5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is RAM Building A New Midsized Pickup Truck?

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Is RAM Building A New Midsized Pickup Truck?​

Will It Come To The U.S. & Canada...​

1618962960239.png

It’s been a decade since the RAM brand axed the midsized Dodge Dakota from its lineup. The Dakota, once a leader in the segment for being the first to offer a V8 engine option as well as the first true four-door offering, became too expensive and ended up becoming too close in price to the bigger Ram 1500 model which ultimately leading to its demise.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I leased a 1997 Dakota Club Cab, then bought a 2001 Quad Cab (which was a crew cab). Loved those trucks.

Before buying my 1500, I test drove two midsize trucks: Ford Ranger and Chevy Colorado (also looked at, but didn’t drive, the GMC Canyon). Neither particularly impressed me.

If a Dakota was available, there’s a good chance I would have bought it. Now that I’ve owned a full size truck, though, I don’t know if I’d want a midsize one again. Perhaps if I were to do some more serious off roaring, where the smaller size could be an asset.

Nonetheless, midsize trucks do have an audience, and the offerings from GM and Ford (I haven’t looked at Toyota and Nissan) are lacking in many areas, so I’d think this would an opportunity for Ram.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would like to see them offer one again, hopefully not a Fiat unit body but a real truck. You would think they could take the Jeep Gladiator platform and put a more traditional pickup body on it.

Users who are viewing this thread