5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Off-road package the way to go?

Bcryan

Reaction score
I don't have the RAM Navigation either. Which I don't mind, I use Apple CarPlay and GaiaGPS.
Love my North package..loaded to the level I like and the All weather mats are pretty dam good. Wish there was a lift package that you could get for future needs. The trailer braking and diff lock I use a lot on the fall and winter. Coming down a mountain on dirt roads frozen over with a closed race trailer ( 4 wheelers ) or snowmobile triller with 4 sleds it’s a huge must

Bcryan

Reaction score
In 2WD you can't engage it until under 20 mph and it will automatically disengage at 25 mph, which is annoying.

In 4LO you can go as high as 40 mph with the e-locker engaged, but the Owner's Manual does not recommend 4LO above 25 mph ("Take care not to overspeed the engine").
I’m confused…why would you need the e-lock in two wheel drive?
If you know your truck and sound of your transmission/tires you should have problems going faster in 4LO.

just asking because I don’t understand

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you know your truck and sound of your transmission/tires you should have problems going faster in 4LO.

I'll throw out a partial answer for me. I hit the button when I need to pull out in heavy traffic with an unloaded truck, especially in the rain. Of course the heart stopping ECM lag doesn't help either, but I get it done. Less stress on drivetrain than 4hi, and the tradesman doesn't have 4auto. I also use it when wheeling alone sometimes with this intent - if I get stuck in 2hi, I should be able to get out in 4wd. Lastly, my dad would only buy a 2wd and he pulls a camper, so I recommended elocker so that it is positively engaged when he tries to pull his camper thru wet grass.

Last edited:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Times I lock the rear (not off-roading):

1. I have the hard downshift problem (several warranty visits to the dealership - a couple of TCM re-flashes and it's better but still there). My truck hangs in 3rd until it is all but stopped. If I start to give it some gas before the truck is stopped, the truck jerks into 2nd or 1st (throttle lag combined with hard downshift) and jumps forward. On a wet/loose surface that's a guarantee that my traction control will activate. If I have the axle locked then there's no slippage.

2. San Diego does not see a whole lot of heavy precipitation. It doesn't take much to make the roads slick if the sky decides to grace us with some always-needed rain. Leaving a red light at an intersection I will get wheel spin with mild acceleration as I cross the white crosswalk paint lines. For those times I lock the rear at the red, accelerate across the intersection when the light turns green, then unlock the rear.

3. Getting up/down my truck ramps to change the oil. I have a gravel driveway so traction is at a premium. I lock the rear when going up and down the ramps (especially up) so that I don't dig a hole in the driveway with my right rear tire or slip on the ramps. I'm usually in 4LO also but having both rear wheels driving from the get go makes a big difference.

4. Because that's the only option for the ORG. I was on the fence about an e-locker (never had one before) but the ORG was a 'must-have' on my list so that made the decision for me.

There are other times that pop up that the e-locker comes in handy but those are the recurring times I use it that come to mind.

My last 2 trucks had LSDs and there are maybe a handful of times (out of the last 20 years) that I didn't foresee the need for extra traction and thought "I'm glad the LSD engaged". I'm not young so hot-rodding around and doing donuts in the shopping center parking lot on Saturday night are way in my past. I can foresee the need for traction 99% of the time so I can hit the button on my dash (e-locker or 4WD) to be ready for it. Maybe if I lived somewhere that had all 4 seasons I would be singing a different tune but down here winter is only about a week long and that's because it might...might...get down to 40F at night during that time.

Last edited:

Bcryan

Reaction score
I understand now and yeah I am way past burning my tires off in a parking lot. Humidity is just as bad or worse on slick tar. It’s similar to the fall here when it rains and the leaves are on the roads.. it’s worse than driving in snow

Bcryan

Reaction score
Sorry I thought you were talking 4 wheel drive with all wheel drive

awesymoto

Reaction score
Anybody notice their window sticker doesn’t list anything about front/rear shocks specifically with the off road group? mine only says “raised ride height”

Mathis35

Reaction score
Anybody notice their window sticker doesn’t list anything about front/rear shocks specifically with the off road group? mine only says “raised ride height”
I believe that's listed on build sheet, not window sticker.

J-barcarp

54 year old teenager
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 19 north edition build sheet says “springs” all around
and “HD shocks” front and rear.
and 3.55 rear.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 19 north edition build sheet says “springs” all around
and “HD shocks” front and rear.
and 3.55 rear.
I thought the only trim that has a 3.55 rear was the TRX?

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
You get the scaled down off road pages in instrument cluster, but not in the infotainment. Though to be fair I don't know if all trucks get that instrument cluster page or not.
I get instrument cluster pages, but no infotainment pages. Big Horn with lvl2 and 8.4 screen.
I think my ride is a bit stiff. And that was even before I aired my tires up to 40ish psi. Even though my door sticker says 30 something, my tires would have a bulge in them as if they were underinflated. It really bothered me, so I aired up.
Full size spare tire...awesome, considering not everyone else got one. But no TPMS sensor drove me crazy. Could I get one in the spare tire? Or if I bought a 5th rim, to include in tire rotations?

Tika

Reaction score
Doesn’t the Off-Road Package also give you a full size spare? I don’t have the package but thought I read that somewhere.
Oem designs pkgs like off road to be as cheap as possible and marketed heavily

I would get towing, mechanical, interior options from factory as sometimes impossible or expensive to do aftermarket........off road is better suited to aftermarket for suspension, tires, etc......no comparison thru any brand

Mechanical thru factory
Suspension and tires thru aftermarket

Users who are viewing this thread