5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Off-road package the way to go?

Randy Hummel

Reaction score
BTW, how do you like the 3.92 rear end compared to stnd 3.21? Is there noticeable mileage difference. Does the 3.92 travel at full highway speeds, 75-85mph, nicely?
I have the 3.92 gears and can cruise at 85 mph all day long. I drive through Utah a lot and the speed limit is 80 so everyone drives 85.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Yes, it is a good start if only for the elocker and skid plates, unless you are hard core after market, then nothing OEM matters.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I kind of wish I would have gotten the off road package. If you don't plan on modifying your suspention I think the extra 1" is enought to make it look more like a 4x4 truck v.s that standard ride 4x4 which is actually the same height as a 2wd.

JimKIII

Reaction score
I have the 3.92 gears and can cruise at 85 mph all day long. I drive through Utah a lot and the speed limit is 80 so everyone drives 85.
What engine is in the truck, and what type of highway mileage do you average?

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll agree with everyone about the ride. I wasn't sure what to expect and worried that the ride would be more truck-like, but I can't see how the ride would be better without ORG--it's really smooth. I don't think I'll be in an off-road situation to need the skid plates often, but it's nice to have them--who knows, there seem to be a lot of retreads on the interstate lately. I do think the hill descent will be useful, along with the e-locker.

Since most people replying have ORG, what PSI are you running on the Falkens? The sticker on the door says 32. When I was driving it home from the dealer, the pressures were in the mid-to-upper 40s, so I imagine they had it around 40psi cold?

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll agree with everyone about the ride. I wasn't sure what to expect and worried that the ride would be more truck-like, but I can't see how the ride would be better without ORG--it's really smooth. I don't think I'll be in an off-road situation to need the skid plates often, but it's nice to have them--who knows, there seem to be a lot of retreads on the interstate lately. I do think the hill descent will be useful, along with the e-locker.

Since most people replying have ORG, what PSI are you running on the Falkens? The sticker on the door says 32. When I was driving it home from the dealer, the pressures were in the mid-to-upper 40s, so I imagine they had it around 40psi cold?
I took the air down to 32. Vehicles are shipped with over-inflated tires to prevent flat spots during transit.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
I took the air down to 32. Vehicles are shipped with over-inflated tires to prevent flat spots during transit.
There is no issue with flat spotting on modern radials. Bias plys will. I ran Super Swamper bias plys many years ago and those suckers would thump pretty good until warmed up, especially if they sat for a day or two.

dinomufin

Reaction score
Stupid question but how do I know if my truck has the off road package? It's not on my Marone sticker, but I have skid plates, hill descent control, electronic rear locker, 3.92 diff. It's a BTS edition; does that include off road package?

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stupid question but how do I know if my truck has the off road package? It's not on my Marone sticker, but I have skid plates, hill descent control, electronic rear locker, 3.92 diff. It's a BTS edition; does that include off road package?
Yes, all BTS trucks have the ORP.

dinomufin

Reaction score
Yes, all BTS trucks have the ORP.
Curious; it appears that way. But I don't have the Off Road pages like a non-BTS truck.

Also, what's the key differences that make the off road package that much better? Is it the exact same transfer case and drive train? Just skid plates, lift, HDC, rear locker?

I'm mainly curious if the ORP has the same weakness as 4x4 Rams without it: weaker/overheating transfer case.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Curious; it appears that way. But I don't have the Off Road pages like a non-BTS truck.

Also, what's the key differences that make the off road package that much better? Is it the exact same transfer case and drive train? Just skid plates, lift, HDC, rear locker?

I'm mainly curious if the ORP has the same weakness as 4x4 Rams without it: weaker/overheating transfer case.
Maybe not the software, but all the mechanical parts and pieces in the BTS of the ORP per my understanding. Transfer case over heating? The BTS Edition also has the LED light package but doesn't say it. Or at least the front headlights which is what I wanted having suffered through the halogens for many years, putting on after market LED's that were still wanting...but looked good. And you essentially get a "black out" package with the BTS although I was told it was Matte instead of more glossy? I prefer Matte. Painted door handles scratch if you wear a ring. The wheels are quite nice and the tires not bad... It would have been nice if the BTS 5.7's were all 3.92, but I guess some just want to tool around in them. I want to tow...

dinomufin

Reaction score
Maybe not the software, but all the mechanical parts and pieces in the BTS of the ORP per my understanding. Transfer case over heating? The BTS Edition also has the LED light package but doesn't say it. Or at least the front headlights which is what I wanted having suffered through the halogens for many years, putting on after market LED's that were still wanting...but looked good. And you essentially get a "black out" package with the BTS although I was told it was Matte instead of more glossy? I prefer Matte. Painted door handles scratch if you wear a ring. The wheels are quite nice and the tires not bad... It would have been nice if the BTS 5.7's were all 3.92, but I guess some just want to tool around in them. I want to tow...
Definitely matte, that plus the ceramic gray meant that I would have tolerated any other options to own this truck. My wife was smitten with it too. They had a 4x4 Cummins on the lot with very few options but only $1k more and I didn't care.

Thankfully I did get 3.92. And it's LED all around which are great.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it the exact same transfer case and drive train? Just skid plates, lift, HDC, rear locker?

Correct, the ORP does not have a different transfer case or drivetrain. It uses the same clutch-based BW 48-11

Last edited:

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You get the scaled down off road pages in instrument cluster, but not in the infotainment. Though to be fair I don't know if all trucks get that instrument cluster page or not.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

What year is your truck? Off road pages were added to MY 2021, though I don’t know if that included BTS.

ej23

Reaction score
You get the scaled down off road pages in instrument cluster, but not in the infotainment. Though to be fair I don't know if all trucks get that instrument cluster page or not.
I have a 19 Bighorn with the ORP and 8.4. No offroad pages. Man what am I missing out on?

Users who are viewing this thread