutches). Have reviewed a bunch of those and the decision between the two transfer cases appears to come down to how you'll use your truck. In reviewing the threads the 48-11s were an improvement regarding overheating versus the prior generation of BW wet clutch transfer cases with 4 Auto.

All that said, for my intended use, the part-time non wet clutch 4WD system (48-12) is a better choice. Both versions of the transfer cases were available in the Rebel all the way to 2024. I went to the build page for a 2025 Rebel and didn't see the option under powertrain to choose the 48-12 part time 4WD system. An in the search current inventory you can't select the part time option (you can click it but it changes the number of trucks available from low hundreds to 45k, so clearly it is not working). None of the 2025 Rebels I've looked at online that are on dealer lots have the 48-12 (they all have the "4 Auto" button on the dash.

So the question is, Are the 48-12 transfer cases (part time) gonna be available in the 2025 Rebels or did Ram discontinue them? Bad move if they did.

A secondary question is: for those that have 2024 Rebels with the 48-11 wet clustch 4Auto system, have you ever experienced the 4x4 system overheating issue. Wondering if they got better as time went on.

Thanks, for any responses.

2021QCBH

Reaction score
So you’re saying people just buy the rebel for the looks ? Ha.

Mines an auto case (non rebel) it works out great for my use. I know they dropped the auto case from the lower level big horn models 2024 (believe you have to get level 2?). Maybe the 2025 low BH comes with the non auto case which will tell you if it’s still available but maybe discontinued from Rebel use which makes no sense.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, a few years ago, was out playing in the snow with a guy who had a Rebel with the 48-12 transfer case. Several times he had to stop because his truck showed his transfer case was overheating. I never had an issue with my Built to Serve and 48-11.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Like HSKR R/T above, I have the 4 auto T-case and have never had an overheating issue in 4WD or 4 Auto. Mind you I've never taken my truck rock crawling, but in the mud & snow or while towing my trailer it hasn't let me down in either mode, Auto or 4WD.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There have been a couple posts about overheating, but nothing that would indicate a design flaw. I think the 4th Gen auto t-case had issues so maybe that's where the stigma comes from.

Options change, but as far as I know the only 1500 available with a chain drive is a Tradesman/Warlock.

Here's the thread that springs to mind:

Jkub

Reaction score
In most situations off road the 4 Auto TCs seem to work fine. I'm looking at getting an off road Boreas EOS 12 camping trailer (about 4500 lbs) and intend to pull it off road nothing extreme. Hence the focus on 4WD overheating.
Having the mechanical locking 48-12 part time case seems to be a better choice in this scenario.

That said, it's looking like we don't have a choice for part time non 4 auto TCs in the 2025 Rebel.

Jkub

Reaction score
The 4 Auto transfer case in the 5th gen has some instances of overheating also so not just a 4th gen issue. Here's a couple of YT videos on it. In his second video 4Low tried to reproduce the overheating while not towing anything or trying to pull another truck out of the mud but could not.

Users who are viewing this thread