5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is My Radio Bricked?

Kevinc13

Reaction score
I have my trucked at a local car stereo installer. They are replacing the factory speaker, adding a couple amps and a new sub box. When they went to power everything up the radio wont come on. They are trying to figure something out but Im wondering if my radio is dead. Its the 8.4 non nav.

Kevinc13

Reaction score
Well to answer my own question, yes it is bricked. The stereo installer claimed that nothing had been connected to the radio yet, he had only installed the door speakers. The dealer ship took it in and tried flashing it a few times and agreed that the stereo was bricked, and it wasnt the stereo installers fault. So now they have made a warranty claim on it and ordered a new radio. They informed me it would probably be another 3 weeks at least before I would have a replacement. I asked why it would be so long since the week before I had inquired about buying a new radio when I thought the stereo installer had blown it up, and they told me next day. He told me the warranty radios were refurbished not new, and that they were hard to come by.
I told him I have owned the truck for 2 months, and 2 weeks of it have been without a radio, back up camera, a/c controls, etc., and that I really didnt want a used radio in it. It didnt matter to him in the slightest.
So now I have bought a brand new stereo, it came in on Saturday and is getting installed today. I hope this is the last I have to deal with that service department.

deanfx

Reaction score
Well to answer my own question, yes it is bricked. The stereo installer claimed that nothing had been connected to the radio yet, he had only installed the door speakers. The dealer ship took it in and tried flashing it a few times and agreed that the stereo was bricked, and it wasnt the stereo installers fault. So now they have made a warranty claim on it and ordered a new radio. They informed me it would probably be another 3 weeks at least before I would have a replacement. I asked why it would be so long since the week before I had inquired about buying a new radio when I thought the stereo installer had blown it up, and they told me next day. He told me the warranty radios were refurbished not new, and that they were hard to come by.
I told him I have owned the truck for 2 months, and 2 weeks of it have been without a radio, back up camera, a/c controls, etc., and that I really didnt want a used radio in it. It didnt matter to him in the slightest.
So now I have bought a brand new stereo, it came in on Saturday and is getting installed today. I hope this is the last I have to deal with that service department.
Out of curiousity, how much is a replacement radio?

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
Mine has been shutting off on its own for no apparent reason lately, sometimes takes a full day to turn back on

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your problem, can you provide us with the needed part number for that radio ?

Wolf

Reaction score
What does bricked mean
"Bricked" is a term commonly used in regards to smart phones, but extends to all electronics. Basically it refers to the item being nothing but a brick, paper weight, rock, because it no longer does anything except take up space. Completely dead.

Aberamrod19

Reaction score
"Bricked" is a term commonly used in regards to smart phones, but extends to all electronics. Basically it refers to the item being nothing but a brick, paper weight, rock, because it no longer does anything except take up space. Completely dead.
ok Thanks

Bradleys

Reaction score
So, instead of waiting for two weeks, you decided to pony up the $1,000 our of your own pocket?

Users who are viewing this thread