5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Off-road package the way to go?

JimKIII

Reaction score
I'm putting together an order for a 2022 Bighorn 4x4, CC, 5.7L V8 with trailer-tow package. I expect to be driving sometimes on logging roads but never any stump-jumping boulder driving. I've had skids plates on my 2004 Dakota 4x4 so rocks don't fly up and damage the undercarriage when on dirt/logging roads, and that's what I'd like on this new rig.

That being said, and since I don't plan spending most of my time off pavement, is the Off-road package too much? I can get the skid plates with the Protection-Group, and include the anti-spin rear axle instead of the electronic-locking axle that comes with the Off-road stuff. I'm wondering if the beefed-up shocks that come with the Off-road package are going to add too much stiffness to normal highway and around-town driving. Thoughts?

Last edited:

jedgar81

Reaction score
I have an off-rod package and the suspension is super soft, so I wouldn’t worry about it being too stiff.

It is also 1” higher (so I’d think slightly worse fuel economy) and has the rear locker like you mentioned. I regularly use the locker exploring around, but if you don’t feel you need one it may not be worth getting the package. Also just to note the skids cover most things but the plastic transmission pan is still totally unprotected.

JimKIII

Reaction score
I have an off-rod package and the suspension is super soft, so I wouldn’t worry about it being too stiff.

It is also 1” higher (so I’d think slightly worse fuel economy) and has the rear locker like you mentioned. I regularly use the locker exploring around, but if you don’t feel you need one it may not be worth getting the package. Also just to note the skids cover most things but the plastic transmission pan is still totally unprotected.
Thanks for replying. Is the electronic rear locker manually initiated with a switch on the dash, or computer initiated via sensors? (I hope it's manual.)
How bizarre they leave the tranny pan unprotected - and plastic at that!! A plastic pan seems like it could be the Achilles heel especially if it isn't protected. Do you know if there are aftermarket skid plates for that? I'd hate to have to find some shop guy to custom fabricate something.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I have the offroad package on my 21 and it is very soft on the highway. It's almost doesn't even feel like a truck. I believe the offroad package also sits up another inch over trucks without it. As far as comfort is concerned this is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. Is the electronic rear locker manually initiated with a switch on the dash, or computer initiated via sensors? (I hope it's manual.)
How bizarre they leave the tranny pan unprotected - and plastic at that!! A plastic pan seems like it could be the Achilles heel especially if it isn't protected. Do you know if there are aftermarket skid plates for that? I'd hate to have to find some shop guy to custom fabricate something.
It is a manual switch on the dash

JimKIII

Reaction score
I just found this thread about the plastic tranny pan:

CentralPaRam

Reaction score
I'm putting together an order for a 2022 Bighorn 4x4, CC, 5.7L V8 with trailer-tow package. I expect to be driving sometimes on logging roads but never any stump-jumping boulder driving. I've had skids plates on my 2004 Dakota 4x4 so rocks don't fly up and damage the undercarriage when on dirt/logging roads, and that's what I'd like on this new rig.

That being said, and since I don't plan spending most of my time off pavement, is the Off-road package too much? I can get the skid plates with the Protection-Group, and include the anti-spin rear axle instead of the electronic-locking axle that comes with the Off-road stuff. I'm wondering if the beefed-up shocks that come with the Off-road package are going to add too much stiffness to normal highway and around-town driving. Thoughts?
I was thinking the same thing, but if you add the anti-spin diff and the protection package, you are already spending more money than the off-road group, which also gives you hill decent control, tow hooks, off-road pages, 1inch lift, and Faulken Wildpeak tires. Seemed like the better value to me. I really liked the Rebel, but you can’t get it with a 6’4’’ box, so this seemed like a good compromise.

JimKIII

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, but if you add the anti-spin diff and the protection package, you are already spending more money than the off-road group, which also gives you hill decent control, tow hooks, off-road pages, 1inch lift, and Faulken Wildpeak tires. Seemed like the better value to me. I really liked the Rebel, but you can’t get it with a 6’4’’ box, so this seemed like a good compromise.
I agree - and good points on the price.

JimKIII

Reaction score
BTW, how do you like the 3.92 rear end compared to stnd 3.21? Is there noticeable mileage difference. Does the 3.92 travel at full highway speeds, 75-85mph, nicely?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

If you’ll use most of the features in the ORG, it’s a good value.

CentralPaRam

Reaction score
BTW, how do you like the 3.92 rear end compared to stnd 3.21? Is there noticeable mileage difference. Does the 3.92 travel at full highway speeds, 75-85mph, nicely?
Should get my truck in about a week, so I can’t really say at this point. I debated the 3.21 vs 3.92 a lot as well. Looking back, My one concern with the 3.92 is that while it gives you more towing capacity, I don’t know if I will ever be able to take full advantage because you have to take into account tongue weight into your payload capacity (and the payload on these trucks is pretty low if you load them up). Lots more on this by people smarter than me here:

sheepdogtrail

Reaction score
I have 2021 Bighorn / North Edition. The ORG shocks and struts and not stiff at all. If I was going to get a 2022, I would have a hard look at the new 2022 Back country package. I essentially built the same thing from my 2021 order with the exception of lower two tone paint on the rockers which is not available from the factory on the Big Horn / North Edition. The Back Country uses the same shocks and struts as the ORG.

jedgar81

Reaction score
Yea it is a switch on the dash.

I have the transmission skid from Delthoff on my truck and it has good coverage and seems very good quality. https://dethloffmfg.com/products/armor/

Plastic does seem weird but it is probably better for impact than a thin aluminum one in reality

Last edited:

JimKIII

Reaction score
Doesn’t the Off-Road Package also give you a full size spare? I don’t have the package but thought I read that somewhere.
Yes it does:

Off-Road Group​

$840
  • Electronic Locking Rear Axle
  • Front Extra-Heavy-Duty Shock Absorbers
  • Front Suspension Skid-Plate
  • Fuel Tank Skid-Plate
  • Full-Size Spare Tire
  • Hill-Descent Control
  • "Off-Road" Decals
  • Off-Road Information Pages
  • Rear Extra-Heavy-Duty Shock Absorbers
  • Steering Gear Skid-Plate
  • Tow Hooks
  • Transfer-Case Skid-Plate
  • 275/55R20 OWL All-Terrain Tires (Unavailable with some configurations)
  • LT275/65R18C OWL On / Off Road Tires (Unavailable with some configurations)

jedgar81

Reaction score
$840
  • Electronic Locking Rear Axle
  • Front Extra-Heavy-Duty Shock Absorbers
  • Front Suspension Skid-Plate
  • Fuel Tank Skid-Plate
  • Full-Size Spare Tire
  • Hill-Descent Control
  • "Off-Road" Decals
  • Off-Road Information Pages
  • Rear Extra-Heavy-Duty Shock Absorbers
  • Steering Gear Skid-Plate
  • Tow Hooks
  • Transfer-Case Skid-Plate
  • 275/55R20 OWL All-Terrain Tires (Unavailable with some configurations)
  • LT275/65R18C OWL On / Off Road Tires (Unavailable with some configurations)
This list makes me realize I have replaced almost everything the package came with 😄. But for $840 it is worth it for just the locker.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
The value is definitely there. An e locker install alone aftermarket would be as much or more than the org package.

Mathis35

Reaction score
I'm working on ordering a Back Country in the next few weeks.

Comes with quite a few things I'd have opted for anyway.

Excluded by your selection
Back Country Package
$2480
$2695
-inc: Tires: LT275/65R18C OWL On/Off Road, Off Road Decals, Steering Gear Skid Plate, Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, Black Headlamp Bezels, Front Suspension Skid Plate, Pick-Up Box Lighting, Front Extra HD Shock Absorbers, MOPAR Black Tubular Side Steps, Power 8-Way Driver Seat, Auto Dim Exterior Driver Mirror, Tire: Full Size Spare, MOPAR Deployable Bed Step, E-Locker Rear Axle, RAM Grille Badge - Black, Black Painted Exterior Mirrors Caps, Off-Road Information Pages, Painted Rear Bumper, Painted Front Bumper, Wheels: 18" x 8.0" Black Painted Aluminum, Back Country I/P Badge, Accent Color Premium Power Mirrors, Exterior Mirrors w/Supplemental Signals, MOPAR 4 Adjustable Cargo Tie-Down Hooks, Exterior Mirrors Courtesy Lamps, MOPAR Spray In Bedliner, Rear Extra HD Shock Absorbers, Black Exterior Truck Badging, Grille Surround 1 Body Color Texture 1 Black, Lower Two Tone Paint, Tow Hooks, Dual Exhaust w/Black Tips, Power-Folding Mirrors, Transfer Case Skid Plate, Fuel Tank Skid Plate, MOPAR Front & Rear Rubber Floor Mats, Hill Descent Control
w/A62-inc: Cluster 7.0" TFT Color Display w/XB9-inc: Truck Bed Cargo Divider

Users who are viewing this thread